Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone say that can’t port a landline number fromTalk talk

Mbarrand
First Timer
Message 14 of 14

I am helping a relative and they are being told by Vodafone that their landline number cannot be transferred from TalkTalk to them (as TalkTalk don’t allow it I gather). The number is to be used at the same address, and from what I can tell on the Ofcom website it should be possible to move a number. Does anyone have any insight into this situation?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 1 of 14

Glad you got there!

It's normally via the menu, community and the drop down from "help with your service ".

20220609_142511.jpg

In case anyone else is wondering!

Screenshot_20220609-142544_Chrome.jpg

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

found it

Go to All Topics!! not a mention of message boards :0)

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Great idea, where is the message board?  cannot see it on the screen...

Even this page looks differnt to what I can see

William222_0-1654780987904.png

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 4 of 14

It's best to start your own thread, @William222 if you need support with any issues. 

You need to return to the message board and click on "start a topic".

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Well I have this from an on line chat with Vodafone. They will port my existing number if a direct application to them.

"Perfect so we have two option here,
1. We can place order here on this chat for you with above Talk Talk number.
2. You can place order on website with new landline number and then we will port this number later after activation."

Question - will the joining voucher still apply if we take route 1?

Answer - I am sorry, but same cannot be apply as its provided by third party only.

Question - so why does my number not match the address on the website appliction?

Answer - Its due to number is shown for other address, but if its Talk Talk number and (probably from BT Openreach), you can port in same later for free of cost.

I dont understand what 'other address' means because we have been at the address for years and it is the provider changing rather than the address.

This just feels bad at the moment...

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 14

Ofcom are indeed introducing new regulations, effective from April 2023. To give providers "time" to implement the changes. Mustn't inconvenience a gigantic multi-billion pound industry at the expense of customers now, must we?  

Message 7 of 14

An interesting discussion about this on the Vodafone forum, @William222:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/Porting-my-46-year-old-landline-number/td-p/2704973

If you read to the end, you'll see that things appear to have become more complicated because of the new VoIP options as well as multiple providers. 

Perhaps the regulator has not kept up with the pace of change? They were supposed to be making all of this easier....

Or perhaps indeed the regulator needs to catch up with what the companies are actually getting up to?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Interesting comment. Why is an agreement required to move a landline number?

Ofcom statement from their website;

"People and businesses have the right to keep their telephone numbers, regardless of which phone company they are with.

Under Ofcom rules, phone companies must allow customers to take their telephone number with them to a new provider when they switch. This is known as ‘number porting’. "

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-protections-stamp-out-switching-fr....

Please clarify why an agreement is needed.

thank you

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 14

Hi Mbarrand

Just to re-confirm there is currently no porting agreement between us and Vodafone. 

Sorry

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 10 of 14
0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 11 of 14

Strangely, @Mbarrand, it is probably correct that there is not currently a porting agreement between Talktalk and Vodafone. 

The other day, in this thread, staff replied that it can't currently be done the other way around, from Vodafone to Talktalk. 

Probably works (or rather doesn't work!) both ways:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Phone/port-home-number/td-p/2881123

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 14

Just another thought, you haven't already given TalkTalk notice of cancellation, have you? 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Nonsense. As you say, Ofcom rules require it. Tell Vodafone that they simply need to notify TalkTalk that they are taking over the line. If they can't, or won't do it then it is down to them, not TalkTalk. 

0 Likes