cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Important HDMI setting hidden within the Settings cog wheel

Speedology
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 2

I’ve just had full fibre 150 installed along with the new eero router and TV hub and I have to say that getting TT television set up properly has been difficult.  I followed the directions on the TT website to connect the router via wifi to the TV box and used a good HDMI cable to connect the box to a spare port on my TV (Samsung BU8500).  Then the “fun” commenced!  No matter what adjustments to settings I tried when the box and tv were switched on the screen would repeatedly change to a blank screen with a ‘floating’ error message that was difficult to understand.  A further complication was that the TV box remote control would inexplicably stop having any effect and I would have to switch to the TV’s remote to get any response at all.

After several days of messing about with different options and vainly searching for a helpful forum post I eventually stumbled over the solution.  I’m setting this information down in case it is helpful for others who may be struggling with a similar issue.

Firstly you need to get into the Home Screen of the TV hub and then navigate with the remote to the Settings cog wheel icon at top right of the Home Screen.  Once you have selected this a long vertical menu appears and you scroll down to ‘Device Preferences’.  A new menu then unfolds and you scroll down to select ‘HDMI’ and then you toggle on the option named ‘HDMI CEC’.  Somehow using this setting made the system work properly.

Although it might not be completely relevant to this problem I should mention for completeness sake that I found an option within the settings of the TV that might be worth experimenting with.  This is of course a setting for a Samsung smart tv but it may be that there is something similar in the settings menu of other televisions.  The setting in question is called ‘Start Screen Options’ (within General & Privacy) and I set this to ‘start with smart hub home’.

I’m sure other customers will agree with me that the guidance provided by TT on their web pages is woefully inadequate in supporting the average user of this very technical equipment.  In my struggles over the last few days I came very close to losing patience with the whole thing.

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 2

Hi

Thanks for posting this information, this will prove useful to other customers searching for solutions to similar issues.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes