cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband "dropping out"

rautospoon
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 60 of 60

Hi. For the last few weeks my broadband (Fibre 65) has been "dropping out" numerous times a day. It only "drops out" for a few minutes then comes back on again of its own accord, I have a NTE 5C Openreach Box (fitted last year), a Sagemcom FAST5364 Router and "wired" Ethernet. I have also noticed recently that my download speed has reduced from over 60 Mbps to around 45.Mbps  I've not touched, changed or fiddled with anything. Any ideas, how to resove these issues ?

0 Likes
59 REPLIES 59

Message 21 of 60

OK.

Message 22 of 60

Hi rautospoon

No problem 🙂

I will check in again with you after the engineer visit.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 60

Thanks.

Message 24 of 60

Hi rautospoon

Yes, if you squeeze the 2 clips on either side of the face plate then the cover should come away to reveal the test socket.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 60

Thanks for that appreciated. Will advise the outcome.

Am I right in thinking my test socket is inside my Master Socket 5C ?

Message 26 of 60

Hi rautospoon

I've arranged the engineer visit for 10/04/2024 AM (8am - 1pm)

The master socket up to the test socket is classed as Openreach maintained equipment so the line outside, cabinet etc is maintained by Openreach and classed as their equipment.

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 27 of 60

Hi Debbie. Any day this week  (10, 11, 12 April) AM or PM is fine.

Confirmed re. potential enginer charges but I do expect the problem (definitely not of my making) to be fully and finally resolved.

It will be intersting to see if the cause of this problem can be established and cured -  but could it be caused by anything other than the router (new and supplied by TT), Master Socket (supplied and installed by OR) or "line" all of which are the responsibilty of TT / OR and thus not "chargeable" to me ?

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 60

Hi rautospoon

Please can you provide your availability for this visit AM and PM?

Can you also confirm potential engineer charges Engineer charges

0 Likes

Message 29 of 60

Hi Debbie. The new router has never been disconnected from my Master Socket 5C since it was installed.

Thanks for the kind offer of a visit from an Openreach engineer which I believe is required to hopefully finally resolve this problem.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 60

Hi rautospoon

Thanks for confirming.

I can see that we sent a new router recently (in the last few months) so we can rule this out.

If the router is not usually connected at the test socket then it would be worth trying the test socket so we can also rule this out.

Would you like me to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to investigate further?

0 Likes

Message 31 of 60

It has "dropped out" when both wet and dry, although it does seem worse this morning when very wet.

An Openreach engineer once told me that "connections can corrode in the BT underground junction box" - could that be a factor here ?

Message 32 of 60

Hi rautospoon

Thanks for your reply.

Does it appear to be weather related? (I know everywhere has had rain)

0 Likes

Message 33 of 60

Hi Debbie and thanks for the speedy reply.

Nothing has been changed or moved since the day the router was installed and the line checked by the Openreach engineer.

When I did my own line and speed trests they also were both fine.

My broadband has "dropped out" 3 times this morning each time for just under a minute.

All seems rather strange !

0 Likes

Message 34 of 60

Hi rautospoon

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line test is clear but I can see a couple of re connections. Is the router still at the test socket?

0 Likes

rautospoon
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 60

Hi Debbie. Unfortunately my Broadband has started to "drop out" again for about a minute or so a few times a day. Line, speed and (new) Router are all working fine. Is there anything else that could be causing this ? Would "turning off" my Router for a short time be helpful ?

Many thanks.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 60

Morning Debbie. Thanks very much.

0 Likes

Message 37 of 60

Hi rautospoon

Apologies for this.

I'm just sending you a Private Message now.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 38 of 60

Hi Debbie. As the problem I had was 100% caused by the defective TalkTalk router (which you kindly replaced) please can you arrange a cancellation /  refund of the £75 I have been inexplicably charged for the (Openreach) "engineer visit", on my monthly bill received today.

Please confirm.

Many thanks.

0 Likes

Message 39 of 60

Thanks Debbie, will do.

Message 40 of 60

Hi rautospoon

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes