Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband stops every time I receive a landline telephone call

6 REPLIES 6
MAyling001
First Timer

All household members learning and working from home using computers and on Skype calls, Teams meeting or zoom sessions, home phone rings and all internet connectivity drops. Even if we don’t answer the phone all.  WiFi comes back up around 5 minutes later.

Unworkable. It’s been this way for several months but unable to raise a complaint with Talk Talk via live chat or see no method of emailing them during COVID times.

What do you think is the problem?

How are you supposed to reach Talk Talk help desk apart from writing a complaint letter?

martswain
Philosopher

0345 172 0046

Live Chat

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-live-chat-team/ta-p/2230529#U2230529

Opening hours on this page

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

If you are using a microfilter, change it and make sure all telephone extensions have a filter too.

If you have a filtered faceplate the inbuilt filter may have failed.

You can check by removing the faceplate and then using a microfilter in the test socket and seeing if the connection still drops.

Replacement faceplates are available to buy online.

Martin
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Just to supplement MartSwain's excellent answer.....

BT OR sockets.png

Good quality MicroFilters and wire/connection 3 in the telephone wiring causes problems.  

""

*3 is used to carry the ring signal, but is known to cause issues with broadband. Therefore never use wire *3, as most modern phones do not need it, if your telephone on the extension socket requires a ring capacitor, use a good quality microfilter that contains an inbuilt ring capacitor in it’s circuitry.

""

https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=microfilters

OR Amazon etc.

MAyling001
First Timer

Thanks Martin.

I phoned TalkTalk and after failed attempts to remotely fix the issue, I now have an engineer booked to get to the bottom of it. If a problem is found, I won’t pay but if not, I’ll have a full home survey to ensure optimal setup. Peace of mind either way.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

MAyling001
First Timer

Thanks Ann.

I didn’t have a micro filter so kept the testing pretty basic, remotely.

They couldn’t resolve it so have booked a engineer.

I appreciate your response.

Anonymous
Not applicable

EEErrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Unless you are using a filtered face plate, then a MicroFilter is a MUST HAVE.

BT say this...

You must use a microfilter for every phone socket in your home with any phone or broadband equipment plugged in (including your Hub, phones, answer machines, digital TV boxes, and alarm systems).

If your master socket has two sockets, like this:

This means that the line is already split between your phone and broadband, so you don't need microfilters - not for your Hub or any other devices connected to phone sockets or extensions.

You must always plug your Hub into the broadband connection on your master socket. If you plug it into a phone socket or extension, it just won't work.

That's all folks.

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi MAyling001

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie