cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

No improvement after calling helpline!!

wastinmytime
Team Player
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

For the last 5/6 days the speeds have been dire. At the moment using the talktalk speed check it is telling me 6.9mbps UPLOAD with 1.9mbps DOWNLOAD.!!!!!

The chap I talked to yesterday left me with speed up around the 35mbps. Next time I fire up my laptop it is back down around the 1 mbps mark!!  The only solution I find is turning off the router which I told the chap umpteen times. Today that actually got me back up to 35 mbps for 1/2 an hour but then it just drops.

NOW... DONT blame my devices etc. DONT charge me for an engineer as it does get 35mbps so TALKTALK have got to get it consistent. I had never seen 35 before yesterday as I always saw about 12mbps, coincidentally, the guarentted speed!! Now I am paying for 35mbps & getting... 6.9 at the moment.

I shall call again for another 40 odd minutes of repeating myself at some stage. By the way, been a customer for 20+ years & they just upped my fee by a third, because I am not on a contract of course, as I am moving soon & they messed up when my daughter movde & I didn t want the hassle.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi wastinmytime

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

wastinmytime
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 11

Hi Debbie, 

I think a replacement router is required please. The old one I am using at the moment continues to lose connection, which is why that was replaced.  

Message 3 of 11

Hi wastinmytime

I'm sorry for the delay. Would you like me to send a replacement router?

0 Likes

wastinmytime
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 11

Seems like the old router is maintaining the speed, a bit worrying that it went offline for 1/2 an hour a couple of days ago. I suppose that was why it was replaced!! The December speeds are here, a full version attached.

DateDownload SpeedUpload Speed
22/12/2021, 21:290.1647447.07496
23/12/2021, 08:301.3833526.887152
24/12/2021, 06:585.565167.19164
24/12/2021, 07:330.4096727.414392
24/12/2021, 10:2835.6426566.6042
25/12/2021, 09:4435.1730567.374328
27/12/2021, 08:1337.407927.11348
29/12/2021, 17:5334.8584246.788584
0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi

OK, see if the old router you are using maintains a steady speed, and if it does, this should prove the other router at fault and we can get a replacement out to you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

wastinmytime
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 11

Sorry for any delays as I cannot access my talktalk email if/when the speeds drop away. Times out!

0 Likes

wastinmytime
Team Player
Private Message
Message 7 of 11

I have the talktalk 'game changing' one which I purchased last year. 

Anyway, I got up this morning & it was around 6 mbps, just about tolerable for what I was doing. Then it fell away again to 1 mbps & below!! So dug out an old router as it seems to me that this must be the probelm??? Logically, if the speeds are up at the 30+mbps when it is turned back on again then the only thing within my house is the router as all devices are affected, so it cannot be anything viruslike on a device that is causing the speeds or the router to fall awya so drastically. So far the old router seems to be maintaining a reasonable speed for longer than half an hour at least!!  

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi wastinmytime

All tests are clear and the router is in sync at 39mb.

Have you tested another router to make sure this is ok ?

Is the phone line clear of any noise or crackles ?

Are you seeing the reduced speeds from a wired connection ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Hi @wastinmytime,

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your estimated speed range. If you log into your router to check your sync speed does this show speeds below that estimated range. If you run a speed test (ideally from both a wired and wireless device so that you can compare), how close are the speed test results to the sync speed shown on your router.

If your sync speed is good (i.e. the speed you would expect), and you are only getting issues with wireless devices, whereas wired devices get a good speed, then it is possible you may be suffering from Wi-Fi interference.

What model of router do you have ?

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes

wastinmytime
Team Player
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Also, the chap told me not to turn off the TalkTakl game changing router!! Supposedly getting updates every 4 hours?  What else was I going to do. This was the behaviour I was having to do for the previous 4/5 days to get any useable speed. 

0 Likes