cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Slow Broadband and dropping connection

Wullier
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

I have fibre 35 and I am only getting 22mb/s to router and a maximum of 16mb/s to devices. This is causing major buffering on Netflix/Disney+ and phone connection to wifi drops constantly and has been going on for months.

I have tried 4 times going through diagnostic checks and included waiting for 3 days. Each time I call they want to do another round of checks. 

I have been reporting for the first call that my router is running very hot. I had an issue a few years ago with the same symptoms and router running hot and received a new router which fixed the problems.

Around March 21 we had an issue with line quality and eventually a dead line, which was due to Openreach cutting us off thinking our line was inactive. No issues with line quality at the minute so doubt an issue here. Main Socket was replaced at this time as Engineer thought it was to old. 

Totally fed up with this now. The account is in my wife's name and they won't add me as an owner which is an utter pain to get any action.

I need an Engineer visit or a new router.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi Wullier

Try the 30 minute power down of the router as advised, as this will start a new session.

Also, does the home phone have a clear dial tone or is there any noise or crackling on the line.

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 2 of 7

If you have a sync speed of 26, but a speed test on a wired device is only giving you 16, then try switching your router off for over 30 minutes (if you haven't tried this already)

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

I borrowed a cable to try hard wired but made no difference.

I have tried changing the channels but still no difference and I am not that great with IT, so not something I am doing again or should be expected to do.

Nothing to cause interference, the TV is within 3m of router and has clear sight of it.

I used to get 24mb/s most of the time, nothing has changed. Same laptop, phone and TV. 

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 4 of 7

Hi @Wullier,

Do you have any devices connected to your router 'wired', if so does a speed test on that device also only show 16mbps. With a sync speed of 26 you would normally expect to get speed test results on a wired device of around 22 to 24.

It would be worth switching your router off for over 30 minutes to force it to create a new session when it is switched back on, this can sometimes get the throughput speed back up to something a bit closer to the sync speed.

However if you only have wireless devices to test with then it may actually be that Wi-Fi interference in your home is causing a slight reduction in your speeds.

You could try changing the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

For a decent HD stream on Netflix/Disney+ you should only really need a connection of around 5mbps (although obviously the faster the better)

0 Likes

Wullier
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

The 22mb/sis what your system. Is saying. When I run a speed test I get a maximum of 16mb/s.

My TV constantly buffers and takes an age to start anything, my phone is the same and is so bad I generally use mobile data as it much faster.

I should not be struggling to watch Netflix or Disney+ on fibre 35, even with a phone or laptop on WiFi too. 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

Hi

The estimated speed of your line is 20-22mb, and the router is in sync at 26mb, so the line speed is performing as it should.  If you are seeing speeds of 22mb at the router, then this is the correct speed for your line.

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes