cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Slow download speeds since holiday

briantrumpet1
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 38 of 38

Hi - could someone check my broadband connection speed/stability from the TT end please? Since I got back from a long holiday, it's been quite a way off the subscribed speed, and quite unstable from the laptop end for downloading, having frequent misfires on loading pages.

Thanks.

0 Likes
37 REPLIES 37

Message 1 of 38

Morning,

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 38

You're very welcome @briantrumpet1 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

briantrumpet1
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 3 of 38

Thanks to all, especially expert @KeithFrench for the advice... all remains much zippier, so I'm happy to close this thread! 👍😃

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 38

The signal strength looks much improved. I hope it stays that way.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 38

Morning,

Thanks for keeping us updated and thanks @KeithFrench 🙂

Thanks

briantrumpet1
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 6 of 38

Long cable arrived, so I could bring the router down to the ground floor. With @KeithFrench's tweaks, seems to be going well, thanks all! Will close this thread in a couple of days if all remains stable.

wifi1.jpgwifi2.jpgwifi3.jpgwifi4.jpgwifi5.jpg

Message 7 of 38

Hi briantrumpet1,

I hope the longer cable helps, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 38

Tried that, thanks... maybe I did something wrong with it, but the connection went proper wobbly afterwards.

Anyway, have ordered a longer cable to run from the phone socket to the router, so I can try it in different locations rather than where the phone socket is.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 38

I am not sure I have seen such an app. There is another one I was going to mention from Nirsoft called WiFiInfoView, this provides all sorts of details about your connection for that band (highlighted in green). You can then click on the other band and press F2 or right-click & select Connect Selected Access Point. It will then try & do that for you & removes any chance of Windows or the network adapter getting it wrong. You can download this from:-

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html 

Unzip it & run the exe from there, no need to install.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 38

Thanks Keith. Seems to be already set at '5GHz first'.

I'll have a play with router location and see if that makes any difference, though are there any apps that I could leave running on a wired connection just to check that the broadband connection itself is continually running at full capacity? I seem to remember using one in the past (might have been one I got from TT... can't remember) which in the end helped identify a problem in the phone line near the house. Just that I still seem to get the odd glitch when wired, though that might just be my imagination... would be helpful to rule that out anyway, in the spirit of Sherlock Holmes.

Bottom line is that I can survive with it as it is, so don't waste too many pixels on it! But thanks for all your advice... much appreciated!!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 38

I think this accounts for your speed test results. You are connected to the 2.4Ghz band using 802.11n (Wi-Fi 4) at a link speed between it and the router of 65Mbps. Your card is capable of working in the 5GHz band at the faster 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5) at a link speed of up to 433Mbps.

So why aren't you connecting at that speed?

The initial decision is down to Windows/the network adapter as to which band it connects to. This should be based on the band with the best signal quality (mixture of signal strength & the amount of interference). The signal strength of your 2.4GHz band is a bit higher than the 5GHz one, once connected to the router, if band steering is enabled in there, it should then automatically try & move you over to the 5GHz band after a short while.

I would check the network adapter's properties to see if there is a Preferred Band option. To do this go into Device Manager expand Network adapters, right-click your network adapter & select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab & look in there. If you have such an option set it to 5GHz first.

I don't think we have investigated the physical location of your router, to see if signal strength can be improved a bit.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so as the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 38

Thanks Keith - here's the result:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.521]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\exete>netsh wlan show interface

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name : WiFi
Description : Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter
GUID : e370b761-09b3-46b8-a616-beed9f23d221
Physical address : 28:cd:c4:32:fa:01
Interface type : Primary
State : connected
SSID : TALKTALKBEA907
BSSID : d0:c6:5b:be:a9:18
Network type : Infrastructure
Radio type : 802.11n
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Cipher : CCMP
Connection mode : Auto Connect
Band : 2.4 GHz
Channel : 11
Receive rate (Mbps) : 65
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 65
Signal : 100%
Profile : TALKTALKBEA907

Hosted network status : Not available

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 38

Might be worthwhile going to a command prompt in Windows & getting me the output from this command:-

netsh wlan show interface

Keith

0 Likes

briantrumpet1
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 14 of 38

Hmm, but then... the loaded latency seems to mirror the lumpiness in loading random pages. Ran the wifi analyser at the same time, and that seems all stable, no change from previous, to my eyes.

2.15pm2.15pm

0 Likes

Message 15 of 38

Thanks Keith. I'll leave this thread open for a day or two to check it's all stable, but my general impression is that it's rather less glitchy.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 38

Yeah, I think they look better.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 38

I'll have a look at them this afternoon & get back to you.

Keith

0 Likes

briantrumpet1
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 18 of 38

So far, so good... and here's this evening's crop:wifi1.jpgwifi2.jpgwifi3.jpgwifi4.jpg

0 Likes

Message 19 of 38

It's a Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter - I've done as suggested re power management. Should I run the wifi analyser again?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 38

To work out exactly what is right also I will need to know what Wi-Fi network adapter you have in your PC. What happened at 13:17 in your signal strength/time graph? You might need to look at the Windows Power Management settings:-

Where USB or PCIe-connected WiFi adapters are concerned, power management is best disabled if running in Windows to keep a reliable Wi-Fi connection working at full speed. Once having made the changes outlined below, it is probably best to restart the PC.

To do this in Windows 10 or 11, open Device Manager and expand Network adapters. Then right-click your WiFi card & select Properties. Next, click on the Power Management tab and untick Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. If the adapter is connected via USB, then expand the USB section in Device Manager and the same option can be found in the Power Management tab in most Root Hubs and USB Controllers. Untick it in there as well.

Keith

0 Likes