cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Talktalk and everyone else can only give me 10-14Mbps even though open reach says I can get up to 80

quicksilver384
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

Hello.

I am a bit confused by this but I am moving home and tried to get my internet swapped over, however no one can offer me more than 10-14Mbps even though according to the open reach website the property can support up to 80Mbps as can the whole street even the houses which have the line coming from the same pole and cabinet. The house next door does have an active 80Mbps connection.

I have spoken to BT who initially said they can provide it, now saying no they can't. No one at BT, Talktalk or any of the other companies can seem to understand why this is and apparently even with an engineer visit to install a new line it would make no difference according to them. 

Does anyone have any ideas on why this could be and how I can fix it please as 10-14 although better than nothing I suppose, it is not really much use for me.

Thanks.

John.

John Boy.
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi

If our sales teams nd other ISP's can only guarantee a lower speed, then there is little that we can do.

The only way to fully see what real world speeds you will get, is to sign up to a provider and see what the line can handle when it is live.

There are other providers that do not use the Openreach network, and if these are also available in your area, you can explore these.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

quicksilver384
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 6

You already coppied and pasted that but it does not remotely answer the question

John Boy.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi

each area is at the mercy of Openreach to install the required equipment to supply FTTP, and we can only offer the services that are currently available as can the other providers.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

quicksilver384
First Timer
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Talktalk can only offer me the Fast Broadband package but the other properties can get the fiber 35 and 65 package and this is the issue. Even though open reach says the property can get the fiber packages, every supplier says no I can't.

I know we can't yet get FTTP we can get FTTC.

John Boy.
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi

The speeds are an estimate, and until the line is fully connected, we cannot say what speeds you will actually get as opposed to the predicted speeds.

If full fibre is available at the location, rather than standard fibre, this would give better speeds.

In some areas, there can be aluminium lines used within the Openreach infrastructure, this was a cheaper alternative back in the early 80's, but this is not as good a conductor as copper lines and gives much lower performance for broadband.  Now, I don't know if this is the case, but where we see these issues, there is nothing that we can do until Openreach update the infrastructure in an area, if they believe it is cost effective to do so.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes