email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails disappeared

Sarah Hawkins
First Timer
Message 3 of 3

My husband has had a talktalk email address for years.  The other day he logged on and everything in his in box has disappeared.  He also didn't get any  new mail for a couple of days.  He now gets new mail but all the old stuff appears to have gone.  Is there any way we can get  them back?  Everything that was in folders is still there???  Thanks

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 3

Hi Sarah Hawkins, if you add the affected email address to the Private Notes section of your community profile I'll run a repair on the mailbox.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 2 of 3

Hi Sarah

Has your husband checked TalkTalk webmail?  If mail is missing from the Inbox there it's either because of a mailbox corruption and a repair needed or, most likely, that emails have been downloaded and deleted from the server.

The download and delete is one of two forms. Either your husband has set up an email client or email app on a device and that's been set up as a POP3 account that, by default, downloads all emails to the device and deletes from the server. Or the email password has been discovered and someone unauthorised has downloaded the emails.

The fact that all the old emails have gone but newer emails are present would support the POP3 email app on a device theory and that the particular device hasn't been online in the last day or so when newer emails have come in.

Just in case it's an unauthorised device then the way to protect the account is to change the password. Here's the advice article on managing your email in MyAccount.

Has husband previously set up password recovery for the email address with an alternate email and mobile number? He could try the Reset your Password option. Other than the reset to the account itself, if there are alternates listed, see if he recognises them from the hints.

Or if you're TalkTalk broadband customers you can change the email password in MyAccount > My Services > Webmail - Manage Webmail, if the email is listed in one of the 5 email address slots.

Let me know the thoughts re the possibility of a device downloading the emails.  Also what happens with a password change to protect the email account.  We'll take it from there.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes