Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

About line installation and engineer

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I'm trying to get broadband service set up for my dad, who is an older gent currently isolating for his own safety.

I know there is a phone line in the property as a few years ago we had broadband there.

It seems like I can get everything setup online and a router sent to him, but the site also says an engineer needs to be sent to install a line as 'there isn't one in place'. Is this accurate and necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Marmoreus i see do u remember the number u had and have u tried connecting a phone line to see if it is live yet.

i think there is ways to sort this and check on it might be something in the middle not work right like at the exchange.

Can u give some more info when his go live was but do not POST PERSONAL INFO  as open to the public

when the order was done what did u or he say about the line when ordered one here and did u give a telephone number out.??

Just need some more info to get a clear picture of the issue u have. There is some community stars might be able to offer some help 

Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks @hosay299 let me clarify a little.

We have not placed an order / started a contract yet.

When I put in my dad's address on the main site, select a plan, and go to the order confirmation page it says an engineer needs to be sent out to the address to connect the line.

What I would like to know is whether or not this is a generic message or an actual fact. Because a few years ago there was a broadband connection in the property and nothing has intrinsically changed since.

So if I complete an order and get a router sent to him, can he go live without the intervention of an engineer? What would the engineer be doing? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what is involved.

Thank you!

Highlighted
Philosopher

Hi @Marmoreus  just a idea have you tried doing the same on bt site . Is there a chat service u might get better and quicker answers on it from them  

Talk talk chat not that good for help  so can try but u might find get no where fast 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @Marmoreus

Thanks for your post. 

It depends on the state of the line at the moment, for example if the line is shown as ceased the message will appear for an engineer as it predicts that there i'snt a master socket, or potentially has an old faceplate that may need replacing. 

If the line is stopped it can be restarted from the exchange and the no engineer is required.  More often than not the install says engineer required but on the day the engineer will contact the customer to advise otherwise. 

hope that helps.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thank you @hosay299 , and @OCE_Arne

It helps very much. There is a master socket and I doubt the faceplate is obsolete already, so we'll get him signed up for now.

Many thanks.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Marmoreus u know where to come for help. 

hope u get it all sorted if u need things checking just post in the correct topic area 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hope everyone is doing well.

To update, the go-live date has been set for the 2nd June with engineer. This is a very long time for someone in isolation.

Understandably I have not been able to get through to a human at TalkTalk.

My Dad sent me a picture of his master socket and the plate is a BT openreach NTE5. So in theory he could be connected from the exchange as you mentioned @OCE_Arne ?

It's frustrating because last week we also upgraded to faster fibre in our house the switchover was instantaneous - new router was with us in 24h, no engineer. We also have an old LJU master socket here, so socket incompatibility can't be a reason why an engineer needs to be called out to Dad's place.

I'd happily give Dad our new router, I'm just lost as to why it'd take over 2 months for the line at his property to be reconnected.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Marmoreus,

Unfortunately any new orders placed will have a go live date for June as Openreach are prioritising total loss of service faults at the moment. Apologies that we can't bring the activation date forward.

Thanks