would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre xDSL connection dropping

93 REPLIES 93
Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi,

Please excuse long post, but feel the need to give a little background.  I've been a TT customer for many years now and I upgraded to a new fibre contract from ADSL in February 2018 when fibre was installed locally in my area.  I should get around 40 down and 10 up.  This seemed fine initially though I frequently had speed related problems with using the internet and also experienced drop outs.  Initially I blamed my wifi and tried many options to resolve this before focusing a bit more on the router itself and my actual internet connection.  I noticed then that the router was frequently dropping the internet connection and then re-negotiating very poor up and down speeds - mostly upload speed was the problem as it typically only stabilised on speeds less than 1mbps (I use the router homepage to get this info).  Not great when using multiple devices.

What then ensued was about 7 months of to-ing and fro-ing with TT customer services which was quite simply a horrendous, stressful experience and one that I hope I never have to endure again.  Also had several OR engineer visits before we finally had a fix (or so we thought - more on that in a bit).  In November last year the OR engineer finally could see faults on my line when he rigged up his kit to the line outside my house i.e. the bit before it enters the grey box that feeds the master socket.  The fix was to switch to a different copper pair between the inspection chamber that serves my house and the exchange i.e. he used the 2nd pair that usually gets used if you want a second phone line in your property.  It was a delight to finally have a stable internet connection with daily 10/40 up/down speeds, and after about 20 days of uptime on the WiFi Hub (one of the many replacements), I stopped checking the router xDSL page daily.

Suffice to say it hasn’t lasted 😞

I first noticed problems early Feb though hoped they were just glitches as I couldn’t bear talking to TT again.  Typically the signs are poor browsing speeds, broken streaming on the TV, or my remote Citrix connection to work drops.  I’ve been checking the router xDSL info since and again I notice the internet connection dropping and renegotiated uploads speeds settling on around 1mbps upload.  Download seems a consistent 40.

Today so far has been another day of several drops.  I restarted the router only yesterday and had a good 10/40.  Today I’ve had several Citrix disconnects and now a speed of 1/40 (I'll upload a screen shot if I can figure out how).   I’m sure the xDSL logs on the WiFi hub would show many more bounces but the logs feature is pretty much unusable.

I think it’s fair to say that things feel like that are a bit different from the events of last year.  It’s doesn’t feel as flaky as before and I don’t appear to get anything less than 40 on the download after a restart.  One thing I do notice is that when I do get poor speeds after a drop, I notice the WiFi Hub reports approx 8mbps less on the max download rate i.e. on a good day I get 40 down with a max possible of approx 57 but when the connection is not performing I typically get 40 down with a max possible about 49.  The max upload rate shown in the wifi hub is always the same as the actual download rate.  I not sure the other figures are that reliable as they never tallied with the device the OR engineer used.

NOTE - Nothing has changed, everything internally in my house is exactly the same as when the OR engineer left in November last year.  Master socket is directly connected to the cables coming in from the grey box outside and my router is connected to the master socket.  Internal phone is an extension off this.

Last year I spent so much time on the phone with TT.  It frustrated me immensely how I’d have to repeat myself every single time I called - even when I got a call back I’d still have to do this.  I rarely spoke to the same person and everyone I spoke to had a different set of resolutions to try.  I’ve read other posts on this forum and they all report similar experiences - nice friendly people, full of promises, but utterly useless.

I’m very doubtful this is now just a glitch.  Oddly enough I don’t have high expectations for any internet connection.  I don’t mind my speeds dropping a little as long as I don’t notice, the problem is I am noticing.

Before I loose my mind a call TT, if there is anyone here on this forum that can help I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dan

Community Team

Hi Danoruk,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Thanks

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Michelle Many thanks for the reply.

I rarely use the land line though I have previously noticed a correlation between its use and the DSL connection dropping.  Only last week I used the landline to make a call, to start with the call was fine but then progressed to pops and crackles.  I was using Citrix to connect to work at the time and then got a disconnect.  I checked the router home page and the internet connection had dropped.

Other times when using the landline I do not get any noise.  But when I hang up the internet connection drops.

This doesn't happen all the time though.  Sometimes the line is just fine and the internet connection stays up.

The issues I'm seeing now are very consistent with the problems I had last year.  I thought we had this fixed last November when the copper line was switched to the spare 😞

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Michelle Seems the static on the line was persisting tonight to the point where it was interfering with a call. I could also hear static when wriggling the router cable in the master socket (a 5C with V4 plate). Perhaps I hadn’t put it back properly at the weekend which would be a tad annoying.

In any case, to test further I’ve now removed the faceplate and connected the router and phone via a dlink filter.

The internet connection has reconnected 10 up and 40 down and voice sounds ok.

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Quick update. Checked router and internet dropped just after midnight. Now have 10 up and 8.8 down.  Voice seems ok. 

Community Team

Hi Danoruk,

Thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats and sync speed has dropped since your last post. Is the router still connected at the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Michelle Hi, Yep it’s still connected to test socket via a dlink filter. 

Community Team

Hi Danoruk,

Thank you. Is the noise present again? Have you also recently tested with an alternative router? As soon as we've confirmed this then we'll pass this straight over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi. Thanks for following up. I didn’t notice any noise on landline first thing this morning. When I had the problems last year I was sent many replacement routers to try.  None made any real difference and I sent them back after my line was switched in November. I currently have the Wi-Fi hub (thought to fix any issues with vectoring) but I haven’t now got any other routers to test with.  Happy to test another router but if it’s anything like last year I’m doubtful it will make much difference.  I can also try another cable and filter tonight to rule that out?

Community Team

Hi Danoruk,

Ok, as the line test has detected a potential fault I've passed this over to our Network Team to take a look. If you don't hear back by the end of today then please can you bump your thread and we can re-check this for an update for you.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Danoruk,

I've now received an update to advise that the fault has been passed to BTOR for further investigation.

Thanks

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

Open reach engineer turned up this morning just as I was leaving for work. I thought they would call to arrange an appointment first?

The engineer could see sync speed of 10 up and only 8.8 down. This was consistent with the WiFi Hub. Although strange that download is being so slow now and not the upload. No noise on the line could be heard.

Pair quality test was fine. No CRCs. But high SNR of 26.6. He performed an SNR reset which bought it back down to acceptable range. After which sync speeds were a consistent 40 down and 10 up.  He was unable to answer why SNR was so high. Thought perhaps a previous engineer did it but I explained only last week I was getting 40 down and generally only slow on the up.

So the only thing he did was perform an SNR reset. He didn’t do anything else as his tests suggest nothing wrong with the copper line from master socket to exchange

Do you have any idea why the SNR had changed?

At the moment both phone and router cables are plugged back in to master socket faceplate.

Sync speed on router is still 40 down and 10 up.

I’m doubtful this has fixed the problem tbh. I am working from home tomorrow so will be able to use and test more extensively.

Thanks

Dan

Community Team

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

Apologies, sometimes the line engineer will attend at the property once they have completed their testing on the line. If they are unable to gain access then they would ask us to arrange an engineer visit.

If there were errors on the line then DLM may have changed the profile/SNR.

Please can you let us know how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

Danoruk
Conversation Starter
Ok that makes sense. I’ll monitor for the next few days.

Many thanks for your support. Really appreciate the quick responses.
Community Team
Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Debbie @OCE_Michelle 

I've been monitoring my connection since the OR engineer visit last week and despite experiencing a couple of disconnects the up and down sync speeds have re-established at 40 down and 10 up which is good.

Router disconnects:

Friday 15th @ approx 00:40h - resync'd at 40 down and 10 up

Sunday 17th @ approx 11:45h - resync'd at 40 down and 10 up

Land line use has been minimal though not experienced any noise or internet drops when in use.

Any idea what causes these router disconnects?

Many thanks.

Dan

Community Team

Hi Dan

Thanks for keeping us updated. It appears that DLM made some changes to the line profile on 13/03 and again on 15/03. This maybe when you experienced the re connections.

The connection stats look good and your line is in sync at 40mb.

Thanks

Debbie

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Seems my internet connection dropped again today at about 11:53 am, but this time my upload sync speed is 0.8. Download seems ok at 40.

This is typical of the problem I’ve been having since last year.

Would appreciate if you can check please and advise.

Thanks

Dan

Community Team

Hi Dan

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line tests are still not detecting any issues. Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes to see if the upload sync speed increases?

Thanks

Debbie

Danoruk
Conversation Starter

Hi. I’ll give that a try.  I presume you can see my sync speeds?