Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Grrr Wifi Hub disconnects

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

And surprisingly 5ghz band has reverted back to channel 36 from the 100 I set it to not that anything was connected to it and a load more WiFi security setting saved messages in log

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Against my better judgement got fed up with waiting 2 hours for the internet to return so have re-booted the router despite devices being connected and that good ol' solid white light being on and as if by magic I have service again, not good in fact I am rapidly starting to lose my patience with TalkTalk, the iceberg lookout on the Titanic was more reliable than the fibre broadband I have experienced over the last week or so. I should not be having to turn a TalkTalk supplied router off and on every few days to restore service 

I left my last bb supplier over costs sadly I am starting to think bad decision as I had probably a dozen or so outages in 20 odd years with them and that was usually local network outages impacting whole post codes and not this, how do I put it politely, rubbish stability I am looking into for the next 15 months

Sorry for the rant I know you guys trying to help but as a customer I am not seeing any real improvements in the service I am paying to receive, rebooting a router is not a fix its a temporary workaround as any ITIL qualified person will tell you

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mike,

I'm really sorry to hear this. One of the line tests is now showing a loop fault which can sometimes be caused by internal wiring or equipment connected to the line. Would you like us to send a different make and model of router for testing purposes to see how the connection compares and to rule out any issues with the router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes please

Highlighted

Hi MikeD66

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

New router received on Thursday/Friday finally got fed up with old router dropouts on sunday morning - nearly continuous - 

first thoughts - looks exactly like the first router but under the covers it appears to be a different beast and model

a DG8041W with a totally different gui (which I like as its not dumbed down and actually shows decent info unlike the sagem)

now plugged in and working and loaded up with devices lets see how this one fairs - already showing bb speed back up to 32mps from 27mps so maybe a good sign

Highlighted

Hi MikeD66

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please can you continue to monitor this and let us know how you get on.

Debbie 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well I’ve had the test modem running for over a month now and initially stability was better than it had been. Sadly in the last week stability has degraded somewhat 

it manifests itself most notably in online gaming where I can visibly see the latency in game going from 50 to over 500 to 999+ and repeated disconnects

this is repeated over different online games at various times of the day

ping tests are showing good sub 50ms times when successful however I see numerous request timeouts and lost packets when multiple tests are run in a row 25 pings regularly resulting in 25% packet loses which is not good and I think an issue with the fibre

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've re-run the line test which hasn't detected a fault and I can only see 1 re-connection on the line and the sync speed speed looks consistent. Are you currently connected wired or wireless when you experience the instability and latency?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Wireless on my laptop

Wireless on my ipad

when I see the latency in game I try to immediately alt tab out and use internet browser to see how that is responding and at times it’s slow to load a page

Just done a set of ping tests against www.talktalk.co.uk and www.bbc.co.uk

the first set to tt was ok no loss 16ms average 25 ping run sample

the second set to bbc had 2 packets lost 4% 12ms average 50 ping run sample

the third set to tt had again 2 packets lost and the average up to 20ms 

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Ok thanks for confirming. Do you have any devices connected wired? Have you also tried separating the SSID's?

Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

No devices wired due to location of router//modem , not tried separating the ssids on this router yet or the channels last time I tried that on the other router talktalks intelligent learning software would keep changing it back overnight ^^

laptop is connected to the 2.4 band 

will try separating the ssid’s to see if they are interfering with each other but not too hopeful as the connection had been fairly stable for the last month aside from the last week with the ssids the same

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Thanks for confirming. As the line test is clear and the connection stats look ok from here then it would be worth trying this if it's not possible to connect wired, as this can sometimes improve the wireless connection. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ok so I’ve change the ssid’s to separate the two band names

connected to band 1 (2.4) ran ping test wireless saw timeouts and lost packets 

connected to band 2 (5) ran ping test wireless saw timeouts and lost packets

wired laptop via Ethernet cable ran ping test, marginal improvement in average response times by 2ms (so not a lot ) but still saw timeouts and lost packets

guess that rules out WiFi issues and we are back to router / line issues

Highlighted

Hi MikeD66,

Thanks for the information. Could you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and check to see if there's any improvement 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Will try that when I return home early next week

router has been rebooted 3 times since receipt last time was 3 days ago but not left off for 30 mins

last reboot lowered the memory and cpu usages from around 20% to around 10%

Highlighted

Hi MikeD66

Please let us know how the connection compares after the 30 minute power down of the router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello there

got home this afternoon, powered down the router for 45 mins as suggested then powered back up

the good news was the first set of ping tests to talk talk was 100%

the not so good news the next 3 sets of ping tests to bbc, Google, talk talk all had request timeouts and lost packets (not as bad as before only 4% packet loss but still a loss)

the slightly better news is an hour online gaming has seen no disconnects and only a couple of moments of high latency

then the bad news I now on top of a shoddy internet connection have a talk talk landline phone with no dial tone and when rung nothing coming through. I won’t bother to describe my experience of using the online chat feature ....

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Solution

Typed too soon didn’t i

packet loss now up to 20% and a disconnect from the online application I was on guess switching the router off for 30 mins didn’t resolve too much 😞 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

And a quick logon to the router is showing my fibre speeds to more than halved 38 to 16 download, 7.5 to 2.48 upload