cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is it better to log a problem here rather than a chat session?

16 REPLIES 16
Elgin19
Team Player

Two weeks ago logged a problem via Chat sessions that my Faster Fibre ( 43Mb )
has been running at 16Mb for several weeks now.
Why do the staff on the chat sessions not understand the problem?
Despite repeatedly asking them to request BT Openreach to check line, having
told them I checked via Master socket and still 16Mb. First day they said faulty router -
we'll send out another. I told them I checked with a second router still same issue.
Second day despite quoting REP number, have to repeat everything again.
Advised I had checked/changed router/cables/microfilters.
Having spent a total of nearly 3 hours over 4 chat sessions over two days
I eventually agreed to a Brightsparks - now Qubegb ? - engineer to look at
the problem, that requires a BT Openreach engineer to investigate.
Today, advised no engineer visit as off sick. Rebooked for 8/1

Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @Elgin19,

The live chat and phone support staff will tend to take you through a set of very scripted checks. If the problem you have fits in with one of those scripts then they can often help resolve issues successfully. However if you have a problem that doesn't fit in with the script, or if you want to discuss the problem in more depth then those support channels can be hard work.

The staff here on the community will be able to discuss the issue with you in more detail and they will read what you have posted and respond accordingly. I always try to use this community for support issues, as I find the support here much better than the other channels (all discussions here will be by replying to your thread in this community, they won't phone you). You may get faster support using live chat or phone, as the staff here work through new topics in order, so you may well have to wait a working day or two before the staff here can respond to your post

If you did want help from the staff here then they need to be able to identify your account, for one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

OCE_Karl
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Elgin19

Can you please add your home phone number or Account number to your Community Profile. 

We will not attempt to call you, this is so we can locate your account and run tests on your line if you are reporting a fault.

We will then reply via this thread in our Community with any further advice or next steps.

If unsure of your phone number, and if your line is working simply dial 17070 from your land line phone and this will confirm the number for you.  Alternatively these details can be found within My Account online or may be on the heading of any paperwork you have received.

Please post back on this thread when this has been done.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Elgin19
Team Player

Thanks Karl,

Brightsparks Engineer - appears to now be Qubegb - cancelled for last week, now due to come on 8th January. Just to add - have also tested by router off for 1 hour, and connected via Master socket. Still 15 - 16Mb on my Faster Fibre link. All tests done via Windows 10 PC via Ethernet. I am 99.9% sure there is no problem with my router, either my TP-Link or original TT router, cables or microfilters, as I am a retired I.T. Support manager for networks and telecoms and know how to check these things, although of course could never deal with BT Openreach side of things.

I will await Qubegb engineer to pass the fault to Openreach.

PS - as others have said the Service page just loops around - you need to check this.

Email today from Tristia states: With our 24/7 online Service Centre you can run a live connection check and book an engineer if you need one without having to call us.

Well, we could if that eventually works !!

OCE_Chris

Hi Elgin19,

Thanks for the information, please let us know how the engineer visit goes.

Thanks

Chris

Elgin19
Team Player

Engineer from qubeGB arrived and spent 1 hour testing equipment and line, and updated my master socket. Confirmed it is a fault for BT Openreach to investigate. Engineer updating TT to advise as such.

OCE_Chris

Hi Elgin19,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately we can't book Openreach appointments to the home for speed issues due to Covid restrictions but once we are able to again, we'll arrange this for you

Chris

Elgin19
Team Player

Bearing in mind that the Qubegb engineer confirmed that it is BT Openreach issue to look at, why would Talk Talk send me the following email this afternoon.

It beggars belief. The engineer has checked within the house.. Time to look for another supplier soon I think.

Hello ,
We're just checking in after your recent engineer visit and think you may still be experiencing problems with your service. If that's the case we'd like you to check your in home set up. To understand how to do this please visit (https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/) for a step by step guide.
Your TalkTalk team
OCE_Michelle

Hi Elgin19,

I'm sorry for the delay. At the moment we're only arranging Openreach home visits for no sync/no dial tone faults (Total Loss of Service) Once the restrictions have been lifted then we can arrange a Openreach visit to the property to investigate the drop in speed for you.

Thanks

Elgin19
Team Player

Hi, since BT OR cannot be asked to look at a line fault currently, do you know when it is likely that this will be resolved. My contract finishes at the end of February, so need to renew soon to avoid defaulting to standard charges, to what is now Fibre 65. Do I go ahead with the renewal soon despite currently only getting 16Mb speed?

How will you contact me to advise when BT will be looking at the line speed issue?

When will my £25 payment for missed engineer appointment be made as not on the current bill from yesterday?

Thanks

OCE_Debbie

Hi Elgin19

We have no timescales available at the moment as this is dependent on government guidance and restrictions. Apologies for this.

If you contact our Loyalty Team then they can discuss the options available for the renewal. 

This help page should also provide further information on the missed appointment About your auto compensation credit

Thanks

Debbie

Elgin19
Team Player

Since both TalkTalk and BT Openreach appear to have amended their Coronavirus restrictions, can this fault now be passed to BT OR to check at the local cabinet for the speed restriction setting, as I am still on a constant 16-17 Mb ADSL type speed connection.

Also, due to contract expiry soon, have today renewed contract with Loyalty team for Fibre 65, which I am reluctantly paying for while still only on low speed since late last year.

Thirdly, Loyalty passed me to Technical team to get BT involved, however technical wanted to go through all the tests and the usual Q&A which we have been through four times previously since fault logged. QubeGB engineer have already confirmed all home wiring and devices etc are OK, and that there is no line fault or line noise when he visited in December.

I note from some other Community posts that calls are being passed to BT, and surely the first thing to check would be any wrong setting of the speed restriction in the local FTTC cabinet.

OCE_Chris

Hi Elgin19,

If you'd like us to arrange the engineer can you please confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Chris

Elgin19
Team Player

Thanks OCE_Chris

Can you also see my post under the subject FTTC Speed restriction at local cabinet as this has some additional updated information, and add a comment to that.

I am aware of potential BT Engineers charges, as long as the fault is not the same as they repaired around 2 years ago at a cost to me of around £60

My preferred time slot is 1pm to 6 pm

Thanks

Elgin19
Team Player

FAO OCE_Chris

Have setup telephone password as requested.

Elgin19
Team Player

Summary so far........

Have been on Faster Fibre for 16months as at Dec 20
Enjoyed speed as follows under contract:

Your estimated broadband speeds
Download Speeds
Maximum speed
72.5 Mb

Typical speed range
47.0 Mb to 70.7 Mb

Minimum guaranteed speed
40.5 Mb

Upload Speeds
Maximum speed
18.9 Mb
Typical speed range
11.7 Mb to 18.9 Mb
Minimum speed
9.4 Mb

Aware since November that speed dropped so reported fault via Chat 18 Dec 20 - REP8699806
Speed dropped to 18 Mb - typical 16 - 17 Mb
Despite 4 Chat sessions lasting over 3 hours they insisted it was my house that had a problem. So, a TT engineer came, tested house setup, tested line for faults - all OK
Engineer said would advise TT that BT OR need to investigate at local cabinet as it appeared that I was back to capped speed of ADSL.

That is what makes me think that I've reverted to ADSL speed at the local cabinet:

You can also see that when I upgraded to Faster Fibre 18 months ago I was at a much higher speed as indicated by the Max Rate, and the Current Rate capped at 18Mb.

Upstream Downstream

Current Rate(kbps) 9183 18000
Max Rate(kbps) 9176 56019
SNR Margin(dB) 5.8 24.8
Line Attenuation(dB) 24.6 13.9
Errors(pkts) 2 2

-----------------------------------------

This is the current information from BT OR for my landline:-

You are connected to cabinet 8. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 545 meters.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s

VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 54-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 12.8-20Mb/s.

As my contact expired in February I contacted Loyalty - as advised by OCE - and renewed from Faster Fibre to Fibre 65. The agent insisted that the expected speed would have to listed as 13 Mb - 17 Mb, despite me arguing that this was because of the fault on the line speed that I had already advised him of.
So my Service Status page now shows expected speed of 13 - 17 Mb which is plainly wrong.

As of 23/2 I am still awaiting my "Go Live" date for Fibre 65 via email or post.

OCE_Chris sent me a PM on 15/2 so he could discuss details - not heard anthing yet
OCE_Debbie sent me a PM on 22/2 so she could discuss details - not heard anything yet.

This is now over 2 months and still awaiting the simple task of passing to BT OR.

Elgin19
Team Player

Suddenly, without any advice, this morning my speed has gone back to around 35 - 40Mb, still lower than my Faster Fibre was, and not to the speed that I should have with Fibre 65.

My Service Status needs to be updated so that the estimated speed I what I should be getting on Fibre 65, not what the Loyalty Agent insisted on putting it as due to the fault on the line at the time he did the contract. I appreciate that the Measured Speed is from the previous night before the change of speed this morning.

Speed to your Router

Est. speed: 13 Mb - 17 Mb

Measured speed: 18 Mb

See previous post as to around what I should be getting based on my closeness to the local cabinet.

I will await to see if my speed improves in the next 7 days.