Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Plume and other Mesh systems?

43 REPLIES 43
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi there,

I recently signed up to the TalkTalk Faster Fibre with Speed Boost. I have been impressed with the WiFi Hub in terms of speed and connections in most of my house, however my house has thick walls and the WiFi drops in some rooms.

I am looking at ways to improve the WiFi in my house. I have had little success with WiFi extenders over Powerline adaptors in the past. I am interested in exploring mesh systems such as Orbi but I noticed that TalkTalk have developed a partnership with Plume and wondered when this would be available?

Thanks in advance!

“The journey home, is never too far...”
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @jmclevine 

Available now direct from Plume UK.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi @Gondola, thanks for the reply.

I read that you can get it for £9 per month with TalkTalk? How does it play with the TalkTalk Wifi Hub? Do I not need the TalkTalk version? You have to put other mesh systems like Orbi and Velop into access point/bridge mode mode to make it work with the hub as it does not have a “modem only” mode and this means quite a few features are disabled.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @jmclevine 

The only person I know that's had experience of all the Mesh system you mention is Martin from TalkTalk and his technical review on Mesh Wi-Fi is here.

Personally, I'm getting good whole home coverage from the Wi-Fi extender in association with the Wi-Fi Hub.  The Wi-Fi extender is on an August promotion price of £25 plus delivery. 

The performance of any powerline adaptor (PLA) connection does depend on a good connection via the mains power wiring in the house connecting the two (or more) adaptors together.  I know in my home because of filtering at the distribution board I cannot successfully use PLA's on different circuits but on the same ring main circuit it's all good. Others find a satisfactory connection can be obtained via different circuits. That bit is try and see.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks @Gondola.

My other concern with the WiFi extender is that it is going to be a slower speed than if it was connected to the router. This means that if more devices decided to connect to the wifi extender instead of the WiFi Hub because it was closer, then I would generally get a slower speed. With mesh systems there isn't a reduction in speed depending on which mesh node you connect to. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi jmclevine 

The Wi-Fi Extender Kit supports 2.4GHz (802.11a/b/g/n) & 5GHz (802.11 b/g/n/ac), Wi-Fi 300 + 867Mbps and Powerline AV2 standard (up to 1Gbps), 1x Gigabit Ethernet ports to connect to a Wi-Fi Hub Gigabit Ethernet port.

The Wi-Fi Extender Kit hardware support is comparable to the 867Mbps throughput of most mesh Wi-Fi nodes using separate 867Mbps backhaul to the Wi-Fi Hub.  As the Wi-Fi Extender Kit backhaul is Gigabit capable the limiting factor, if any, is not the hardware it's the install location and standard caveats about Wi-Fi interference that apply to both products.

In a low interference environment you'd be pushed to say one product is better than the other.

The Plume product's USP is that it monitors and adapts to the environment and that's what the annual fee is all about.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks for the reply @Gondola!

The area in my house where wifi is weakest is an extension - incidentally this is where I have used powerline adaptors/extenders in the past and had a 1mb download on a Fibre line.

I contacted the TalkTalk twitter team and they seemed to have no idea what was happening with the Plume trial. I am wondering if this has now been abandoned.

I managed to get an Orbi system which I have been playing with and after a lot of experimentation and research on these forums, I have managed to get it working flawlessly and now have brilliant coverage all over the house.

One of the issues I have now got is that because of the amount of restarts of the system I have had to do when setting this up, my connection speed has now dropped. Will this gradually increase over the next couple of days or will the line need resetting to start a new line stabilisation process?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jmclevine,

Just to advise this wasn't a plume trial, it was an early invite to buy them directly from Plume.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi jmclevine 

Great to see you have the desired whole home Wi-Fi with the Orbi mesh. One of Martin's 'TalkTalk Recommended' tested products.

A home extension may not be a good place for using PLA's because the Powerline link via the power distribution board Residual Current Devices can be degraded. 

Openreach part fibre connections have 15 minute reporting sessions so the pragmatic advice is to try and avoid multiple router reboots in any one reporting session usually allowing a 30 minute gap between disconnect and reconnect. The Openreach Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is likely to interpret the multiple 'quick' reboots as line instability and will apply correction that will slow the speed. Summary reports showing that the line is stable will reduce the correction and increase the speed. So, yes, under normal operating conditions you should experience a return to 'normal' speed within a few days. Unless your line is one where seamless rate adaption is applied, making changes 'on the fly', any DLM profile changes are made overnight and the router will report an overnight disconnect. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks @OCE_Michelle  - this was just a bit confusing as everything I read online said it could be added for £9 per month to your TalkTalk package. However, I have now gone with the Orbi now!

@Gondola Do I need to ask for the stabalisation period to be reactivated as there has been no disconnect over night and the speed is the same as it was yesterday? When I contacted TalkTalk chat support a couple of weeks ago, they advised that the line had been placed in stablisation mode.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi jmclevine 

'Stabilisation mode' is the generic term for DLM to gather information about the stability of a broadband part fibre line.

The initial information gathering phase is 48 hours during which default 'corrections' are applied.  But when DLM has applied corrections in the event of a perceived issue there is a longer period of information gathering before removing corrections overnight, on non SRA lines, after confirming the line is inherently stable. 

Patience is your friend. You may need to wait 7 - 10 days to see DLM remove corrections and restore speed as a result.

The TalkTalk monitoring system will keep an watch on performance.  If monitoring determines that the line requires a reset because its speed performance is consistently lower than the expected range the TalkTalk system will automatically schedule a reset with the Openreach system.  Resets on request are not part of TalkTalk's normal operating processes with Openreach.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks @Gondola and @OCE_Michelle.

The line speed has gradually increased over the past two weeks - although I do think it could be a little faster as it was 78Mbps with Sky.

Currently I'm getting:

TalkTalk.PNG

I'm slightly confused as to why the Actual Rate is higher than the Maximum Rate?

Thanks for all of your help so far.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @jmclevine 

Your line from the street cabinet is obviously very good. Based on the line attenuation figure of 19.6dB and 3dB S/N ratio my estimate of downstream speed is only 62Mbps and a line length to the street cabinet of 700m.  Maybe the line attenuation figure is wrongly calculated?

Assuming the line attenuation hasn't changed between communications providers, the differences in downstream 'speed' between routers can only be due to methods of calculating the speed.  I'd hazard a guess that it's a calculation anomaly that's presenting a higher figure for actual compared to maximum on the current Wi-fi Hub.

The maximum logically has to be higher than the actual to account for transmission overheads.

I'd say the downstream speed is already optimised. But it would be interesting to see what attenuation figure another router was reporting.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks for the reply @Gondola.

I do live close to the cabinet, which in turn is very close to the telephone exchange so I am fortunate in that respect.

During the first couple of weeks of the connection I noticed that the actual was higher than the actual and then overnight both would increase during the line stablisation period. The actual has always been higher than the maximum ever since the line was connected.

A couple of days ago the line speed jumped from 60.3Mbps to 68.2Mbps overnight (there was a disconnect either by DLM or another factor). The connection has been active for over 4 days now and I am wondering if a router restart will increase the speed. However, I am hesitant to do this as it might be viewed by DLM as an unstable line!

Highlighted
Community Star

...what's your estimate of the line length between the cabinet and your router?

This site may help: Magenta Codelook

Put in your telephone number and post code > select look up post code

Should give you a distance from the cabinet to the centre of the post-code area and indicate which cabinet is in use.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi @Gondola,

When I run my details through the website the only distance it gives me is 93m but I think that is the distance from the exchange.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

...yes it does say it's from the ADSL exchange. Have you identified on the google map where the cabinet is that serves your home to give you an idea of the distance to the cabinet from your home?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@Gondola I would estimate it at about 200m and the cabinet is then about 100m from the exchange. Incidentally the exchange is actually closer to me than the cabinet! 

Highlighted
Community Star

...that would tie in with the line performance being good and the S/N operating at 3dB.

But the line attenuation figure doesn't compute!  You'd expect to see lower than 6dB line attenuation and a maximum access line speed in excess of the capped 80Mbps DSLAM speed and an actual downstream speed of around what you were getting before. i.e. 78Mbps.

OK it will drop the connection but have you tested the Wi-Fi Hub connected to a microfilter and connected directly to the Test Socket in the BT Master Socket? - assuming that does have an under the cover Test Socket.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Before I do this, could it be to do with anything else I have connected to the line for example the telephone or a surge protector?

Thanks