cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Signal Coverage

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 16.04.06.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-04 at 16.04.32.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-04 at 16.04.57.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-04 at 16.05.44.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-04 at 16.05.25.png

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

I will try and have a look mid morning tomorrow.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

Thanks for those sceenshots, I am currently dealing with three customers with extender issues, so I hope I do not get confused between them!

Please can you try one more thing & if this doesn't work I'll get TalkTalk to replace the extenders for you.

If you log into the router, please can you change the channels used as follows:-

2.4GHz - channel 11

5GHz - channel 52

Once having done that there are a couple of caveats with channel 52:-

1. The router will not broadcast any signal out for at least one minute, because it has to do some special checks to ensure that there is no other type of service using this channel. WiFi shares most of the channels from 52 & above & if detected, you will be moved off this channel.
  2. Some of your devices may not work on this channel at all, even though they are allowed to.

Once all done, please can you get me one last set of screenshots?

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Keith, channels changed . Here are screen shots taken separately as before  Ann Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 14.15.13.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-05 at 14.16.27.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-05 at 14.16.35.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-05 at 14.16.44.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-05 at 14.16.59.png

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and try a replacement WiFi Extender kit for you.

Due to the current Coronavirus situation, the OCEs are very busy and there will be more of a delay to get a TalkTalk response. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk have responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ann

Apologies for the delay.

I have ordered a replacement Wifi extender, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Thanks for your help @KeithFrench

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Star

No worries @OCE_Debbie  glad to help. If @Ann Burley has any problems with the extender or coverage, I will be only too pleased to help further.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks, I had to unplug the existing one last week as nothing was working and 5 minutes before I am supposed to be teaching I really cant handle the added aggravation.  I am very grateful for all your help and really hope this one is different and helps increase the reliability of the WIFI all over the house. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ann

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Keith, I have plugged the new extender in and it doesnt seem to be any different to the first one - On Netspot the router signal is 2.4GHz -41 5GHz -48 the D Link extender  2.4GHZ -51 the 5GHz -61 I have changed the channels on the new extender to 1 and 36 to match the router .  I tried to make all the changes in your set up guide but I struggled with the Network settings at the bottom of page 8 . Where it said change to Static IP I wasnt sure about what to put in all the boxes under IPv4 address I copied your examples and it said the Primary and secondary DNS server couldn't be same.   I have the new extender half way down the house rather than at the far end, Should I attempt to connect the original extender to the new one to see if it will extend to the far end or is the signal at the halfway point still not strong enough??  

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Debbie, I have received the new extender and it doesn't seem to be any different to the one I already bought - I am talking to Keith about whether I can use them both to see if that will help.  In the meantime, are you also able to help with the Talk Talk TV problem I have - the Talk Talk box is not working - I think one of those D Link extenders has stopped working - it has no lights on and buzzes when I switch it on and try to repair the two ??? 

Highlighted
Community Star

Just leave the network settings at default, most of the guide shows what can be done, rather than what has to be done. Please can you get me another set of screenshots, so as I can see what's going on?

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Here are screen shots of the current situ with the new extender halfway down the house so covering from the router to the centre of the house - not at the far end which is where I really want it.  I hope you can read them all . Ann 

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 22.22.20.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-15 at 22.22.26.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-15 at 22.22.33.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-15 at 22.22.09.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-15 at 22.21.39.png

Highlighted
Community Star

Ah, no, never have the router & extender on the same channel, particularly in the 2.4GHz band. Try moving the extender to channel 11. The 5Ghz is different in the way it handles interference & because you are nowhere near any other signals, you should be OK.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ok I have moved the extender to 11 . here are new screen shots . Every now and again next door appears in Netspot also on channel 1 - I don't know if that affects anything? Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 09.09.02.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-16 at 09.09.11.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-16 at 09.09.16.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-16 at 09.08.56.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-16 at 09.08.31.png

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

Maybe one more tweak, change the router's 5GHz band to channel 52. That should then be as good as perfect. If not, it might be a case of looking at router/extender placement (I can't remember off hand if we tried this), or even at your Mac. One thought on that basis does the Mac's wireless stats (I know nothing about MacOS) show the BSSID (the MAC address of the router/extender band that it is connected to? A copy of any such stats might be useful.

Keith

Highlighted
Enlightened One

' on that basis does the Mac's wireless stats (I know nothing about MacOS) show the BSSID (the MAC address of the router/extender band that it is connected to? A copy of any such stats might be useful.'

Just in case you might be wondering where to look for that information  @Ann Burley .............

> Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network >

~R.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

So I have moved router to 52, extender still on 36 - a few more screen shots attached which show the network settings - hopefully this is what you want ?  Sorry I cant make the Mac shots any bigger .

As far as placement in the house is concerned.  I live in a very long house converted from old farm buildings with no upstairs.  The router is connected to the main phone socket as suggested when TalkTalk first installed.  I really want to get signal at the far end of the house.  At present I have the extender in the centre of the house and these are the readings shown on netspot.  I still have a spare network connector and wifi extender which I am hoping could possibly get the wifi further away from the router, but I am not sure how to organise that?? 

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 11.58.20.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-16 at 11.58.28.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-16 at 11.58.58.png

Highlighted
Community Star

Alas I was hoping to see from that, if your Mac is connected to the router or extender and to which band. You can tell to some degree on the extender by going to:-

Status > Wireless

Or look at the main device listing in the router, although if connected to the extender, how it then appears in the router, is not that reliable. With your second set, can you connect the network connector to another LAN port on the router (best for bandwidth that way) and put the other extender at the far end of the place, but I would disable the 2.4G wireless, to save making interference worse.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Here is a screen shot from the extender page you mentioned . 

I am running out of sockets that will reach to the router without connecting anything to an extension lead, but I will try .  Do you mean disable the 2.4G wireless on the second extender? 

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 15.26.56.png