cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

which third party modems do you use community ?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
loady
Conversation Starter

Im going to get a BT open reach modem (i was offered one, they may be along after i post this). Do i need a specific model ?

Are there any other models of modems that work and can be unlocked, do some work better than others, for example, i read that the netgear DM 200 is a more current modem and would get slightly faster speeds.

Im not adverse to reprogramming them and i am a seasoned SMD and BGA IC reworker if any need this kind of work.

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

Many options have been discussed many times on these pages before, there are many opinions and many choices. Try the search function, or something called Google. 

Highlighted
satdja
Team Player

This shows the advantage of having an FAQ where we can review what router works with TalkTalk and how to set them up. If there is one, could you link to it please? If not, could this be done?

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

There is a help article about third-party device settings, yes:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

Any router/modem which advertises itself as compliant with Openreach systems should work. The ease or difficulty of setting it up with a TalkTalk connection is likely to be down to how good/poor the connection wizards/GUI on the device are. 

Highlighted
loady
Conversation Starter
that just just tells you the settings you need to enter on a modem you are attempting to connect, back to my question, i am trying to find other models that are NOT BT modems, they seem to be quite expensive as people know they are 'sought after', so what are/have others here used, i agree with satdja, there should be a thread of modems listed that are confirmed to work with TT
Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

Who would provide such a list? I have already told you to look for compatibility assurances.  The one you mentioned earlier i.e. the Netgear will work according to their website. Which is where I would expect to find such information.

Highlighted
loady
Conversation Starter
i have gotten hold of an ECI Modem B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev B , seems it can be unlocked but there is a lot of outdated info, anyone using one of these or know the procedure to unlock it