cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Broadband Speed

Garyliv
Participant
Private Message
Message 22 of 22

Hello. I have very recently renewed my contract with TalkTalk but have been concerned about reduced broadband speed. I have stayed with Fibre 65 but noticed speed regularly dropping and cutting out more often. I'm getting speeds in the mid 20s and never above 40Mbps. I was put through to technical support today who performed a line test and said there was no issues with the line because my guaranteed speed was 23Mbps. I was very surprised at this. I was asked if I wanted an engineer to visit but made aware this could cost £75. I obviously don't want to end up paying this if the reduced speed is considered acceptable, so it is on hold. After the call I have checked my account details from January 2022 stating my guaranteed minimum download speed is 31.2Mbps (estimated download speed between 35.0Mbps and 52.6Mbps). I have had no notification since that this has reduced. I don't expect to get 65Mbps but also don't want to be paying for Fibre 65 with such a low guaranteed speed.

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 2 of 22

The complaints manager who called assured me l will be get the agreed contract but this can't be finalised until they hear from the back office team, which will take 7 days. Apparently the other provider had still not fully cancelled the switch to them. I have contacted them again today as advised and they have again said they definitely have cancelled and the problem is at TalkTalk's end. I'm not sure what the problem is but hopefully it will be resolved soon.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Hi

An engineer called and has repaired a fault so the speed is now. 51.5Mbps. However everything is not okay. I called again yesterday to ask why I have still not received confirmation of my new contract and that my service was due to end. I was told cancellation with a new service provider was not completed, despite being assured previously this had been done. I would not have stayed with TalkTalk had I known the monthly cost I am expected to be charged. Apparently I will be compeslnsated for any additional cost and have a complaints manager calling me tomorrow.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 22

Hello,

We've received an update to advise that the fault has been resolved. Is everything now ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

@Garyliv, post afresh in the billing section about the new contract, or use Chat /phone again to check before you run into out of contract tariffs.

The accounts department has not been processing renewals / cancellations reliably in recent months. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 7 of 22

Hi

I did respond to your private message yesterday but haven't heard back from anyone yet.  Will I be notified about this on here or by email/ phone call? Just to clarify I'm still connected to the test socket. The speed today had been 44Mbps but has dropped out a few times while I've been in online meetings (I'm an NHS worker, often working from home).  I have also still not received an email from TalkTalk confirming my new contract discussed on the phone 10 days ago,  just another letter saying it is due to expire on 29/08/2023.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

Hi

I've sent you a PM for some info.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

Yes I'd like to go ahead with this

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. If all testing has been completed with alternative equipment at the test socket then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. If you would like to go ahead with this then please let us know and we can confirm some details with you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Hi

The voice service seems to be ok. Its a new unused router and I replaced all the cables, microfilter and also plug. The only time I have deliberately disconnected or unplugged over the last few days was to replace it yesterday.  I have noticed the connection dropping a few times in the evening.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

Morning,

Thank you. I've re-run the line test now which is still detecting a potential fault towards the property. Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? When you tested with the replacement router, did you also change the cables and microfilter? Is your connection also unstable or have you been rebooting/switching off the router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

Hi

It is still connected to the test socket. I do have another router which I have now connected and it is still showing 35Mbps.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've re-run the line test now which has detected a potential fault towards the property. Can I just confirm, is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment? Do you also have an alternative router that you can test with please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Staff will follow up after the weekend, @Garyliv.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

Hi

Its now been over 48 hours and the most I'm getting is a pretty constant 35Mbps.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Hi Garyliv,

OK thanks. Current sync speed is 33.5Mbps, hopefully we'll see a speed increase over the next couple of days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

Thank for your reply. I haven't been sent the new contract yet, I've only renewed over the last few days. The speed test from My connection doesn't show any  guaranteed speed but it does say there is a potential problem.  I always log in to the router to check speed instead of over wireless. 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It does have a test socket and I've now connected to that. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 22

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. Does your main socket have a test socket please? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see how the speeds compare please?

Thanks

0 Likes