FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Fibre Broadband

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 52 of 52

Hi,

I'm paying for faster fibre broadband. which states up to 38 Mbps. I'm getting no where near  this.

WiFi test    shows    (25 ms) Download 1.3 Mbps.    Upload 0.7 Mbps.

Hard wired shows    (24 ms) Download 1.2 Mbps.    Upload 0.7 Mbps.

I have switched off everything that connects to the internet except my laptop to carry out the tests.

I switch off the router every night when I go to bed and back on in the morning so it resets every day. ( it takes anywhere up to 1 hr sometimes longer to connect to the internet )

I don't expect to get the full 38 Mbps but the speed I am getting is disgraceful.

Is there an point in me paying for this service ? would I be better off changing to the cheaper broadband package that offers 11 Mbps ?

0 Likes
51 REPLIES 51

Message 41 of 52
Every night
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 42 of 52

Hi billc1

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see a high number of re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed.

For fibre connections we advise leaving the router switched on. How often do you switch the router on and off?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 43 of 52

No worries. The important thing is to get to the bottom of the issue and sort it out.

zebie
Conversation Starter
Message 44 of 52

Ya my bad I edited it out as don't want to give misinformation

Message 45 of 52

They usually will, but that is not the same as doing it on request.  🙂

zebie
Conversation Starter
Message 46 of 52

Oops thought you could ask for a reset (I'll edit that bit out as don't  want to spread misinformation) but that openreach would have to do it after any line problems had been sorted, as a openreach engineer reset mine today 

0 Likes

Message 47 of 52

@zebie Good advice about not turning the router off, but not about a profile/DLM reset I'm afraid, it's not as simple as that.

@billc1 Are you aware of any issues on the voice side at all? Subject to that wait and see what advice the OCE have to offer.

zebie
Conversation Starter
Message 48 of 52
I found this site that talks about DLM when I was trying to research it last year https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm#dlm_stability_level
It talks about what it is
0 Likes

zebie
Conversation Starter
Message 49 of 52

EDITED: I doubt it would slow your line to the speeds above although maybe it would,  I don't know. I just though you should know what will happen if you restart your router/get lots of disconnections all the time. Someone more knowledgeable than me could help you with your speed issues as they are quite low, although if you can I would log into your router and go by the sync speeds 

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 50 of 52

Hi,

Thanks for the comment. I'm not too happy leaving electrical things switched on over night but will try it if it is going to help. Can the DLM be reset ? would this help my speeds ?

0 Likes

zebie
Conversation Starter
Message 51 of 52

You should not turn off your router each night as DLM will slow your fibre down if you do that, if DLM sees lots of disconnections it will slow the line to try and stabilise it