cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 65 signal issues

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 85 of 85

I've been on Fibre 65 for a couple of years now and, initially, it seemed reasonably stable. Then, I was given a Ring doorbell at the beginning of last year. This has worked as expected except that one or more of the doorbell, the battery cam or the chimes has tended to stop working from time to time and had to be reconnected to WiFi. It's been annoying, but not a massive problem because these devices seem to provide quite good instructions on how to recover from connectivity problems. 

My Epson ET-2850 printer, purchased around mid ’21, has been a different kettle of fish. It has dropped its connection too often for comfort, and required various efforts on my part to become reconnected, eg by powering it, my router, and/or just my WiFi connection off and then back on etc. 

Very recently, however, these issues have become more difficult to resolve in that the printer became unavailable for several consecutive days earlier this week, and I could not recover it using any of my old strategies. Two days ago, I took it to the print shop that originally sold it to me, and they kindly configured it for their shop network, where it appeared to work with no problems. When I took it home, I attempted to reset it for my home network, but this appeared to fail with error (E-9), the subsequent printer generated report being as shown below. 

Later that evening, I noticed that the device was again showing its connected-to-WiFi symbol and found that I could print files again. 

The printer is still working this morning, well over 24 hours later, though it did go offline late last night for a while. While I'm happy for now, I'm not over confident that I won't have similar problems again before too long. 

Apart from my printer and doorbell problems, the other main issue with my WiFi has been that, all too often, I have attempted a Google search but have seen a black ‘no internet connection’ display for a few seconds before the requested information has then appeared. Also, sometimes, I have seen an equally black ‘download pending’ screen that has not delivered the goods, although a repeate attempt sometimes has done. 

These issues have often lead me to suspect my WiFi signal strength. I can't access the same information on my Samsung A9 tablet, but my Samsung A71 phone suggests it's of the order of 110 dBm 30 asu, not that I have any real understanding of what these figures imply. 

The Ring doorbell and accessories have device health displays in the Ring app, all of which seem to suggest signal strengths varying from around 45 and 70 ssi. If I look online, sometimes I see that higher ssi values indicate weaker signals, sometimes I see its the lower ones. As I say, I suspect I'm suffering from a poor signal, even though at least half my devices, including my printer just now, are only a few metres away from my router. 

I apologise for the length of this post, but can anyone offer any thoughts here, please? 

Check Network Connection

Check Result                                                      Unknown

Error code                                                           (E-9)

Confirm the connection and network setup of the PC or other device.

Connection using the EpsonNet Setup  is available.

Contact your network administrator for assistance.

If your problems persist,

see your documentation for help and networking tips.

Checked Items

Wireless Network Name (SSID)                          Pass

Communication Mode Check                              Pass

Security Mode Check                                          Pass

Mac Address Filtering Check                              Pass

Security Key/Password Check                            Pass

IP Address Check                                               Pass

Detailed IP Setup Check                                     Unknown

Network Status

Printer Name                                                      EPSON0xxxxx

Printer Model                                                      ET-2850 Series

IP Address                                                         169.xxx.y.zzz

Default Gateway Network Name (SSID)            abcde

Security                                                              WPA2-PSK (AES)

Signal Strength                                                  Excellent

MAC Address                                                     E0:BB:9E:01:XX:YY

johno
0 Likes
84 REPLIES 84

Message 61 of 85

My Sagemcom router was delivered an hour or so back and I have connected to it with no problems from my Android phone and tablet. Responses seem good but now I need to change the router's ssid and password to see what other devices might not be working (Ring doorbell and chimes etc, Hive hub and printer etc).

johno
0 Likes

Message 62 of 85

Morning,

Thanks for confirming.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 63 of 85

Sorry, ignore that last. I've managed to sort myself out to the point where I can see my old posts and post as durdle again.

johno

Message 64 of 85

Had a rather disastrous day; I was trying to set up passwordless logging in, but only managed to lock myself out of my TalkTalk account, email app and community forums. I've managed to recover the first two, and I can log in to the community forums again by means of a secure access code sent to my phone, but somewhere along the way I've lost the connection to my username, durdle. Is anyone in the support team able to reconnect me, please? I need to sort this before I start playing with my Sagemcom after it arrives.

johno

0 Likes

Message 65 of 85
0 Likes

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 66 of 85

Thanks. I'll post an update here once I've had it working for a while. 

johno
0 Likes

Message 67 of 85

Thanks. I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of working days

Chris

0 Likes

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 68 of 85

Done, but can you check, please? 

johno
0 Likes

Message 69 of 85

Hi durdle

You will need to return the Huawei but not immediately, you and keep hold of it for a few weeks.

Yes, changing the SSID and password to those of the old router should mean that you won't need to reconfigure each device to connect to the new router

Could you add your name to your community profile and we'll send a replacement router

Chris

0 Likes

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 70 of 85

Given the problems I've outlined above and assuming you agree with what Keith has said about them here,  then yes, please. How long will I be able to hang on to the Huawei? Also, should I be able to change the Sagmcom ssid and password to match how my various wi-fi devices connect to the Huawei? Just bear in mind that I'm almost certainly one of your more elderly customers and will take a while to digest what I need to do to check out the Sagemcom 🫤

johno
0 Likes

Message 71 of 85

Hi

Would you like us to order a Sagemcom Hub for you ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 72 of 85

I'm about 50 to 70 yards from the cabinet. I've been a Lineone/Tiscali/TalkTalk broadband customer since not long after I moved to Lincolnshire in 2005, and I don't recall anyone else touching the cabling. 

johno
0 Likes

Message 73 of 85

Hi durdle

If you are experiencing issues with the Huawei WIFI hub then we can send you a Sagemcom WIFI hub.

Would you like us to arrange this?

0 Likes

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 74 of 85

Hi Debbie

I do, but whether I'll get any rather depends on whether you agree with Keith that my Huawei router 'must' be changed out,  and what Talktalk are able to offer. 

johno
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 75 of 85

Hi durdle

I can see that our Community Star Keith has been kindly offering support and advice. 

Do you still need help with this?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 76 of 85

This will depend on how far you live from your fibre cabinet & the quality of the cables to your house. If you have a guaranteed minimum speed of 36M, then that will be about the best you can ever expect, unless you upgrade to full fibre.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 77 of 85

No,  I just seemed to see quite a few reviewers suggesting their Sagecom routers had failed under a year old. I'll wait till I get one and then see what happens. Assuming it will help my issues above, the only other point I would make about life with my Huawei router is that my broadband speeds are a little disappointing. When I say I have Fibre 65, I mean I had a contract that expired last year, but my account details still acknowledge the service and I'm paying the normal monthly rates. The Fibre 65 spec offers a 67Mb average download, but I don't remember ever seeing a TalkTalk speed test result over 42, which isn't much above the guaranteed minimum speed of just over 36. Presumably nothing will change here with a Sagemcom.

johno
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 78 of 85

There were some problems with older firmware, but most of those have been fixed. Are you referring to a specific problem? I use one all the time and apart from the Amazon eero, which is only available on certain full fibre packages, the Sagemcom is the router that TalkTalk supplies.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 79 of 85

I can't say a quick Google search for Sagemcom FAST 5364 reviews has filled me with an enormous amount of confidence. Do Talktalk offer a better preconfigured router? For how much, and would I be better off with one? 

johno
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 80 of 85

No problem. Here is why:-

1. It had stability issues with the initial firmware V1.05
  2. This was fixed with V1.06.
  3. No more firmware development was ever done.
  4. A serious problem (not disclosed to me) was subsequently found in V1.06 & all DG8041s have automatically been returned to V1.05
  5. The router has been discontinued.
  6. TalkTalk's policy (not mine) is to replace any of these with a different make of router.

The current replacement is the Sagemcom FAST 5364, which despite being launched before the Huawei is still getting new firmware updates (the latest is due to be released within the next month). It has the same specifications as the DG8041W (other than a different manufacturer of the WiFi chipset).

The Sagemcom can be combined with another product to turn it into a mesh network if required.

Yes, it is a free replacement.

I have already requested that TalkTalk offer this to you.

Keith