cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 65 signal issues

durdle
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 85 of 85

I've been on Fibre 65 for a couple of years now and, initially, it seemed reasonably stable. Then, I was given a Ring doorbell at the beginning of last year. This has worked as expected except that one or more of the doorbell, the battery cam or the chimes has tended to stop working from time to time and had to be reconnected to WiFi. It's been annoying, but not a massive problem because these devices seem to provide quite good instructions on how to recover from connectivity problems. 

My Epson ET-2850 printer, purchased around mid ’21, has been a different kettle of fish. It has dropped its connection too often for comfort, and required various efforts on my part to become reconnected, eg by powering it, my router, and/or just my WiFi connection off and then back on etc. 

Very recently, however, these issues have become more difficult to resolve in that the printer became unavailable for several consecutive days earlier this week, and I could not recover it using any of my old strategies. Two days ago, I took it to the print shop that originally sold it to me, and they kindly configured it for their shop network, where it appeared to work with no problems. When I took it home, I attempted to reset it for my home network, but this appeared to fail with error (E-9), the subsequent printer generated report being as shown below. 

Later that evening, I noticed that the device was again showing its connected-to-WiFi symbol and found that I could print files again. 

The printer is still working this morning, well over 24 hours later, though it did go offline late last night for a while. While I'm happy for now, I'm not over confident that I won't have similar problems again before too long. 

Apart from my printer and doorbell problems, the other main issue with my WiFi has been that, all too often, I have attempted a Google search but have seen a black ‘no internet connection’ display for a few seconds before the requested information has then appeared. Also, sometimes, I have seen an equally black ‘download pending’ screen that has not delivered the goods, although a repeate attempt sometimes has done. 

These issues have often lead me to suspect my WiFi signal strength. I can't access the same information on my Samsung A9 tablet, but my Samsung A71 phone suggests it's of the order of 110 dBm 30 asu, not that I have any real understanding of what these figures imply. 

The Ring doorbell and accessories have device health displays in the Ring app, all of which seem to suggest signal strengths varying from around 45 and 70 ssi. If I look online, sometimes I see that higher ssi values indicate weaker signals, sometimes I see its the lower ones. As I say, I suspect I'm suffering from a poor signal, even though at least half my devices, including my printer just now, are only a few metres away from my router. 

I apologise for the length of this post, but can anyone offer any thoughts here, please? 

Check Network Connection

Check Result                                                      Unknown

Error code                                                           (E-9)

Confirm the connection and network setup of the PC or other device.

Connection using the EpsonNet Setup  is available.

Contact your network administrator for assistance.

If your problems persist,

see your documentation for help and networking tips.

Checked Items

Wireless Network Name (SSID)                          Pass

Communication Mode Check                              Pass

Security Mode Check                                          Pass

Mac Address Filtering Check                              Pass

Security Key/Password Check                            Pass

IP Address Check                                               Pass

Detailed IP Setup Check                                     Unknown

Network Status

Printer Name                                                      EPSON0xxxxx

Printer Model                                                      ET-2850 Series

IP Address                                                         169.xxx.y.zzz

Default Gateway Network Name (SSID)            abcde

Security                                                              WPA2-PSK (AES)

Signal Strength                                                  Excellent

MAC Address                                                     E0:BB:9E:01:XX:YY

johno
0 Likes
84 REPLIES 84

Message 41 of 85

"Can't you uninstall it?"

@KeithFrench , I would instantly uninstall the VPN if I knew where to find it. And if I knew how.

johno
0 Likes

Message 42 of 85

Of course. Our Devices Team are slowly starting to role out the new firmware over the next couple of weeks anyway so it could automatically update at some point overnight. From what we've seen it's not caused any issues.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 43 of 85

Ok, @Michelle-TalkTalk , I think I'll give the new firmware a miss for a little while unless anyone advises me that updating it would be to my benefit. And why. Can I come back to you, please, if I then decide I do want it?

Do you have any accessible information about the new firmware?

johno
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 85

Can't you uninstall it?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 45 of 85

Yes @KeithFrench , I seem to be learning that the hard way. I didn't set out to use them, I just fell foul of Mcafee's hype. As for this latest one, I have no idea where that came from, all I know is I don't want it. Until I can get rid of it, I still think I should stay on my current firmware for a while and see what transpires. I am  open to persuasion there, though

johno
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 46 of 85

Hi @durdle 

Be careful when using a VPN, once active, you lose connectivity with all other locally connected devices.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 47 of 85

Hello,

Ref  the @Michelle-TalkTalk offer, I haven't looked into firmware versions yet. If you update it for the Sagemcom, will you be able to return it to the current version if it gives me more issues? If you will, I'll happily try it. If not,  maybe I should hold off for a little while.

Unfortunately once we update the router firmware we wouldn't be able to roll this back to the previous version.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 48 of 85

Good afternoon durdle,

Not at all, we're happy to help 🙂

We have a new version of firmware for this router. Would you like us to update the router firmware now to see how this compares?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 49 of 85

Hi, Chris

You might regret asking that. 

My main issues last week were:

Hive heating app unable to load

Ring doorbell app unable to load

Printer not working.

Turning off Secure VPN in my Mcafee app fixed the first two and now the printer failures are much less intrusive and tend to disappear if I do nothing. 

Meanwhile, I'm having problems with my new Trailcam Go app, which I use to download images of hedgehogs on a video camera in my garden. I only purchased it last week, and it hadn't given me any problems over the while I was still using the Huawei router but it now fails VPN Detected using the Sagemcom, unless I disable the Mcafee app. It's all rather complicated but, in brief, the app will work on my phone, and allow me to download videos, but then stops working if I try to run it on my tablet.  Once this app has failed, the only way I have managed so far to get it to work on my phone again is to reboot the Sagemcom. All this has only occurred this morning, so I'm still struggling to understand what's happening. In particular, since the Mcafee app either has its Secure VPN switched off or it's been disabled, I have no idea how to go about finding the VPN that's causing all this.

Not really one for these forums, but you did ask, and someone might have some suggestions for me. 

Other than the above, the new router still seems stable, with down load speeds usually up around 49mbps but upload speeds usually below 10mbps. 

Ref  the @Michelle-TalkTalk offer, I haven't looked into firmware versions yet. If you update it for the Sagemcom, will you be able to return it to the current version if it gives me more issues? If you will, I'll happily try it. If not,  maybe I should hold off for a little while.

johno
0 Likes

Message 50 of 85

Hi durdle,

Glad to hear that the connection is stable. How are you getting on with your other issues?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 51 of 85

I kept my Mcafee app running this morning, but with Secure VPN set to Off. Both my Hive and Ring apps now work as expected on both my tablet and my phone. Turning Secure VPN back on stops both apps working again. 

My main issue now is with bring able to print from the phone but not from the tablet. 

I can live without the Secure VPN, but any comments on that will be welcome. 

UPDATE 1 30/08/24: I've made no changes that I'm aware of but I can now print on my tablet. 

UPDATE 2 30/08/24:  I have an app which downloads videos from a trail cam in my garden tracking visiting hedgehogs. This app loads on my tablet but, again, will not connect to the camera unless I turn off the Mcafee Secure VPN. At least it's kind enough to notify me that it can't proceed because it's detected a VPN. 

What I want to know is why do things work on one device with a Secure VPN in place and not the other. It probably has to be because the phone is on Android 13 and the tablet on Android 14. Anybody know?

johno
0 Likes

Message 52 of 85

Things seem very stable using the Sagemcom router. The TalkTalk speed test is returning download speeds in the upper, rather than the lower, 40s. The upload speed appears to have dropped somewhat, but I'm not too bothered about that.

I am concerned that I can't access my Epson printer on the tablet. I might try resetting the network name and password on it later.

UPDATE 1 29/08/24: That didn't help.

The problems with the Hive and Ring apps on the tablet need resolving but not with any immediate urgency.  I will probably have to take them up with their respective support teams but I'm not 100% sure they ever worked on the tablet with the old router,  so I'll probably reconnect to it to check. 

UPDATE 2 29/08/24: I posted a query on the Ring Community forum this morning; now waiting to see if anyone responds.  Subsequently discovered that disabling Mcafee on my tablet enabled the Ring doorbell app to load and display recorded device videos and properties/data etc

I ran a line test this morning; no problems were found, only a suggestion that there may be a problem with my setup. but I appear to have opened some sort of incident report, which I'm following up on. 

UPDATE 3 29/08/24:  Agent ran checks but found no problems.

Meanwhile, I seem to be getting consistently fast Google search responses, with no temporary 'No internet connection' displays or black download pending displays. It's early days, though. 

UPDATE 4 29/08/24: Saw a local host error when trying to access these forums on my tablet. Rebooted tablet but kept getting the same error until I also rebooted the Sagemcom.

UPDATE 5 29/08/24: One Ring device reported a weak WiFi signal and two went offline, apparentlyonly recoverable via the second Sagemcom reboot of the day.

johno
0 Likes

Message 53 of 85

Hi durdle,

Thanks for the update. We'll check in with you on Monday to see how you are getting on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 54 of 85

I stand corrected.  I just had to go back into the Sagemcom router dashboard and this time change the password. The dashboard froze again, but the change took and my Android phone and tablet, my Kindle Fire, and my very rarely used Windows 10 tablet, all now connect to the router automatically after powering up, as does my Sky TV.

My Tapo app can control my two Tapo security cameras on both my phone and my tablet.

My Hive thermostat, hub and smart radiator valves are all controllable from the app on my phone. The app fails to recognise my password on the tablet and the forgotten password process doesn't work so anything.

My Ring doorbell system, chimes, cameras and app all seem to function correctly when controlled from my phone, but the app fails 'couldn't load your locations' on the tablet.

My Epson printer and Smart Panel app appear to work correctly on my phone, but the printer cannot be detected on my tablet

Some problems to sort on the tablet, but not a bad outcome; now to focus on the performance and stability of the router.

johno
0 Likes

Message 55 of 85

That's the problem. I entered the old ssid and then couldn't do anything to get out of the router function, except reboot my phone. It  seems that was enough to rename the network,  because otherwise it wouldn't have shown as an option. However,  I couldn't then connect to the network; I'm wondering whether,  because I didn't see the password field,  never mind fill it in, maybe the network password has been reset to null, ie no characters to be entered. Sounds a bit iffy to me. 

johno
0 Likes

Message 56 of 85

No, I'm not saying that, you can change the SSID and password and then save but if you just change one of them before you save then you'll need to log back before you change the other. 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 57 of 85

Are you saying that it's not possible to change the router ssid and password at one and the same time. I guess I could have been trying the wrong password but, since I didn't get a chance to change it,  it should still be the one printed on the WiFi settings card.  I'll  try again later but I'm sure that's the one I entered earlier.

johno
0 Likes

Message 58 of 85

If you change the SSID and save, it will disconnect the device until you connect to the new SSID and log back into the router. Can you not log back into the router using the SSID (that you've just changed too) and change the password. If you do this and save it will again become unresponsive as you'll have been disconnected from the wifi network/router until you connect again with the new password - hope that makes sense

Chris

0 Likes

Message 59 of 85

That was a good start but, then, when I tried to change the Sagemcom network  name, everything went pear shaped.  I logged into router and located change network name. I entered my old ssid, but then the screen went unresponsive. After rebooting Android, I was presented with my old network name at the top of the list, with the given network name conspicuous by its absence. I tried to log in to the old name but it won't accept my old password.  As I hadn't had a chance to reset the password,  I've had to go back to using my old router, pending advice on what I should do now. 

johno
0 Likes

Message 60 of 85

Hi durdle,

Thanks for the update

Chris

0 Likes