cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Frequent disconnects - getting worse

harrybarman
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 71 of 71

Just back from 2 weeks away and my broadband is suffering from very frequent disconnects (every 5 minutes or so). It's extremely hard to work using the connection.

It started to degrade after OpenReach did some work on the telephone pole servicing my house. The landline on a different pair was out of action (and fixed). I am getting dialtone on the talktalk line. Before going away I had periods where I had frequent disconnects but nothing like this.

Can you help?

Harry

0 Likes
70 REPLIES 70

Message 41 of 71

Hi - there was an openreach guy in the street earlier fixing something... the connection now seems better (it's a bit early to tell if it's completely fixed). Was that our appointment or is a talktalk engineer still due to visit?

Regards.

Harry

0 Likes

Message 42 of 71
0 Likes

Message 43 of 71

That's great news Chris. Thanks so much for getting an appointment so soon!

Harry

Message 44 of 71

Thanks. I've booked the earliest appointment available - September 27 2023, PM - please let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 45 of 71

Thanks Chris! I accept potential charges. I'm around Weds & Fri this week. Any day from next week on.

Harry

0 Likes

Message 46 of 71

Hi Harry,

Apologies, I hadn't seen your PM. Could you just confirm that you accept potential engineer charges and let me know when you can be available for the visit and I'll book it for you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 47 of 71

Hi - not sure if Chris is around today. Can anyone else help with setting up the engineer visit? We're getting very frequent disconnects and it's almost impossible to work.

Harry

0 Likes

Message 48 of 71

Hi Harry,

I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information

Chris

0 Likes

Message 49 of 71

Thanks Chris - replied to all via PM.

Harry

0 Likes

Message 50 of 71

If you'd like us to book the visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 51 of 71

Great. Thanks Chris! Can we get a visit booked in?

Harry

0 Likes

Message 52 of 71

Hi Harry,

Line test is picking up a potential fault and showing a lot of disconnections over the weekend. If there's a fault on the line then the engineer should be able to find this even if it's not raining and you're not experiencing disconnections at the time of the visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 53 of 71

Rainfall in Kew YTD from open meteoRainfall in Kew YTD from open meteo

0 Likes

Message 54 of 71

Thanks Debbie. It's still cutting out quite frequently even now. Are there stats somewhere that show the number of disconnects over time? I think it does seem to get worse when it rains. If we get an engineer to come out then sods law dictates that they turn up on a nice dry day and find nothing wrong. I'm assuming there is a problem with some junction box between our house and the cabinet. I'm not far from the cabinet so there hopefully aren't too many places to look. Does the engineer have the TDR equipment to look for these kind of faults?

Harry

0 Likes

Message 55 of 71

Hi Harry

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed a line test and this is clear - No faults detected.

If the connection is still dropping with a different router, cable and filter at the test socket then the next step will be an engineer visit to the property.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 56 of 71

Hi - apologies for the super late response. As the weather was drier the problem cleared up and we didn't have so many disconnects. After the recent wet weather the number of disconnects has risen significantly (it's many times an hour today). I have an alternative router and have moved to using that. Apart from it handling disconnects a bit better the overall situation has not improved.

I have 2 lines coming to the house - the talktalk line and a BT line. The BT line has been out for most of the week but the talktalk line has a clear dialtone.

Regards,

Harry

0 Likes

Message 57 of 71

Hi Harry

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing?

0 Likes

Message 58 of 71

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've re-checked the connection stats now and I can still see a few re-connections on the line. Have you recently tested with an alternative router? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes. We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 59 of 71

Thanks Karl. Just had another disconnect.

Harry

0 Likes

Message 60 of 71

Hi

ok, lets see if anything changes over the next 24hrs.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes