cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Internet connection disconnecting and intermittent crackling on phone

johnny95
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 116 of 116

Hi,

My internet connection has been disconnecting for serval months. Recently it has got worse. I also have intermittent crackling on the phone. I was using the black Huawei hub and then the Sagemcom WiFi hub 2.

However they both were rebooting automatically. So I then tried a different setup with a router and modem. I used the BT Huawei Echolife HG612 provided by Talktalk a while ago, and a Eero Pro 6 router. The DSL on the modem did the same and kept dropping. I'm now using a Draytek Vigor 166 modem with the Eero Pro 6. Unfortunately this modem also dropped DSL. So it's fair to say it's the internet connection where the problem is.

I have now connected my modem to the test socket on the master socket. It's been connected for just over a week. As far as I know it hasn't dropped so far. I'm thinking it may be the faceplate on the socket that could be the problem? However I'm not 100% sure. It could be a line or exchange issue? I had an issue with the exchange over 10 years ago, where the filters needed replacing. Maybe it's the same issue, I'm not sure. 

As there has been so many disconnections my speed has dropped from 58Mbps to 44Mbps. I'm guessing the DLM has slowed it down? 

Please can you help,

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
115 REPLIES 115

Message 2 of 116

Thanks. That sounds good. I’ll keep monitoring my connection for now and let you know next week how it’s going. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 116

If you upgrade to full fibre with Voip then if the package specifies an eero you would also receive a digital voice adapter. This allows you to connect a telephone to the eero

Chris

Message 4 of 116

Thanks for the info. I'm actually now thinking of upgrading to Full fibre soon, as my contract runs out next month. I asked the OpenReach engineers regarding a home phone. he said that I can still have one. I'm currently using a Eero Pro 6 router which I would like to continue using, however would I need to use a different router to have a phone? I'm not sure how the setup would work?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 116

Yes, if something changes on the line then it's usual for DLM to change the profile over next few days. It will probably stay stable now but it may change the profile again over the next few days depending on stability and errors

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 116

Ok, thanks. Is that normal for the DLM to change the profile after a reset from the engineers? I guess it will stay stable now then? 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 116

Thanks for the update. Looking good from our end, Line test is passing and router is in sync at 54.7Mbps, DLM has changed the profile a couple of time over the last few days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 116

Hi Chris,

Thanks for checking back. It seems fine at the moment, I'm still getting 51Mbps download. A few days after the OpenReach engineers had been I noticed some fluctuating speeds. I'm guessing this maybe because the speed was reset and it was the DLM testing my speed, I'm not sure? However on the whole it seems ok. How does it look from your end?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 116

Hi johnny95,

How are you getting on, how has it been since your last post?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 116

I will do. Cheers.

Message 11 of 116

Hi John

Please can you keep the router powered up without being rebooted, we can then check the connection again Monday to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed.

Thanks

Message 12 of 116

Thanks, Debbie. So I guess my speed should increase a bit from 51Mbps in the next week or so. 

Cheers,

John.

Message 13 of 116

Hi John

I've checked and the line is in sync at 56.1mb.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 14 of 116

Thanks, Michelle. 

Can you tell me what my Sync Speed is now? 

Thanks,

John.

Message 15 of 116

Morning John,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear this. If the fault was found on Openreach maintained equipment then no charges will apply. We'll check back in with you on Monday to see how your connection/speed has been.

Michelle

Message 16 of 116

Hi Chris,

Just to let you know the OpenReach engineers have been. They found the loop fault was at the telegraph pole outside. Water had caused some damage. I’ve attached a photo of the faulty parts.

My download speed is 51Mbps now. The engineer quoted 60Mbps, so I guess speed will increase in the next few weeks, as the connection stays stable. As the problem was outside, I guess there aren’t any charges? 

Cheers,

John. 

IMG_0634.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 18 of 116

Thanks. I will do.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 116

I've booked the appointment for - September 11 2024, PM - please let us know how you get on.

Chris

Message 20 of 116

Cheers, Chris.

0 Likes