cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Replacement Fast-5364 frequently dropping 2.4 GHz

customer-since-2010
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

I have three questions please regarding my FAST-5364 router, which frequently drops the 2.4GHz band.  For those interested I include details afterwards.

1) I've read in this community about 'Wi-Fi optimisation being turned off', and it solving issues.  I don't understand what this means, but is is worth a try?

2) If I were to set a timer to switch off the power to the router for 20 mins each night, could this forestall the issue?  I anticipate that this is not advised, but if I went ahead anyway then what time in the night should I avoid (for router updates etc.)?

3) I've read in this community about purchasing a router (e.g. various Asus brands).  As I have FTTC would I need to use the FAST-5364 (or my old HG635) as a 'modem'?  If I were to be upgraded to FTTP would I get a different Talk Talk router anyway?

Thank you.

Background:
I received a replacement FAST-5364 on 22 March in response to my community post the previous day.  I was impressed with the responsiveness of customer service, and the replacement router was rock-solid for 3 weeks.  Unfortunately, since 12 April, it has frequently dropped the 2.4GHz band, requiring a re-boot to fix it.  The 5GHz band remains usable. In some cases the 2.4GHz is still being broadcast, but all devices lose connection and can no longer reconnect.  After a re-boot it sometimes lasts a few days, but mostly it needs fixing daily - the time of day varies (I keep a note). A 20 min reboot or a 30 sec off/on seems to make no difference. 

It's especially inconvenient as we have a number of home devices that expect 24/7 access, and if we are away we can't reset the router.

I'm not interested in having the line tested etc, as I went thought all of this with the original FAST-5364, and when I swapped it with an old HG635 the problem went away.  The neighbouring Wi-Fi signals are much lower strength so I don't suspect interference. 

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Graham,

You could give the HG635 a try to see how it compares. If you do, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hi Karl,

Thanks for having a go at fixing the router.  It behaved for four days, however I had to reboot it this morning as the 2.4GHz band was , again, unconnectable. It's been said elsewhere that it's probably not a router issue, however I don't have confidence with the FAST-5364, even though its my second unit.  I've already mentioned that my old HG635 works faultlessly - its slow and has insufficient range but I'm minded to swap over to it or buy an alternative.  Any thoughts please?

Thanks,

Graham

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi

I've made some changes here to see if I can improve things for you.  I notice some Wi-Fi coverage issues, a couple of devices using 5Ghz band dropping signal to between -80dBm and -90dBm, but this could be mobile devices moving round the home or towards the end of mobile range.

Lets see if the channel changes and other options have any effect, see if performance improves over the course of the day.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Unfortunately, plugging the router directly into a wall socket had no benefit - the 2.4GHz band went down after 28 hours. 

I'm thinking of purchasing my own router, perhaps an Asus. As I have FTTC would I need to use the FAST-5364 (or my old HG635) as a 'modem'?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14
0 Likes

customer-since-2010
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 14

Hi Chris, 

Yes, the router was plugged into an extension lead. I've rejigged things so it's now directly into a wall socket. I'll update the post when its had some runtime. 

Thanks, 

Graham

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Graham,

Sorry, deactivating wifi optimisation isn't an option at the moment. Are you able to test temporarily with the router connected directly to the wall socket just to see if it's causing any interference 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi Chris,

It probably is on an extension lead with other devices (I can't check until later) - we have very few sockets in that room. Is there a high spec extension lead that I could use?

Regarding deactivating optimisation is it a non-option?

Thanks,

Graham

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

I'm sorry, we can't deactivate wifi optimisation at the moment. I agree that if you have the same issue with 2 different routers then it's probably not going to be the router. Is the router currently connected to a multi-socket electrical extension lead shared with other devices?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the offer, however this is already my 2nd router, and given that it worked fine for three weeks I'm unsure about trying a third just now. Can we firstly have a go with deactivating the wifi optimisation please?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

OK, we can send another router to test with, would you like us to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Hi Chris,

I relocated it to an electrically quieter area some time ago but with no benefit. 

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hi customer-since-2010,

Switching the router off for 20 minutes each night shouldn't cause a problem in itself but not sure if cutting the power to the router with a timer is the best thing to do on a regular basis.

There doesn't appear to be any local wifi interference at the moment. Is the router situated close to other wireless or electrical equipment that could be causing interference?

Chris

0 Likes