FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds at test Socket even slower at Master socket

jal666
Popular Poster
Message 19 of 19

Hi

After spending 2 hours on talktalk livechat I've decided to come here as I'm pulling my hair out to see if anyone can help me

When connecting my Huawe HG633 at the NTE Master socket (FTTC Type) I get 25Mb sync speed and using the speedtest link from option 5 of talktalk.help I get thoughput speeds of around 3Mb-5Mb.

On connecting to the test socket I get 39Mb sync speeds and a throughput speed of 6Mb to 10Mb.

The livechat agent had me reset my router with a pin and this brought the throughput speed to 15Mb at the master socket, once the chat ended I ran the test again and was back at 3Mb. 

I'm currently connected to the test socket and geting 39Mb Downstream line rate.

Is it possible to get an engineer out to get this checked, something isn't right

Thanks

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

That's great news jal666, thanks for the update

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19

Hi

Even though TalkTalk messaged me saying my engineer appointment was cancelled the engineer turned up at 9am

He has replaced my master socket front plate with the front plate from my other master socket previously used for a business line and disconnected my extension wiring as I was told this had a data extension which could have been the likely cause of my 10Mb loss when the original face plate was attached.

My wireless speeds have also increased, I am now getting around 30mb where as before the 2G wireless range was giving 30Mb where the 5G range was giving 8Mb, I will keep an eye on this over the next week.

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Hi

I have sent a private message to Chris but in case Chris is off today can someone look into this please?

I have had a text message from TalkTalk this morning to advise the engineer appintment I booked is no longer available and unfortunately we are currently unable to make new appointments

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Hi jal666,

I've booked the engineer appointment for tomorrow morning (20-Apr-21 09:00 - 12:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 5 of 19

Hi jal666

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the TalkTalk engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

Hi

Thanks you for the article.

I would be happy for a TakTalk engineer to visit my property and replace my master socket, I confirm I am happy for the cost of an engineer.

If there is availability for a visit next week that would be ideal

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 19

Hello,

I've included a Help Article below which contains all the information about the engineer charges. This would be a TalkTalk Engineer Visit. If you're happy with the cost of the engineer then please let us know and we can confirm some details with you to arrange this.

Engineer charges

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Appreciate the response, I'd much perfer an engineer come in and fix it for me at this stage, not comfortable with touching the wiring personally

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

If "half the socket is hanging off the wall" then it seems that it is wired up to extension sockets. As you say you do not use these it would be perfectly safe to detach the wires from the back of the faceplate and loop them carefully out of the way so that they don't touch/interfere with each other or any back wiring. Try replacing and using the faceplate again, that may fix the issue. Otherwise you could source and replace a faceplate far more cheaply than having an engineer do it for you. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19

Hi

Yes I would like to go ahead with an engineer visit, I'd perfer this than to have the half the socket hanging off the wall.

If you could advise on the charges for an engineer & how the charges will be taken (does this go on my next bill)?

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 19

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. If it appears to be the faceplate then we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate and replace the faceplate, however this would be a chargeable visit as the faceplate is classed as internal wiring. If you would like to go ahead with this then please let us know and we can confirm some details with you to arrange this.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Hi

Yes I have two extension sockets in the house additional to my master socket, I have never used either of them and I am unsure whether they are connected to this master socket or the other master socket that was installed by the previous home owner for a business line.

I did try to explain to the livechat agent this was a faulty master socket that likely needed replacing most likely but they didnt understand, at one point in my livechat when I said I couldnt tether my laptop to my phone so we didnt lose connection for a test they said to contact Caprhone Warehouse instead, seemed strange?

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 19

Hi jal666,

Thanks for the update. If the speed is ok at the test socket but then drops again when the faceplate is re-connected then this would indicate a potential issue with the faceplate or any internal wiring connected to the line. Do you have any extension sockets?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

Hi

I have yet to test wired, I hope to do so in the next few days

I do feel I need a new master socket, there should not be any reason I lose 15Mb in downstream line rate just because I have the faceplate connected, when the faceplate is removed and I connect to the test socket the downstream line rate jumps from 25Mb to 39Mb, I am taking this figure from the Internet Connection Status tab via the router gui.

I am currently connected to the test socket as reconnecting the faceplate gives me a wireless throughput of 3Mb-5Mb even with a 25Mb downstream line rate, this is unusable for a household that is working from home.

My wireless errors have also increased as seen below, a new router may improve things for me, I see a lot of people previously have complained about the wireless errors occuring on the HG633 model of Huawei router.

jal666_0-1618387578299.png

Thanks

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 19

Hi jal666,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. How does the speed compare if you connect wired?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

Thanks

I have added to my community profile

I will give wired a try from my laptops, I get 22Mb from my PS4 which is wired on the 39Mb downstream line rate which is okay

I do feel that the master socket is somewhat at fault, I don't feel I should lose 15Mb sync speed just by ataching the faceplate but the livechat agents don't have a drop down for this I'm assuming so I didnt get very far

I have also noticed a lot of wireless errors, I do see this has been mentioned many times before in this forum and I'm wondering if simply a different router whether from talktalk or buying myself may improve things, currently on 5G I have 500//700/2531 sent/recieved/discarded and 2G I have 3/485//3008, this is from 0 when I reset around 12 hours ago.

I'll try disconnecting wireless device one by one and see if this makes any difference this week but I do still feel there is an issue with that master socket, working from home makes it difficult during the day to run testing as I can't afford to be disconnecting at all the time.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 19

Hi @jal666,

Are you running the speed test from a wired or wireless device, it is best to do it from a wired device to get accurate results.

Have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session' in the street cabinet, this can sometimes help get the wired throughput speeds back up closer to the sync speed.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.

jal666
Popular Poster
Message 18 of 19
39Mb downstream line rate
Throughput 7.24Mbps
0 Likes