cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Support leaked that my internet was being Throttled because of high traffic... and now it's happenin

PrivacyMatters
Participant
Private Message
Private Message

Message 21 of 21

For the past 4 days i've been having my Fibre Connection go up and down every 5-10 seconds. In my task manager the network shows a Ziz zag like this /\______/\______/\______/\ at constant intervals. 

I had the horrid and laborious ordeal of having to live chat with the automated Talk talk tech support, an hour later and lots of frustrating questions like "Do you have this socket? Do you have wifi connected?" is so unecessary. I wish you'd remember these questions for every single time I have to talk to you as it gets very frustrating.

The tech member this morning "refreshed my session" which was disactivated because of high traffic. I'm sorry what? I'm paying this much to be throttled due to too much traffic where my connection is constantly being disconnected ?  It's a good thing i'm no longer in a contract. 

The worst part is I can't even report a new fault because it says " Fault FIXED". Sorry, it was fixed for half a day then tonight the same thing is happening... Throttled and disconnected YET AGAIN! 

My phone number is obscured for customer security  Support are very frustrating in particular because I am on "legacy fibre" so I have to constantly explain my self, go through the steps with one very very slow typing agent, then get transferred and repeat myself, and then answer these horrid questions about what router i'm using.

Surely talk talk can see what router i'm using as you have a direction connection to it and can even see the firmware version i'm on!!!?!?!?  

Can someone competent please resolve my issue before I leave? Your automated system says Fault found, doing more tests.... then 5 minutes later is showing as Fault fixed. I'm sorry what???

Shocking that simply putting me as a higher priority and refreshing my connection made it work for half a day and now it seems i'm seemingly not allowed to use the internet as the same issue is occuring within 24 hours. This is not acceptable TalkTalk. 

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi

Openreach will not automatically fix this as they will be unaware of the issue.  We need to follow their (Openreach) process when requesting the engineer. 

Openreach will ask that you agree to their terms for the visit, and that someone is available at the property should they need to complete further testing or work at the property on the day, so this has to be an agreed visit made with you.

I'll send you a PM with some details to complete to allow me to arrange this.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

PrivacyMatters
Participant
Private Message
Message 2 of 21

Hi Karl. I was told the openreach engineers would automatically be fixing this issue the issue as it is from my house to the exchange..!?!  The engineer yesterday said they wont need acccess as the issue isn't with my home.

Can you not even see the report of what the last engineer did or concluded!? I need my broadband fixed.. Why am i having to chase this so much?!  Obviously I want an engineer if that's whats needed, although i was told the engineer yesterday was openreach.... Who was that???  

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi

Would you like to arrange an Openreach engineer now ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

PrivacyMatters
Participant
Private Message
Message 4 of 21

Again, 1:00 AM on the dot disconnected for 10 minutes.  (phone also lost signal to the wifi) and my computer which is connected via LAN also disconnected at same time..

disconnected.png
0 Likes

PrivacyMatters
Participant
Private Message
Message 5 of 21

Hi Michelle. As I said, the engineer attended today at noon, and as I explained the fault was not in my home nor with my equipment. He replaced the router and it was still showing him an error and he said it needs Open reach to fix it. Looking at my fault time line it says "this issue is now fixed" at 1:00:PM which was impossible as the engineer was in my home around that time. and he said he was escalating it to an open reach technician.

At 12:15 AM today, my internet again dropped for 15 mins. When trouble shooting via my phone and testing my line it said "We have detected an error with your broadband, we need to do a test" and then it says "Sorry we run into a problem please try again later".

I'm very frustrated at this. Your trouble shooting doesn't work, my ticket was closed and declared as fixed when the engineer specifically said it's an issue between my house and the exchange...Where do we go from here? 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Morning,

Thank you for confirming. If the connection is dropping directly at the Openreach modem then this would require an engineer visit to investigate. You mention that it seems to happen at exactly 1am everyday. Do you have any devices set on a timer to come on or off around this time?

Thanks

0 Likes

PrivacyMatters
Participant
Private Message
Message 7 of 21

Hi Michelle. Exactly 1 AM again, it disconnected. Lights 2 and 4 were flashing rapidly, and 1 was OFF, 3 was solid.  On the OPENREACH modem. And now it's consistent again ( 1 blinking, 2, 3, 4 are solid) 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi,

I understand. When all testing has been completed (wired connection at the test socket, etc) and the line tests are clear and there are no known issues in the area/or at your exchange, then the only option we have is to arrange an engineer visit for further investigation. If the line tests detected a potential external fault then we could arrange a line/external engineer, but when the tests are clear (as they are now) then this has to be an appointed engineer visit to the property. They can also check outside the property and run some more extensive tests.

You mentioned in your first post that you first noticed this around 4-5 days ago, did anything change around this date such as a new device/equipment connected to the line, the set up has changed or extreme bad weather/etc? I've also just run a quick voice test and this has also come back clear.

Thanks

0 Likes

PrivacyMatters
Participant
Private Message
Message 9 of 21

And to add, it was tech support that actually told me my connection was being throttled due to high traffic. I don't "think" that. And that he refreshed my session it worked for the majority of the day.  

0 Likes

PrivacyMatters
Participant
Private Message
Message 10 of 21

Well, it was this morning, and last night at exactly 00:57 it dropped, then the next hour it was up down up down up down constantly.

After I called tech support again this morning, they are useless. They've arranged for an engineer visit which is unecessary, and all they were talking about was me being fined if anything is damaged... because "their system" showed an engineer visit as being the suggested next step- despite me explaining it's not a problem with my set up. For example, right now everything is working perfectly... until it suddenly drops.

This is clearly a) an issue from talktalks end or b) an issue at the exchange itself.

The top of the photo is literally right now, but i made a mockup of what the connection appears to be like when the issue happens. 

It doesn't take a genius to work that out. Hopefully you'll be able to identify the issue without the need for an engineer to visit just to see that everything is as it should be. 

Rightnowdd.png
0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi,

Ok thank you. I'm just trying to see if it is the router or the modem which is dropping the connection. You mention that you think that your connection is being throttled, do you only experience this issue at specific times of the day or at random?

Thanks

0 Likes

PrivacyMatters
Participant
Private Message
Message 12 of 21

Yes it's a white 5c Openreach modem. I will take a look when it does disconect if the lights change. Right now it is 3 solid on the right and blinking lan one 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Hello,

Thank you. Do you also have a separate Openreach modem that the router attaches to? If you do then do any of the lights change on the modem?

Thanks

0 Likes

PrivacyMatters
Participant
Private Message
Message 14 of 21

Updated info in community profile. It's working RIGHT NOW, but again it can suddenly stop and then the 5 seconds on and off happens again. And no, white lights remain on the Router when this is occuring. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Morning,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Can I just confirm, have you noticed if any of the lights change on both the Openreach modem and the router when this happens please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

The size and frequency of the peaks will depend on what you are streaming and your own internet speed, I have a relatively slow connection at 32 Mbps so am using more of my bandwidth.

I can assure you that what you are seeing is normal for streaming and not throttling of your connection.

If you download a file you should see a more constant line, but even that can be erratic depending on the server you are connected to.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Hello, Your's is more like /\_/\_/\_/\ whereas mine is like /\____________/\_____________/\_________________/\

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hello, information updated

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 21

If you are streaming TV then Windows Task Manager will show EXACTLY what you are seeing !

You are not being disconnected, data is just coming in bursts.

It is completely normal and not throttling by an ISP, mine does this whether I am here on 30 Mbps or using my 1 GB connection at my other property in Thailand.

You need to check what is happening at your router, not in Task Manager !

Task ManagerTask Manager

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes