FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think my router has been hacked

Sara82
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 6

My son was having trouble getting on to the internet on our laptop. I checked the network and though I typed the network security key/Wi-Fi password it was not connecting. 

I then had a phone call from my husband who had left the house a few mins before and he says there was a suspicious man near our house saying he couldn’t get on to Wifi and it was bad in the area…could I still see him. I looked out and he noticed me and then crossed the road to speak to someone else…

I became anxious and did a reset on the router and this brought the connection back. I went into the router settings using the IP address  192.168. 1.1  to change the password and I set up a strong password but before I could save it it took me back to the login page! I logged in again with my new password and tried to navigate to where I had been and I was then dropped back to the log in page…I am very nervous and don’t know what’s going on. Can anyone help me please? 

Not sure if this is relevant but I took this picture after the reset, this is what came up;

B8AF3718-6E64-4545-BA9C-48572D8EBFEC.jpeg

Any assistance is much appreciated. My iPhone has been saying that there is weak security for our router-wasn’t sure what that meant but starting to wonder now.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

FritzCT
Wise Owl
Message 1 of 6

@Sara82 look for any unknown devices in the IP pool if you're concerned but as @martswain said it's extremely unlikely someone hacked your router with a mobile phone as they would need to be more or less standing nest to your router. The HG635 doesn't have very good wi-fi range.

It does (or at least did), however, have a security vulnerability which means you should keep WPS turned off in the user interface.

Message 2 of 6

Hi

I'm not showing any devices connected at the moment. You can change the wifi passwords if unsure, but I would also suggest, if there is a stranger that keeps hanging around outside your home, they may not be there for the wifi, there could be other reasons, so if this continues you should report this to the police if you are worried.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Thank you. It’s a super router HG635…

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 6

Hi Sara82

If you follow the advice from martswain, this will help.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 5 of 6

What make and model router do you have ?

As long as it has the default passwords printed on the back or a card suggest you reset it to default by pressing the button for 30 seconds or more.

Then log in to the router using the default credentials and change all you need.

It may be a bit of a pain having to reconnected multiple devices, but it should put your mind at rest.

It is highly unlikely a man on foot in the street would be able to hack you on a smartphone and quite honestly why would they as they have to be close to your home to do anything, if he starts camping in your garden that's the time to be suspicious.

0 Likes