cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

alternative routers

Riley321
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 59 of 59

I have a sagecom fast 5364 wifi hub which is having multple disconnections although some are only for a matter of seconds, The logs show that there are constant errors with the message DNS resolution failure and the router speed fluctuates. The router incoming speed is 75-77 mbps but only 67-68 mbps on the output side regardless of how many household items i have attached. I have rebooted the router several times including taking the router back to factory settings. The output of the router including the disconnections are measured using a Sam Knows white box which monitors the router performance for Ofcom. Does anyone have any ideas on how to a) resolve the DNS failure problem. b) solve the problem of the unit disconnecting, c) obtain a reasonably constant speed. Failing this advice on alternative affordable routers would be appreciated. Note that the line has been checked and everything seems to be fine. If i contact technical services all they do is run through the same check list finishing with a test where you have to re-contact them where the list is repeated.

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes
58 REPLIES 58

Message 1 of 59

Hi

Ok, we'll be here when you need us 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 59

Hi There

I will do, we have tried everything else, the router has been changed so now it will be a case of item by item to see if i can find the culprit. Its a shame that full fibre is not available yet.

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 3 of 59

Hi

Ok, let us know how the testing goes and if you need our team to assist with anything or run any further tests.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 59

Hi Michele

Thank you for running the test, I think i need to disconnect everything from my system and plug the router into the test socket and add back items one by one over a few weeks. There is only one light on the router which is very faint so do not notice any change in it. Some of the disconnections happen overnight when my laptop is turned off. the disconnections show up on the white box system and also disconnect some always on items. I will reset the router and add items one by one.

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 5 of 59

Morning,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks stable for 12 days. Did any of the lights change on the router when this happened? Are you connected wireless at the time?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 59

Hi Chris

Sorry to be a pain but could you run a line test to check on any disconnections over the past week as iv'e had a few at 6 seconds each but on both the 15 & 16th there are two showing of 13 minutes each. 

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 7 of 59

That great Riley321, thanks for letting me know 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 59

Hi Chris

I'm happy with that and the white box shows a reasonably constant 68.5 mbps with only the one disconnect. Hopefully the replacement router and updated software have solved the problem, Many thanks to Debbie and yourself.

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 9 of 59

Hi Riley,

Line test is passing and just showing one disconnection in the last 2 weeks 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 59

Hi Debbie

it wouldn't hurt to do that, 

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 11 of 59

Hi Riley321

I'm so glad to hear this.

Would you like me to check the connection stats and run a line test just to check? (the connection will drop briefly when I run the test though)

0 Likes

Message 12 of 59

Hi Debbie

So far so good, only 1 disconnection but it was for 2 minutes so it could be anything so i'm not worried about that.

Regards

Riley321

Message 13 of 59

Hi Riley321

I'm so glad to hear this. Has everything been working ok since the firmware was updated?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 59

Hi Debbie

Just to let you know that the router software has been updated to version SG4K100158. Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Riley321

Message 15 of 59

Hi Debbie, that's no problem, 

Regards

Riley321

Message 16 of 59

Thanks Debbie.

Router is left on 24/7 and not looking at rebooting it, hopefully that will cure the problem, if it doesn't then I shall just love with it.

Regards 

Riley321

Message 17 of 59

Hi Riley321

Apologies for the delay. I've asked our Devices Team to update your router firmware today.

Please can you keep the router powered up without being rebooted. I will post back to confirm once the firmware has been updated.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 59

Hi Debbie

Can you check to see if they have pushed the latest software to my router yet, The new router is giving a fairly level wifi output of 68.5mbps however there are still disconnections being shown as visible on the attached Sam Knows white box desktop. the white box is directly connected to the router. I have checked with Sam Knows and they have run checks on the box and the box is operating correctly. TalkTalk have checked the line and that is working properly. the disconnections happened on the old box as well so is it possible that it is a firmware/software fault.

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 19 of 59

Hi Riley321, thanks for the update

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 59

Hi Debbie

The new router seems to be giving  a fairly constant 68mbps now with only a few disconnections shown which are only a matter of seconds. There is still DNS failures showing but they are all for the Sky Q box but not causing any problems. I have packed the old router up and should get it in the post by the end of the week. They haven't managed to update the firmware yet but that should happen in due course. Once again many thanks for your help and patience in helping me.

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes