cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

alternative routers

Riley321
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 59 of 59

I have a sagecom fast 5364 wifi hub which is having multple disconnections although some are only for a matter of seconds, The logs show that there are constant errors with the message DNS resolution failure and the router speed fluctuates. The router incoming speed is 75-77 mbps but only 67-68 mbps on the output side regardless of how many household items i have attached. I have rebooted the router several times including taking the router back to factory settings. The output of the router including the disconnections are measured using a Sam Knows white box which monitors the router performance for Ofcom. Does anyone have any ideas on how to a) resolve the DNS failure problem. b) solve the problem of the unit disconnecting, c) obtain a reasonably constant speed. Failing this advice on alternative affordable routers would be appreciated. Note that the line has been checked and everything seems to be fine. If i contact technical services all they do is run through the same check list finishing with a test where you have to re-contact them where the list is repeated.

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes
58 REPLIES 58

Message 41 of 59

Are the Ethernet speeds generally higher than wifi?

0 Likes

Message 42 of 59

a mix of wifi and cable  mainly though wifi

0 Likes

Message 43 of 59

Are those devices connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 44 of 59

Chris

if you do a speed test in my account the speed to some of my items is 22mbps up tp 50mbps

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 45 of 59

Hi Chris 

telephone socket to router 75mbps house side of router 67mbps most times it can drop during peak periods

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 46 of 59

OK thanks, what sort of speeds have you been seeing?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 47 of 59

Hi There

first disconnection was when Karl updated the firmware, 2nd one was me rebooting the router as a couple of failures happened, the attached word doc is a copy of the log file today.

regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 48 of 59

Hi Riley321,

Line test is showing a couple of reconnections yesterday, did you reboot the router yesterday?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 49 of 59

Hi Karl

Just checked this morning and the router log still shows multiple DNS failure errors occurring and speed is a bit erratic although does not cause a problem.

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 50 of 59

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 51 of 59

Hi Karl

Thanks for updating router, just looked at logs and all showing info (not error) Will keep an eye on it but hopefully it is sorted.

Thanks

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 52 of 59

Hi

update completed. Firmware showing as V158 now, see if this helps.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 53 of 59

Hi

i'll push it now.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 54 of 59

Hi Karl 

logging off now for a couple of hours

regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 55 of 59

Hi Karl

I will log out and the router will be free for a couple of hours, I would assume that the router will run through a restart procedure so i will know once the light goes back to white after the start up

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Message 56 of 59

Hi

your router is currently on V136. There is a later version just rolling out, V158. 

When we update the router it can knock you offline for about 5 to 10 minutes.

When is the best time to push this.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 57 of 59

Hi Karl

That would be great as i do not know the version of software but if you were to update it to the latest then at the very least it should fully reset the router. 

Regards

Riley321

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 58 of 59

Hi

Would you like me to update the router to a later firmware and see if that helps ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes