FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow download speed

Fran888
Team Player
Message 23 of 23

a few days ago my fibre broadband download speed dropped to approximately 30% of what I had previously
Previously my router statistics showed the following:

Upload speed: 9950 kbps Maximum 10,100 kbps
Download speed: 34999 kbps Maximun 41000 kbps

It now shows the following:

Upload speed: 9946 kbps Maximum 10,079 kbps
Download speed: 11399 kbps Maximun 30139kbps

I have power cycled the router several times (waiting 30 minutes before restarting in all cases)
but got no improvement.
I am using a 3rd party router (TPLINK VR2800) which has always been fine.
Router is connected directly to my master socket via a VDSL splitterand I have no extension sockets

phil pulley
0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

Message 1 of 23

Hi Phil

Thanks for keeping us updated

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

Message 2 of 23

Hi Chris
Just a quick update on my slow fibre broadband problem.
Openreach engineer came on time and initial line test showed it was ok, although speed very low.
He then did other tests culminating in a TDR test which showed a wiring fault approx 100 m from my property.
He traced this to a pole in a nearby road that my overhead line went to. He investigated it and found it was wired
oddly to the adjacent box and used aluminium cable, which can apparently cause problems with DSL connections.
He rewired it all with copper cable and did a DLM reset. This caused speeds to improve to 9995 upload and 39210 download (apparently it`s a 40/10 connection so thats not bad).
TT said wait a few days for it to stabilise. There were a few rermote disconnects initially but has now stabilised on these speeds.
So all sorted for now!

Thanks for your help

Phil

phil pulley

Message 3 of 23

Hi Phil,

I've booked the engineer for September 15 2021, AM (8:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

Fran888
Team Player
Message 4 of 23

Hi Chris

I`m ok with your charges if fault is found to not be due to Talktalk or Openreach.

Will visit be Talktalk or Openreach?

I can be available any day AM or PM if you tell me in advance what day

phil pulley
0 Likes

Message 5 of 23

Hi Phil,

if you'd like us to arrange an engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges

• Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

•  

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

​​​​​​​Chris

0 Likes

Fran888
Team Player
Message 6 of 23

Ok it`s now Monday and speed still as low as last week.

There were a couple of remote disconnects / reconnects since last Thursday (DLM presumably) which havecnot improved speed, but I note ping is now much faster (not an issue for me) due I assume to the channel type changing from `interleaved` to `fast` (DLM action I assume).

However, as I say, speed is still less than half what it was, in spite of DLM interventions.

So I guess I now need an engineer visit to sort this out - please can you arrange this?

Regds

Phil

phil pulley
0 Likes

Message 7 of 23
0 Likes

Fran888
Team Player
Message 8 of 23

as its been 4 or 5 days since speed dropped and several disconnect / reconnects with no speed increase I`m not confident DLM will change anything.

I`ll wait until Monday and post again re speed = I will probably need an engineer visit

Regards

Phil

phil pulley
0 Likes

Message 9 of 23

DLM is changing your profile but each new profile is still capping the speed at 11.4Mbps. If the connection remains stable with a low error count DLM should move you to a faster profile over the next few days. If you'd like DLM resetting we will need to arrange an engineer visit, if you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit please let me know and I'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Fran888
Team Player
Message 10 of 23

Hi Chris

I don`t think DLM is changing anything.

This remote disconnect/reconnect in the early hours has happened 2 or 3 times since my speed dropped - but each time the speeds come out the same, no profile change. Don`t understand how with a max download speed (reported by router) of approx 60 mb/s I still end up with a download speed of 11398.

Can you request a DLM reset from Openreach these days or does that require an engineer visit. Nothing has changed in my house but download speed has dropped dramatically - so I suspect line or cabinet problem.

Please arrange an engineer visit if thats what it takes to get things moving

Thanks

Phil

phil pulley
0 Likes

Message 11 of 23

Hi Fran888,

DLM is changing your line profile, it changed it in the early hours of this morning. Could you leave the router connected to the test socket for the time being and we'll see if it continues to move you to faster profile. If it doesn't then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Fran888
Team Player
Message 12 of 23

Hi

I ran my HG633 router connected to test socket as requested - there was a remote disconnect / reconnect at around 2AM but the speed when reconnected was the same as before,

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):

Downstream line rate (kbit/s):

- see router status file attached

Masximum download shows around 60 mb/s so why am I only connecting atabout 11?

So where do we go from here?

phil pulley
0 Likes

Message 13 of 23
0 Likes

Fran888
Team Player
Message 14 of 23

ive cionnected my hg633 router to test socket now as requested

I,ll wait 24 hours and report on speed to this thread

phil pulley
0 Likes

Message 15 of 23

Hi,

Would it be possible to test the HG633 router at the test socket for 24hrs just to rule out any issues with the faceplate as the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit?

Thanks

0 Likes

Fran888
Team Player
Message 16 of 23

Talktalk router (HG633) is connected to master socket which is the only socket I have.

I just checked the system log which showed a disconnect/reconnect in the early hours but download speed remained slow the same (11399). Upload speed still as before (9995)

I can connect to test socket  if you like but I can`t see it will  make any difference as i only have the single master socket anyway (no extensions).

Please advise

phil pulley
0 Likes

Message 17 of 23

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Can I just confirm, is the TalkTalk router connected at the test socket? Is the TalkTalk router also still connected at the moment as it can take up to 24hrs for DLM to make changes to the speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 23

since original post I have switched back to my TalkTalk Huawei HG633 router and swapped the DSL cable and microfilter - made no difference download speed still drastically reduced

phil pulley
0 Likes

Fran888
Team Player
Message 19 of 23

voice service is OK - so what happens now?

phil pulley
0 Likes

Fran888
Team Player
Message 20 of 23

voice is fine

phil pulley
0 Likes