cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

slow fibre speeds and regular disconnects

guitarman3
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 58 of 58

hi guys. this past week or so my fibre is constantly disconnecting. when it does i reboot router and all seems ok  for a few hours then it starts to drop again. fibre speeds are pretty low. streaming films and shows is useless as i dont have enough dl speed to watch them. browsing internet is so slow any ideas?

0 Likes
57 REPLIES 57

Message 21 of 58

hi debbie. karl sent me a pm asking me to give some of my contact details so we could disccuss the connection problem further. i need to set up a telephone password but in my account it''s telling my i'm unable to set  one up. i'm using the wired connection and i tried it wireless also. i'm not using a vpn either. what could be the problem? you have my old phone number so i'm also trying to update to the my new number. i'm still checking the speeds and there still seems to be an issue. info i'm getting is contact tech support and chat with them but you need the telephone password first. also. when i click the secure link for verification it just says i shouldn't be seeing this and kicks me straight out

cheers

0 Likes

Message 22 of 58

hi debbie, just a couple of questions before i order the visit. first, i can't access the online form when i click the link you provided. it just tells me to contact the online community and try again. and second, can you confirm that i will not be charged an engineer visit because, as we have established, i cannot receive broadband via the master test socket using a micro filter.

thanks.

update:   just been doing some research regarding master sockets and realised i have an ssfp socket (service specific face plate). as you may know this socket has a main faceplate and another faceplate underneath. i needed to remove the 2 plates to fully access the test socket but i only removed the outer faceplate when using the micro filter. having removed the second faceplate i did indeed have a broadband connection. please forgive my mistake. so the test socket does work after all. we still need to work out why i have slow internet access and disconnections at times so an engineer visit may still be in order.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 58

Hi guitarman3

Ok, I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 24 of 58

hi debbie. i didn't have another filter but i did have a phone connector to dsl  cable so i used that in the test socket direct to the router and still no internet.  as i said i do get internet connection via the seperate dsl port but when using the test socket i get nothing. looks like there may be an issue with the mk2 box.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 58

Hi guitarman3

Do you have another microfilter just to rule out a fault with the one you tested with?

0 Likes

Message 26 of 58

hi debbie. just tested. removed faceplate and connected via filter to test socket and get no internet access at all. i do get internet access via broadband port. could there be a problem with the mk2 socket itself? i couldn't use the phone port in the filter as i don't have a phone at hand.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 58

Hi guitarman3

Would it be possible to remove the face plate and test directly at the test socket? (with a filter)

0 Likes

Message 28 of 58

i'm using the brand new tt router that you sent last week. with the cables supplied. i have an openreach mk2 socket which has 2 ports one for phone and one for broadband so i don't need the supplied filter.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 58

Hi guitarman3

If you have tested with a different router, cable and filter at the test socket then this should rule out your own equipment and internal wiring.

Further information can be found here Engineer charges

0 Likes

Message 30 of 58

my own equipment consists of one pc which is connected wired and a wireless laptop with firestick. i've replaced the  rj45 cable twice with the same outcome so it's not that. how much would i be charged for the engineer visit? i beleive if the engineer doesn't find a fault with the service i will be charged but because the speeds are intermitant he could come at a time when speeds are fine which would mean i would be charged . this means we still have an issue yet been charged for the visit is that correct?

0 Likes

Message 31 of 58

Hi guitarman3

Yes this would be a visit to the property.

If the fault is found to be with Openreach maintained equipment then no charges would be applied.

Charges should only be applied if the fault is found to be with your own equipment or internal wiring.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 32 of 58

hi debbie, thanks for getting back to me. i'm still getting disconnections and the speeds do drop quite a lot at times so we still have an issue. i think another engineer visit would be in order. because the fault is toward the property will there be a charge for this and would i need to be at home?

0 Likes

Message 33 of 58

Hi guitarman3

Sorry for the delay.

I've completed a line test and this has detected a potential fault towards the property and the line is in sync at 46mb.

Would you like me to arrange another engineer visit?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 34 of 58

hi karl. speeds are dropping again today. sam knows speed checker is giving me 35dl and 0.9 up.  even had lower than that. also getting disconnections again. i know router is in sync at 49 but to be honest when i first took this package i was consistantly getting speeds of close to 50dl and very often higher than that. it looks like the service has deteriorated over time.

0 Likes

Message 35 of 58

Hi

The estimated speed for your line is 44-49mb, so sync speeds should remain within this bracket. 

Turning off the router will have reset the session after the changes I made, so we can see how it goes over the next couple of days.

Currently the line is in sync at 49mb.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 58

hi karl. just ran the sam knows speed test. the results were absolutely dreadfull. download was 7.9Mbps, upload was 0.19 and latency was 37.6. i did the test 3 times and these were the best results of the three. web pages are taking a lot longer to open and the speed seem to have decreased since this afternoon. i can't understand it. any ideas?

update:  waited for a few hours and turned the router off again for 20 minutes. speeds have been better since. dl around 40Mbps and upload close to 10 Mbps. maybe DLM is settling in. still not at optimal levels as i really should be getting close to 50dl. we need to find out why there's a drop of almost 10Mbps. and who knows, speeds could drop again tomorrow, we'll see.

0 Likes

Message 37 of 58

Hi

Can you run a speed test wired at Sam Knows Speedtest  and tell me the result.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 38 of 58

hi michelle. yes. tested with the talk talk speed checker with no other apps opened. and only my pc connected wired to the router. also checked with other online speed checkers and they are giving the same or even lower readings. where do we go from here?

0 Likes

Message 39 of 58

Hello,

Thanks for trying this. Just to confirm, are you using the TalkTalk Speed Tester and were the last few speed tests all completed wired with no other applications running at the same time?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 40 of 58

just turned the router off for an hour in the hope of a reset. no change. did a speed check and it was dl 38.4  ul 0.9. repeated the test a few times and on a couple of occasions the speed checker couldn't even connect to the server. went into router settings and it looks like the sync speed is saying around 47dl but i don't get near that in reality.  

0 Likes