cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Turn off Wi-Fi optimisation

kirkyboy4
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 24

Hi, I have set the SSID channel manually for the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz channels. However, this randomly changes at random intervals throughout the day, when looking at the router logs I can see that ‘channel hopping’ has been initiated remotely some how which changes the channel, despite being manually being configured by me.

This causes connectivity issues and results in online gaming sessions disconnecting mid game etc.

I would be grateful for any help in resolving this.

K McClelland
0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi kirkyboy4

I'm really sorry about this.

I've contacted the team and asked them to contact you on the mobile number you have provided. I did provide this to the team when we last spoke but I'm just making sure they ring you on this number.

0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 2 of 24

To be honest I dont see what there is to discuss, other customers have asked to get Wifi Optimisation turned off and youve did it no issues, ive been jumping through hoops trying to get this sorted, my contract is up in September so ill be moving elsewhere most likely, I bought a TP-LINK RE605X and wired my device directly into it and ive not had any issues since so I think I'll just stick with this.

I dont see why the faults team are needing to discuss a fault with me when this isnt exactly a fault, the hub is working as expected, i.e channel hopping is supposed to happen, but this hub is dumb and picks the most congested channel so I just wanted the feature switched off so I can permanently set the channel myself.

If someone calls me on REMOVED then I will talk it through but I've not had any missed calls so far.

K McClelland
0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

Nope, no one has tried to contact me, can someone phone me on the number I provided the other day? They are probably trying to contact me on the mobile number thats on my account but its not working just now. 

K McClelland
0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Hi @kirkyboy4 

Our faults escalation team have advised that they have been trying to contact you to discuss this fault.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

Morning,

Can I just check, have you been contacted by our Faults Escalation Team since our last post?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hi kirkyboy4

I've just fed this back to the team now to look at.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

Thanks, it happened again today. There are almost 9 different hubs in my area all sitting on channel 36, I use a Wi-Fi analyzer app to detect which channels are the least congested, channels 149-161 are still within the 8 channel plan (36-48, 149-161) yet the hub always seems to channel hop back onto channel 36, the most congested channel of them all. Makes no sense. if someone can update me here once Wifi optimization is turned off that would be ideal. Thanks.

1000064457.jpg

K McClelland
0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

Hi kirkyboy4

I have passed your contact number to our faults escalation team.

Thanks

0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 9 of 24

Thanks get them to call me if they need to onREMOVED as my usual number is unavailable temporarily, or if they can just turn that off then someone update me here ta

K McClelland
0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

Hi kirkyboy4

We can no longer switch this off. Our faults escalation team will contact you to discuss this further.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

1000064452.jpg

why escalated if you can turn this off? Did so in Jan. Thanks. Is there an actual tech support team I can phone, going back and forward on community forums is madness.

K McClelland
0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

Hi kirkyboy4

Thanks for your reply.

I've asked our faults escalation team to take a look at this. The team may contact you directly to discuss this further.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Yes, if I was to set my hub to channel 100 or 104 before I went to bed by the time I woke up the channel will have changed back to 36/40/44/48.

I googled that and someone on Reddit had advised that this is something called Wi-Fi optimisation built into TalkTalk hubs, so I want that switched off so that stops happening?

K McClelland
0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

Hi kirkyboy4

Thanks for your reply.

Your router has the latest firmware version.

Just to confirm, the issue is when you change your wireless channels to your preferred channels, it then changes back again?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Hello after restarting my router I am still seeing through the night in the logs "channel hopping was initiated automatically/manually", its not been as bad recently but still happening by itself, can someone also check my Router settings to make sure I've got things configured correctly and that I am running the most recent firmware/software for the hub? Ill paste some device info below.

Hardware Version: FAST5464 2.00

Software Version: SG4K100174

GUI Version: 5.100.1

System Up Time: 6d 00h25m20s

For the hub DNS, should I have the Static DNS Server Configuration filled in with TalkTalk primary & secondary DNS values or should I leave that blank to use the default settings, then within Internet Connectivity under "DNS IPV4" i have it set to obtain DNS automatically and its pre filled talktalk dns, is this the best way to have this configured?

K McClelland
0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Hi @kirkyboy4 

If you do experience any further issues then please post back on this thread and let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Morning,

@kirkyboy4  How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi kirkyboy4

Our Devices Team have asked if you can reboot the router and retest to see if you are still having issues with the wireless channels?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

Hi kirkyboy4

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

Our Devices Team are just taking a look at this now and I will post back as soon as I have further information.

Debbie

0 Likes