cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Will Youview+ box work after leaving TalkTalk TV?

5 REPLIES 5
Rolly2
Visitor

I’ve had a TalkTalk YouView+ box for many years but am questioning whether it’s worth it for me, now there’s an additional £4 monthly charge. I only watch Freeview channels and am not interested in buying extra content.

I remember from when I signed up that after a certain period (which I’ve exceeded considerably), the box became mine to keep.

I rang TalkTalk yesterday, who confirmed that I could keep the box but also said that it would no longer work.

A bit of research suggests this may not be correct, so can a TalkTalk user confirm this?

In particular, if I stop paying the extra £4 each month but leave the box connected will I be able to:
1. Play back the Freeview programmes I have already recorded?
2. Pause live Freeview programmes?
3. Record new Freeview programmes?
4. Watch catch up TV from the last 7 days? I have just bought a smart TV which should allow me to do this, but have not yet tried as I’ve just continued to use the YouView box so far.

Many thanks for any replies

John_G
Wizz Kid
Yes in all cases.

Sorry to hear you were lead to believe the box would no longer work.
Rolly2
Visitor

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't 100% convinced by what I was told as you can obviously buy a standalone YouView box but I'd just wondered if the TalkTalk ones had been somehow configured to only work with the subscription service.

If I move to another ISP in the future, would the box still work the same as it would being connected via TalkTalk but not subscribed to the TalkTalk TV?

Community Team

Hi

The box would work with another provider, but would only receive subscription based channels if that provider supplied youview content.   All the usual freeview and on demand services such as BBC Iplayer , ITV player etc would continue to work.

Thanks

Karl. 

Rolly2
Visitor

Thanks both - just what I needed to know.

Community Team