cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Download speed reducing over the years - Slow & Sluggish

Spiug
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 47 of 47

Hi there,

Not sure if I am in the right place but I am in need of some advice / assistance,

I've been with talktalk for as long as I can remember, and up until recently have had no problems.

I renewed my contract again for this year and was told my speeds would not suffer nor change.

I was told on the chat by the agent that my speeds would remain around 35 mb/s.

I am now pushing around 25 mb/s at the best of times, and have to reset my internet often due to slow and sluggish speeds. I am unsure if my router is in need of replacement, as it definitely does not reach as far as it did a year ago.

I am sick of sitting on the talktalk livechat for hours on end and getting no where.

They are now claiming 24 is guaranteed speed, when I was told 28 on renewal.

Anyone have any advice as to what I can do?

I received 35mbs+ in years prior and now i'm losing out on 10mbs which is a lot when it is already so small. I've done all the troubleshooting steps with the reps numerous times but nothing has ever changed.

0 Likes
46 REPLIES 46

Message 1 of 47
0 Likes

Message 2 of 47

@Chris-TalkTalk 

Not yet Chris, just whenever suits - I will need to get back in contact with you to set a date

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 47

Hi Spiug,

Apologies, I'd forgotten we'd spoken about this. Have you been given a date for the cabling?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 47

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

Is there any way you can check my account to see if the job is still open? Or what the notes say in regards to the last visit? As he was pretty certain he could see drops in my connection , and he wanted to replace the cabling , however I couldn’t move the floorboards at that date, we have a pipe already under the driveway for this so it’s not too big a job.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 47

Morning,

Ok, would you like to go ahead with an engineer visit to the property? Just to advise, we can't specifically request that the engineer replaces the line as this would be determined and requested by the engineer as part of the fault investigation if they believe this is required to resolve a specific fault.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 47

@Chris-TalkTalk no I had the engineer out about a month ago and remember I was about to be charged because the engineer put no access to change the line as I had to move floorboards? I’m sure we spoke in direct messages about this - the engineer noted clear drops in connection coming into my house 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 47

Is the new line being provided by a different ISP?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 47

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk I’m still due to put my new line in - should we arrange this for the same time? I just fear that it’s the cabinet and my line doesn’t fix it , all my neighbours suffer slower speeds now as mentioned,

cheers

0 Likes

Message 9 of 47

OK thanks. As the speed is so low we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 47

@Chris-TalkTalk 

that is correct Chris 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 47

Thanks, and so your phone and router connect via a micro-filter and this is the only socket in your home?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 47

Non NTE

@Chris-TalkTalk 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 47

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk ,

It’s currently connected to my only socket - no crackling on the line or anything , everything seems to be all clear!

Just the speeds into my property have reduced significantly 

cheers 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 47

Hi Spiug,

Is your router currently connected to your test socket? Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 47

@Michelle-TalkTalk 

Hi yes he said there were clear drops in the line and we’ve to replace it when we have the opportunity , need to lift some floorboards and things -

it’s just I can clearly see the speeds been reduced over the last 2 years , and I was told on renewal although my estimates were lower my speeds would not drop to this.

35 to 25 is a big difference when speeds are already so low 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 47

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. I'd usually recommend an engineer visit if all testing has been completed, however if the speed is within the predicted speed range then the engineer may not be able to increase this any further. Just to confirm, did the engineer mean setting up a different/separate line?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 47

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk yes I have - BT suggested a new cable into the house which we will do, but I can see my whole cabinet is suffering from this speed drop as per neighbour complaints and speed tests - I understand I’m above the minimum of 24.8 however only just, and when I run speed tests I’m getting 22, I genuinely think it’s cabinet related , as it seems like some form of cap is being placed!

I genuinely did used to get 35mbs , and I have screenshots of the tests from years back , then it went to 32, then 27 and now 25

0 Likes

Message 19 of 47

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. The line test is clear. Can I just confirm, have you recently tested with 2 different routers directly at the test socket for at least 48hrs?

Thanks

0 Likes

Spiug
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 20 of 47

@Chris-TalkTalk 

@Debbie-TalkTalk 

@Michelle-TalkTalk 

Sorry for the lack of activity - have been out of the country for work purposes.

Just got back home today, logged into my router settings and I can now see 25 mbs, it was 27 before I left and even this has reduced from what it used to be.

Am I being throttled? Its now 25 mbs on the dot, to me that seems like a clear cap.

I'm due a new line in per BT visit , which I am going to do, and my contract here expires in November, if I can't get this sorted out I will be leaving , i'm sick of spending hours on the livechat or on the phone and nothing ever comes back positive.

Sorry to be a moan , but this is annoying now!

35 to 27 to 25, this isn't a line problem in my eyes!

0 Likes