Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed tests fine - Slow connection

13 REPLIES 13
BoonMonkey
Popular Poster

I've spoken to TalkTalk customer service multiple times (Been on the phone at least 4 hours in total, if not more) regarding this issue to no avail. 

We have, since having the service installed in July 2018, been experiencing issues whereby the connection is abysmally slow. Speed tests show that the connection is okay, however the user experience is far from that.

Countless times I have been trying to pay for something online only to find that the page continues to load indefinitely and have to refresh multiple times to even try and make it do anything. Today, this has wound me up further due to the fact that I was trying to redeem a £500 gift card when this happened, causing the giftcard balance to now show as £0 even though the order was not complete, delaying me being able to make my purchase until the balance is refunded.

This is happening on ALL devices, wired and wireless.

I have purchased a replacement router due to not once being asked if I wanted to try a replacement router by the TalkTalk customer service team on the phone (Despite asking for this), and the service initially appeared to improve, however after about 3 days it was back to the same awful experience.

We are connected to the master socket.

I have tried swapping the WiFi channel, which again, made no difference.

I have tried setting the DNS to CloudFlare (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1) and also Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).

Have there been any cases where this has actually been solved WITHOUT the customer having to cancel their service and switch provider? Because this is an absolute joke at this point. See other threads below:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Very-slow-internet-with-fast-speed-test/td-p/226... - Cancelled

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Really-slow-resolving-web-sites-Intermittent-per... - No further updates

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Speed-test-shows-good-speed-but-web-pages-slow-t... - Waiting til end of contract before switching ISP

Speedtest.PNG

Community Team

Hi BoonMonkey,

I'm sorry for the delay and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats look ok. Just to confirm which router is connected at the moment? Is the voice service also ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

BoonMonkey
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

Currently, my replacement router is connected. I can connect up the initial TalkTalk router if needs be.

As for the voice service, I can't say. We don't have a home phone as neither of us require a home phone for any reason.

Thank you.

Community Team

Hi BoonMonkey,

Ok thanks for confirming this. Would it be possible to borrow a phone for testing purposes to rule out any issues with the voice service? Could you run a wired ping and trace route the next time you experience the slow web pages and post the results into the thread.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

BoonMonkey
Popular Poster

It's permanently occurring and ping tests always show low latency. I can pop the results in the thread later tonight when I'm back home.

As for borrowing a phone... not sure. I can try and borrow one from someone. 

Community Team

Hi BoonMonkey,

Ok thanks. Once we have the pings and traces then we can ask our Network Team to take a look. If possible it would be worth checking if the voice service is ok as a voice fault can affect the broadband connection.

Thanks

BoonMonkey
Popular Poster

Unable to borrow a phone from anyone, don't really want to purchase one as we have no need for it. Any other suggestions what to do for that?

As for ping results:

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=119

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 12ms

and tracert:

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ARCHER_VR900 [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms host-78-151-229-241.as13285.net [78.151.229.241]
4 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms host-78-151-229-240.as13285.net [78.151.229.240]
5 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms host-78-144-11-39.as13285.net [78.144.11.39]
6 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms host-78-144-4-35.as13285.net [78.144.4.35]
7 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 108.170.246.161
8 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 72.14.234.155
9 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

Community Team

Hi BoonMonkey,

Do you also experience the poor performance on devices connected by Ethernet cable to your router?

Chris

BoonMonkey
Popular Poster

Hey Chris,

Yup.

The master socket is in an awkward location compared to the PCs so we tend to run wirelessly for the majority of the time. I've had my desktop connected via Ethernet for testing and the issues still remain. 

The ping test and tracert from my previous post were done via Ethernet. 

Community Team

Would you like me to send another TalkTalk router to test with? I think it's worth a try.

Chris

BoonMonkey
Popular Poster

You can send one and I can try it, but I really don't expect it will make much difference at this point. 

I've used the default TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub that came with the package, problem existed.

I borrowed a router, no change.

I bought a new router (The TP Link Archer VR900 you see connected at the moment), no change.

I can try it, but I feel it's just delaying the inevitable "No change" yet again. 

Community Team

I've ordered a router, should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

I think it's worth trying the router as I can't see any obvious reason for the poor performance so I think it's best to make sure it definitely isn't a router issue before arranging an engineer visit

Chris

BoonMonkey
Popular Poster

Hey Chris,

The router has arrived today and it's all connected up.

I'll do some testing and let you know the results asap. 

Community Team

Hi BoonMonkey,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares 🙂

Thanks