FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Voice Trial

rowbarrow01
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 7

I'm on Fibre 35. I have a Talk Talk set top box that allows me to record freeview programmes. My TV is not a smart TV and the box also allows me to get iPlayer etc. I don't have any TV Boosts.

I volunteered for the Digital Voice trial but when I received a call to process my acceptance the lady told me that I would have to lose my ability to record programmes, because of incompatibility of the set top box. This shocked me and she said she would give me time to consider and agreed to ring back at the same time the following day, but didn't.

For the future I need to know:

1. Am I on or off the trial?

2. Is the set top box incompatible with going fully fibre or is it incompatible with eero?

3. The eero gateway only has 2 ethernet ports, one to connect to the modem and presumably the Digital Voice Adapter would go into the other one; so where would I connect the ethernet cable for any set top box? 

Would someone please explain the incompatibility issues to me as otherwise I don't know the way to ever get onto full fibre with anyone without losing the recording facility.

Thanks

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Thanks everybody!

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 7

Outside of TV Boosts the box will continue to work exactly as before. If you want to connect it, or anything else by ethernet to the eero then a simple and cheap ethernet switch can be plugged in which will give you additional ports. 

Message 3 of 7

A YouView TV box would still be able to view, pause and rewind Freeview off-air programmes. For full functionality it does require a broadband connection. The current YouView TV box supplied by TalkTalk does not have a Wi-Fi capability. You'd need a Wi-Fi adaptor or to expand the eero6 Ethernet ports using a Networking Switch or conventional router having Ethernet ports.  If the router has Wi-Fi then switch that off to avoid clashes with the eero6 Wi-Fi.

Yes, the eero6 only has one free Ethernet port because the other is connected to the fibre Optical Network Terminal (ONT) installed by Openreach.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 7

Thanks Gondola, very helpful. Before I contact the trials team could you just reassure me on two things, please?

Would I still be able to pause, rewind live TV for off-air freeview programmes?

My set top box does not have wifi as far as I know, so how would I connect it during the trial, given that eero has only two ethernet ports?

Thanking you again in anticipation

Sorry, not used to this process!

0 Likes

rowbarrow01
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 7

Thanks Gondola, very helpful. Before I contact the trials team could you just reassure me on two things, please?

Would I still be able to pause, rewind live TV for off-air freeview programmes?

My set top box does not have wifi as far as I know, so how would I connect it during the trial, given that eero has only two ethernet ports?

Thanking you again in anticipation

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi rowbarrow01 

The current TalkTalk TV Box DN372t is not officially supported for Full fibre (Future Fibre) customers. It's not entirely incompatible as it'll still record off-air Freeview programmes and get normal broadband connectivity for TV streaming players.

But the official position is that Voice Services and TV Services are not currently supported on Future Fibre for new customers.

That's why there are trials and specifically a VOIP trial prior to the introduction of Voice Services via the broadband router.

To contact the Trials Team use the methods provided to you including email to TalkTalkTrials@talktalkplc.com using your Trials Reference Number / VOIP trial in the Subject heading

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution