FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster fibre and speed boost

bondi699
Team Player
Message 28 of 28

What does fibre speed boost offer extra if you have faster fibre. The agent that sold me my new contract said that the boost should increase my speed to around 76mbps. Does this sound accurate. With out the boost I’m getting 32 to 35mbps on faster fibre. The boost and promised speed increases was the thing that made me decide to renew the contract. I was otherwise on my way to sky.

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 28

Hi bondi699,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks very consistent. Is it still the wireless speed which is dropping, is the wired speed ok?

Have you tried separating the SSID's and also tried a few different wireless channels?

In regards to the billing query, please can you create a new topic in the My Account and Billing Section of the  Community and our Billing Expert OCE_Arne will be able to look into this for you.

Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

Change your wireless channel

Thanks

Message 2 of 28

To make things even worse, I’ve just relieved my latest bill. Which is £10 above my previous bill . My take on the new contract that I agreed to was I would get faster broadband , which I’m would expect to be faster than the standard broadband and this to be stable everyday not just occasionally. I also agreed to the unlimited calls boost which was discounted to £6.00. My calculations make this a total of £22.95 + £6.00

to be £28.95 

could someone please advice why my latest bill is £38.50

I’m not receiving to projected speed and should be due to a refund never mind an unexplained increase. I believe I’m still within my cooling off period, so please accept this as my intention to cancel this agreement unless this can be sorted out

0 Likes

Message 3 of 28

Unfortunately the increase has not lasted. Latest speed test gives 35mbps down and 15 Up. Also internet connection is lost intermittently and I need to keep restarting the router. Talktalk is this due to you throttling back the connection, Might be time for Talktalk to arrange for an openreach visit. All I want is what I’m paying for is that too much to ask?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 28

Hi,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

Message 5 of 28

The router has arrived and instant improvement. Now at 65mbps to 70 wireless

Message 6 of 28

Hi bondi699

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 7 of 28

Swapped router for sky hub, now receiving 70 to 73 mbps. So Talktalk router is the problem. Any chance now of a new router

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

This morning running at 38mbps 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 28

Both tests run wired as was requested. Speed varies any time of day. 

We all agree that the speed is not as expected or stable. When will someone from talktalk take ownership of this problem and take steps to get it resolved. May be an email to Tristia Harrison might get things moving.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

Hi bondi699

Thanks for running the speed tests, I would expect to see faster throughput speeds based upon your sync speed - 76.5mb

Were these wired speed tests? Do you get the same results at any time of the day?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 11 of 28
Just run two tests first 49.2 second 54
0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

Message 13 of 28
I will do when I get home.
0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

Hi bondi699,

Could you run a couple of speed tests on the My Account speed checker on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable, could you switch off any other devices that connect to the internet via the router, to stop them affecting the speed test results

Thanks

Chris

Message 15 of 28

Wireless test run tonight 50mbps. Oh, and the call back from tech support manager never happened maybe I expect too much. 

Is there anyone out there from Talktalk that would like to comment or even possibly help.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 28

Just run four speed tests two wired 55.6mbps download 18.6mbps up then 67.9 and 18.6

wireless 54.7 and 17.2 up And wireless again 70 and 17. 
so why the massive difference 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 28

Hi bondi699,

I'm not suggesting you should connect all your devices to the router by Ethernet cable, if you could just test with one that would be good, so that we can see if it's just a wifi issue 

Chris

Message 18 of 28

I've run tests on both, wifi is the worst, even when stood next to the router it varies between 17 and 56mbps. That's why I believe the router is at fault. There are lots of forums that mention this routers unstable wifi performance. I understand that the best results are when connected by ethernet, however there are only four ports on the rear of this router how am I supposed to connect every device I have by ethernet.

If as you say the router is receiving 76.5 mbps then surely it should be putting out  something similar on wireless. It is a wireless router is it not.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 28

Hi bondi699,

Sync speed is currently 76.5Mbps, are you running the speed tests on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

Message 20 of 28
Ok, well if support can organise you a replacement router next week then maybe that will help, but as you have seen the same issue with two routers already it may not be a router problem.

When the staff here are able to pick this post up early next week they will be able to look into this further, it may be that they need to reset/resync your connection to clear this issue and get your speed up to what it should be.