cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

"We've run into a problem"

hawaye
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 34

I need your help again, please.

I'd like to be able to check speeds on both lines registered to this account.  While I can, usually, on my Windows 10 laptop, unfortunately I can't on my mobile.  The message saying that the process sould take no longer than 2 minutes appears for a while, then I see "We've run into a problem". This happens on both numbers. Version 8.5.0 running in Chrome on Android 14.

Also, the guaranteed speeds are different, 43 Mbps at one address and 50 Mbps at the other. The addresses are in houses next to one another.

hawaye Mornington Crecent County Champion 1975, 1976, 1978
0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 1 of 34

OK, thanks for the information

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 34

It seemed to work OK for years, except it couldn't seem to tell that different routers were connected to the 2 numbers on my account.

The, in late Summer '23, there was an Internet outage in the North, and I've never been able to use speed test reliably since. This may have been a coincidence, but I doubt it. The start of problems are partially documented in this thread; 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Recent-broadband-outage-caused-problem-in-My-Account-n...

0 Likes

Message 3 of 34

Hi hawaye,

Could I just ask, has this worked OK in the past and if so do you know roughly when you started having problems?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 34
0 Likes

Message 5 of 34

Many thanks , Chris 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 34

OK thanks. I'll see if there's anything we can do about My Connection. I'll pass it over to the relevant team. I'll let you know when I receive an update

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 34

There are no problems on the first number and (after visiting the second number, in the rain) the second number seems OK.

But the My Connection speed check still says WE'VE RUN INTO A PROBLEM on phone and laptop, and the usage graph appears to be identical for both numbers, which can't be right.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 34

Hi hawaye,

Just to confirm, you're not experiencing any problems with your service at the moment on either number?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 34

Yes  I need help with this please. Sorry for the long post but here goes ...

My copper phone line goes through a big tree on public land. For the last 30 years, every couple of years the line rubs through or snaps.

At age 71 with heart problems, living in a mobile phone signal black spot, this is no longer acceptable to me. Talktalk have previously refused to do anything about rerouting the line to give some reliability.

On 13/03/24 I contacted the 'leaving Talktalk' call centre. After 90 mins, the operative agreed to send an engineer to move the line. The engineer arrived as expected on 14/03/24 and I explained the problem. Amazingly, he had not been briefed, and he said he was from TalkTalk and couldn't move the line; I would need an Openreach engineer; his boss would arrange that. Distressingly, yesterday I got a WhatsApp message to say I had missed the engineer and would be charged for a missed appointment.  This is completely incorrect and false. The engineer's name is Dean and we definitely had a conversation about the line and the tree. Any charge to my account needs stopping or crediting and an engineer equipped to move the line needs to make an appointment with me. Thank you for reading about this. I am prepared to contribute to the line move but I will not be charged for an incorrect missed appointment. Any charge will be in contravention of the Direct Debit Guarantee.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 34

OK. Have you recently had an engineer visit, there appears to be an open fault ticket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 34

Bearing in mind that where we live is full of Openreach, Swish and National Broadband vans doing work on the overhead wires and exchange cabinets. So random disconnections have been frequent. If guests on the second number lose their Internet, the Talktalk speed check and line check routines are where I used to go first because, even with my elementary knowledge, I'm first-line support.

I still have the issues that the router will be unplugged to charge phones and the router will be hard reset to "speed things up", even when the copper phone line is lying on the road, broken.

This is why remote access has been so useful.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 34

Apologies, I'm just trying to understand exactly what the issue is. So you can run the speed test, you just can't see the speed test history for the second number?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 34

Thanks for your help Chris but I'm no closer to seeing the speed at the second number either at home or remotely, which stopped working in July '23. 

If I could log onto the remote number's network, I could see the speed there but I don't know if that's possible.

I mentioned needing to see the second number's speed in post 21 on Monday.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 34

OK thanks, so it allows you to record the speed test OK?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 34

1000001456.jpg

0 Likes

Message 16 of 34

Thanks. What happens when you enter the telephone number?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 34

1000001455.jpg

0 Likes

Message 18 of 34

Thanks. You should be able to attach a jpeg, are you using the camera icon?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 34

Hi Chris. When using your link I get a "speedometer" reading of download speed, then upload speed. Then it finishes by asking for the landline number. I'd attach a screenshot but .jpg isn't an accepted format here.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 34

Thanks. I can see from your earlier post that you've tried this link  - Internet Speed Test (supportal-test.co.uk) - could you just let me know exactly what happens when you use the link

Chris

0 Likes