would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

That £4 charge for Talktalk TV

ANSWERED
32 REPLIES 32
brownhirondelle
Team Player

I have read some of the threads to do with this £4 charge and I am none the wiser. I have also emailed Talk Talk direct.

I have a Talk Talk box in order to view 80 or so waht I thought were free to view channels. I also access I Player, On Demand and the like. Netflix is accessed using our daughter's account as guests. I am not interested in multi screesn or renting films so what am I paying for. On another thread it says I might be paying for the box should it break down.

I have been with Talk Talk for a number of years and getting a bit miffed with what I see as a way of increasing charges/revenue via the back door with no apparent reason and with no improvement in service.

As someone said in one thread this latest charge seems to be abot of a 'shambles'.

KeithFrench
Community Star

This charge is only applicable if you use (or have the ability to use) the TV Boosts, hence why it is applied by default. However, if all you do is record Freeview, watch catchup or rent films you can opt out of this £4 charge. If you do want to opt out, let me know & I will pass it over to the OCEs, who can arrange this for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

brownhirondelle
Team Player

Thank you for your reply Keith

I do have the ability to use TV Boosts but choose not to.  I cannot record as I only have a basic box. I choose not to rent films. So all I do is watch tv, freeview et al and use catch up via the various players

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and they will arrange to remove the charge for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi brownhirondelle

The Access Fee encompasses all of TalkTalk TV Services.  I do appreciate that all customers receive the freeview channels one way or another as these are over the air, but having the TV box does then provide the ability to record these, in addition to pause and rewind live TV. 

Besides the set top box, the fee also encompasses other aspects of the service such as the ability to add and remove TV boosts with no lengthy contracts, just a 1 month commitment. Access to the TalkTalk TV player where we have some great content, and on the go access via the website and our Mobile App.  TalkTalk have invested significantly in our TV product over the past year, and continue to do so.  Our TV Teams are always working to secure more services, negotiate more great content for our customers, whilst at the same time ensuring we remain excellent value. 

I can also appreciate that some of our customers may be unhappy with the TV Access Fee, and I've never seen anyone say they are happy with any Fee or billing change, but in an ever changing and expanding marketplace we must strive to provide the best service, with the best selection of services possible to our customers, so they have a great selection of choice at great value. Sometimes these things are necessary.

If you do decide that you do not want to access any of the great TalkTalk TV services we have to offer, please let me know so that I can action this for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

brownhirondelle
Team Player

Thank you for yur comprehensive and obfuscating reply. I see the charge is now called an Access Fee, which I will have to pay (through gritted teeth) while I seek an alternative supplier. Customer care from Talk Talk at its finest.

I did receive a call from a Talk Talk agent this afternoon, who may have been offering to waive the charge and send me a box of chocolates, but I really struggled to understand what she was saying. This is the reason why I always write to Talk Talk because I can never grasp what its agents are saying to me over the 'phone. The agent did apologise for the inconvenience caused on at least two occasions but I feel that is a pretty pointless sentiment.

ivor-honda
Chatterbox

I too feel the same as brownhirondelle.

As i have just renewed my broadband package I am miffed (to say the least) at this extra charge for something I will not use.

I do wish i had changed to Plusnet!

Community Team

Hi

You do not have to pay the TV Access Fee, if you do not specifically use any of the TalkTalk TV services or boosts you can request this fee is not applied.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
ivor-honda
Chatterbox

As KeithFrench mentioned, I have updated my community profile with all the relevant information so hopefully this (extra) charge will not take place.

Community Team

Hi ivor-honda

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

ivor-honda
Chatterbox

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the advice.

I am new to the forum (although I have been with TalkTalk for many, many years) and I have never really needed to use the forum until now and I appreciate the advice regarding the use of a single thread as well.

I have also now updated my information in my Community Profile.

Thanks

Colin (or ivor-honda)

rightfoot_shifter
Participant

Can you get them to remove the charge for me too? I've had a letter through the post informing of the charge, yet I don't have any TV boosts!!

rightfoot_shifter
Participant

Hi Karl

Please action for me too.

fr8ys
Community Star

@rightfoot_shifter, as Karl has requested others in this thread, please start your own so it can be actioned. Thank you.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
wendy p
First Timer

I rang talk talk this morning and said I wanted to opt out of the £4 charge and I was told they would take it off my bill I also pay for t.v. select boost £7 per month I was then told if I did not pay the £4 they would stop my boost I said that was blackmail but that I thought the £7 was too much for what I used so told them that was fine I would be £7 better off and they would be £7 worse off does that make sense ?? so will wait and see what happens with my bill it is almost impossible to get any sense out of talk talk I hate having to get in touch with them and will be looking at other providers when my so called fixed price contract is finished.

ivor-honda
Chatterbox

Hi wendy p,

I agree with you, in that in my old contract I was able to get a “free” sim which I now have to pay for and Talktalk are now trying to force me to use an O2 sim and pay even more than I do now.

Then there was the free Internet security that is now being charged for. Not to mention their (Talktalk) database being hacked so I am now inundated with fake telephone calls from scammers.

Although the broadband price hasn’t gone up I am now paying more for the same service I had before.

Community Team

Hi wendy p

Please can you create a new thread, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

DavMuss
Chatterbox

Good morning,

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

I too would like to opt out of the TalkTalk TV "Access Fee" as I don't use any of the Boosts or TV services.

Would you be able to ask one of the OCEs to also look at my account and arrange to remove the £4 surcharge please.

Many Thanks.

Dave M.

Community Team

Hi DavMuss

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

purpple
Popular Poster

I opted out twice with 2 seperate TT staff, I have still been charged extra despite being told I would not be