cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Guaranteed minimum 280Mbps, receiving 200

Daviddunne1
Team Player
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

I've come back here as a last resort really.

Since I upgraded from fibre 150 to fibre 250 on 1st February, the speeds have been nowhere near the guaranteed minimum. Monday, an engineer visited and 10 minutes before he arrived, the speed shot up to between 250-270. Stayed that way for 2 hours after he left. Since then it's been hovering between 187-202Mbps. I've been on chat with the tech team trying to sort this out and they're about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. Conflicting answers, scripted responses, but no solution except to wait until after I have no cancellation options.

The confirmation email I received when I upgraded said:

You can look forward to an estimated download speed between 300.0Mbps and 330.0Mbps with a minimum guaranteed speed of 280.0Mbps

Any help would be apreciated

David Dunne
0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Daviddunne1
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 11

Yes, all seems sorted out now, thanks for the response.

David Dunne
0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi Daviddunne1

I'm showing the current package you are on is Fibre 150 and the sync speed is showing correct for the service.

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 11

I must apologise for getting confused over this. Fibre 250 is not Future Fibre but GFast. I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick up your thread on here as they deal with GFast  and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday), but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk have responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Daviddunne1
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 11

Ok, cheers, bud

David Dunne
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 11

Well, this must be the only service that offers a higher speed than the package name. I assume this is classed as Future Fibre in which case, all support for Future fibre is done via:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/FutureFibre/bd-p/FutureFibre

The normal TalkTalk support for the Community (old OCEs) have no access to Future Fibre. However, they are getting trained up on this, so it looks like they will have access soon.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Daviddunne1
Team Player
Private Message
Message 7 of 11

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+speed+is+talktalk+fibre+250&oq=what+speed+is+talktalk+fibre+250...

It averages 290Mbps overall. My measured speed from talktalk themselves was 281Mbps on Monday.

I only had that speed for 2 hours, that's my minimum guaranteed speed

David Dunne
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 11

Sorry, but that is impossible, you cannot have a guaranteed minimum in excess of the package maximum speed, it will always be less.

The guaranteed minimum refers to the speed coming into the property, not speed tests as things such as wireless connections are not covered by this. This will be the speed coming out of the ONT modem. The best way to check this is to remove the router's Ethernet connection at the ONT & replace it with a wired device & do a speed test from there. Any variations inside your property cannot be guaranteed (especially if done over a wireless connection) unless caused by a fault in the router.

Keith

0 Likes

Daviddunne1
Team Player
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

The package is fibre 250. minimum guaranteed speed is 280Mbps.

I've been testing on different sites. Speed test.net mostly. They all have similar results. Talktalk's own test seems to be topping out at 206Mbps from their side

David Dunne
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

You can have a guaranteed minimum speed of 280M on Fibre 250, please can you confirm the actual package & guaranteed minimum speed you have?

How are you checking this speed, via speed test site or by logging onto the router & checking it in there?

Keith

0 Likes