would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Talktalk blocking VPN service

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
moneyback
Chatterbox

Talktalk blocks my vpn service, which I need it as my company does a lot of work based in china.

I need this fixed or I shall have to end my contract early. I have seen many other examples of this on the forum, but annoyingly and rather shadily, every time it gets sorted privately, and they never talk about solutions openly on the forum.

So, I have been forced to open my own issue about it here, hopefully this time around they might be able to provide an answer to others who have a similiar issue.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

This is not an issue we try to hide, this is a well documented issue across the Community.

TalkTalk do not block VPN services, in fact we have a lot of people who work strategically and use VPN all the time,  I'm currently typing this from Home using a VPN connection.

We do have a recognised issue affecting the Dlink 3782 router and this currently does not work correctly with some VPN services.  This is a firmware issue and a newer firmware is in production that should resolve this.  Until this is deployed, we will actively replace the router with a different model that is fully tested with many VPN protocols and services.

If you can add your home number to your Community Profile I'll look into this for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

Highlighted
moneyback
Chatterbox

Hi Karl.

I have added my home phone number to my profile, I hope this is correct and that we can continue moving toward a resolution.

Cheers.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

A Huawei model router is now on the way to you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
moneyback
Chatterbox

Karl, I can't believe that by the next day a new router was delivered to my door. That is some surprisingly good service.

Unfortunately, I was not in to recieve the package! I recieved a text message about it being delivered during my work hours but I was not in. Any idea where it is?

It would be ideal if you could give me more notice next time as I can work from home, though thanks for the prompt service!

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi moneyback

Did you receive a card through the door with details on how to collect the router?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
moneyback
Chatterbox

So, after being pleasantly surprised at the speed at which a replacement router was sent, I am having exactly the same issues with this router.

As I have mentioned, the company I work for does the majority of it's work in china and I need access to VPN services.

It is not that regular that I need to do this, but it is imperative that when I need to, I can.

I am STILL unable to use a VPN service. I mean is it even legal to block VPN services?

The replacement routerr you have sent me has exactly the same issues as the previous one. Clearly this is not a router problem but something wrong with the service you provide. I have just agreed to increasing the amount I pay monthly to recieve fibre broadband. If I cannot do my job however, I will need to cancel this and move to a more professional ISP that can provide me with a decent service.

Really dissapointing, embarassing for me to not be able to do my job properly when people rely on me. I've seen other people complaining about exactly the same thing. Please rectify or reimburse.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi moneyback

Just to confirm, which router did you receive? (make and model)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
moneyback
Chatterbox

On  the back it says:
Super Router
HG635
HUAWEI technologies.

It is still blocking VPN usage.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi moneyback

Thanks for your reply.

This router should work ok with VPN clients. Have you contacted your IT department again to check everything has been set up correctly?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
JoG123
Popular Poster

Hi Moneyback, 

Did you ever resolve this issue?

I am having to cancel my contract with talktalk due to this error. I also got sent a new router and no luck! 

Please let me know if you found a way around this, as I have 2 weeks until my Netplus is installed and could really use connecting to work (and not having to use my neighbours!!!)

Thanks

Highlighted
imamraza
First Timer

I am unable to block VPN applications/ networks on my talktalk router. I need urgent support, becuse some of the users are using VPN which is against our home policy. Please guide How I can block VPN? do I need to change service provider ?

imamraza
Highlighted
imamraza
First Timer

How I can block VPN on my talktalk router? Please guide. do I need to change my service provider?

imamraza
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi imamraza,

If you need assistance can you please start your own thread and can you complete your Community Profile

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
rogalsiu
First Timer

If you have a "home policy" (btw even me, as a geek and security manic, never implemented any official policy at my home) you should know what to do. I'm trying to imagine myself implementing "home policy" for, i.e., cooking only Vietnamese food ...but I CAN'T  cook! LOL

...but to the point. You can use a specialized DNS server or/and block related IPs/protocols/ports. Or, as it's within your home, block VPN on your family members devices (i.e. use Local Security Policy on Windows OS). Many guidelines on the internet. Google's your friend! If you struggle, better seek for a professional help.

Regards, Marcin
Highlighted
Suels
Popular Poster

Hi Karl This is very interesting as I've been raising the VPN issue repeatedly with talk talk for over a year. As you say I needed a new router and was sent one  that didn't accept VPN I only became aware of the issue not through talk talk but through my IT department who said colleagues were having problems with talk talk and they had contacted talk talk to find out what the issue was . When I tried to talk to talk talk about this no seemed to understand the issue this seems so very odd in a market leading telecommunication community that a router should have specified that doesn't accept VPN given the nature and way people work now a days having an impact on many but a possible greater impact on those that need to work remotely for a variety of reasons including those with disabilities. I asked if this was a supply chain issue have been repeatedly told no and told talk talk have decided not to support VPN. I've just come off the phone on what seems like my 20th conversation about the issue and been told talk talk will not support VPN but the online community will tell me how to override the issue this seems conflicting. Today I've been told talk talk can't help that my IT department have to sort it out this doesn't make sense. 

Suesl
Highlighted
Suels
Popular Poster

@OCE_Karl 

Hi Karl thank you for your message which is very interesting. I have been trying to deal with this issue with talktalk  for over a year. I was once again told today following a 2 hŕ  phone call that talk talk do not support VPN and have blocked this and do not want to support it. 

A needed a new router over a year ago and was sent one that did not accept VPN. After numerous phone calls asking about what was happening when I tried to connect and talk talk team not at all understanding the VPN issue I found out through my work IT section that talk talk had disables VPN in their new routers. I was sent back a router that appears to work ...they say this is pot luck. But have never had a credible reply as to why talk talk a market leading telecommunication service has made this change and specified routers that don't accept VPN ie was this a supply chain issue or a design issue error....... It doesn't make sense given the way people work nowadays and has a big impact on remote workers and especially those who are disabled or carers. Today  I was told outright that talk talk does not support VPN and of. I was again referred  to the online community and told that community know how to override this. This doesn't seem to make sense. I have recently upgraded to fibre and faster broadband this is actually slow than the one we had so I've been on the phone daily to talk talk about no internet access by any devise include personal mobiles so our data  is being used up as no access. While on the phone I again raised the issue of no credible response 're VPN  especially as I was sent a new router when I upgraded which I am worried about plugging in case it doesn't accept VPN ...I was told today that no router supplied by talk talk should accept VPN and I need to talk to my IT department about this. I've explained it doesn't have anything to do with my IT department it's about the change in router and I needed to understand why the design change was made. You say in your post it's only one router with an issue but talktalk have said they are not supporting VPN  period....which is correct

Suesl
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Suels,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into the VPN issue further for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Suels
Popular Poster
Michelle I have posted a new thread can the VPN issue be urgently looked into
Suesl
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Suels

Please can you create a new thread here using the Start a topic button in blue.

Thanks

Debbie