83 REPLIES 83
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

hi all

Has anyone received this email?

I got this today (2nd Oct 2019).

This is a key extract from the email:

"Join us and keep your TalkTalk Mail free

If you’re not a TalkTalk customer, you can join us and continue to enjoy TalkTalk Mail for free. Call us on 0800 990 3635 to learn more about our great Fixed Low Price Plans and offers. All our plans include TalkTalk Mail at no extra cost.

If you want to just keep your email address, we’re happy to keep providing it to you, but you’ll need to sign up to TalkTalk Mail Plus for £5 a month or £50 a year.

Unfortunately, if you choose not to sign up for TalkTalk Mail Plus, from 21/11/2019 you’ll lose the vast majority of TalkTalk Mail features. For example, you’ll only be able to sign in at www.talktalk.co.uk/mail to check your emails.

A few months after 21/11/2019, we will start closing down mailboxes that aren’t registered to a TalkTalk Broadband account or signed up for TalkTalk Mail Plus."

I don't recall ANYWHERE during the hype and rollout of the new mail platform, that we'd now have to pay to access our mailboxes.

To be clear, I've a lineone mailbox. I don't have other talk talk services.

@OCE_Ady  I've tagged you because i have had a lot of positive contact with you in the past and i trust you. Please can you advise on this?

Thanks,

Gary

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Gary

Ady will pop along to give you any additional explanation and here's the briefing about TalkTalk Mail Plus.

If you do have a broadband service or choose to rejoin TalkTalk then you can add the lineone mailbox to your MyAccount and TalkTalk Mail will be subscription free.

We've seen quite a few people sign up to Mail Plus on the back of the invitation email.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@Gondola wrote:

Hi Gary

Ady will pop along to give you any additional explanation and here's the briefing about TalkTalk Mail Plus.

If you do have a broadband service or choose to rejoin TalkTalk then you can add the lineone mailbox to your MyAccount and TalkTalk Mail will be subscription free.

We've seen quite a few people sign up to Mail Plus on the back of the invitation email.

While i appreciate the quick response, your answer does NOT address that this is an unexpected / hidden charge, which has been sprung on users.

Talk Talk MUST have planned this all along. This is deceptive behaviour.

People having signed up to the £50 a year doesn't make it ok.

Btw, i only ended up with talk talk because they bought up tiscali (who'd picked up lineone).

Basically this is a ransom demand. We will delete your mailbox if you don't pay us.

Highlighted
Insightful One
Gondola posted "If you do have a broadband service or choose to rejoin TalkTalk then you can add the lineone mailbox to your MyAccount and TalkTalk Mail will be subscription free."

So if you are a broadband customer it will not cost you anything. If you are maybe the email was sent in error.
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@zebidee88 wrote:
Gondola posted "If you do have a broadband service or choose to rejoin TalkTalk then you can add the lineone mailbox to your MyAccount and TalkTalk Mail will be subscription free."

So if you are a broadband customer it will not cost you anything. If you are maybe the email was sent in error.

Thanks.

I'm not a talktalk customer as such - I've not bought into any of their services. I presumably got an email because i'm registered with them (necessarily to operate my lineone mailbox). Talk talk host lineone, pipex, tiscali and other legacy mailboxes.

Highlighted
Community Star

TalkTalk have long supported all their email addresses for non-customers free of charge and have clearly come to the conclusion that they cannot sustain this indefinitely. So non-customers can choose to either pay if they wish to sustain their existing email address(es), or are otherwise free to choose another email provider.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@ferguson wrote:

TalkTalk have long supported all their email addresses for non-customers free of charge and have clearly come to the conclusion that they cannot sustain this indefinitely. So non-customers can choose to either pay if they wish to sustain their existing email address(es), or are otherwise free to choose another email provider.

or just recognised they can make money on them.

Presumably they've spent a lot of money on the new mail platform and are looking to get income to offset the cost investment

Highlighted
Community Star

Well yes, of course, but the legacy email addresses have caused no end of trouble for TalkTalk  in recent years. Many of them have simply lapsed and become a hive of activity for spammers. Now at least TalkTalk are in a position to shut down any addresses if users do not wish to pay. And if you choose not to then there are plenty of free email providers out there you can choose from.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi gazzawazza 

TalkTalk Terms and Conditions are clear:

• If we give you access to an email account and an email address:
    (a) you don’t own them;
    (b) we may need to change your email address; and
    (c) if you leave us, you can’t keep them

TalkTalk are giving adequate notice to repeat the fact that if you leave TalkTalk, you can't keep the email address. 

TalkTalk have to pay the vendor of the new TalkTalk Mail service a fee per mailbox. I think you'd agree it's not fair on TalkTalk to pay for mailboxes for customers of other ISP's. But TalkTalk is playing fair with you and saying you can keep the mailbox (up to 5 if you wish) if you subscribe to TalkTalk Mail Plus.

Other new subscribers have clearly made their own decision on the fairness of the subscription fee.  Your choice.  Nobody is forcing you.

If your ISP is one of many that has abandoned offering a free mail service or simply deletes your mailbox after you leave them, well, there are still free independent Mail services you can use.

And TalkTalk Mail is free for TalkTalk customers. So rejoin TalkTalk and enjoy continued use of your mailbox subscription free.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi gazzawazza, the other members have answered your post correctly. Over the last 10 years or more we've run and supported mailboxes for millions of users. The costs are ever increasing and the time has come that the business has made the decision that we must now charge for the service. I think it's reasonable that we waited until we had a decent service to offer. We know that some customers believe it's unfair, but honestly we've spent millions supporting mailusers from whom we've never taken a penny in the past. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I have to disagree.

I've been a lineone.net email user since the 1990s. It is my online identity to everyone I know, and a key communications channel in my daily life - my banking, insurance, subscriptions, children's schools, children's (and my) hospital records, etc. I never approved Talktalk's acquisition of Tiscali (which had itself acquired lineone.net). It was Talktalk's commercial decision to acquire these companies (and their customers) on the basis of their existing relationships. To say that we are a drag on Talktalk is just disingenuous.

The truth is that my lineone.net mailbox costs Talktalk a few pennies a year; it takes up little server space because I only retain 1 month of emails on the server, and my email traffic is relatively low (but important to me). To suggest that £50/year is a reasonable fee, at short notice, is simply not an accurate reflection of my marginal cost to you. This would drive very significant marginal profit for you. Please don't try to message this as being reasonable: it isn't. I could get a corporate-grade Microsoft Exchange email box, which is the gold standard, hosted my Microsoft, for less than £3/month.

But the really important thing is this: I depend on my lineone.net email address to receive communications from others, and I cannot predict what I will receive and when. I have no list of all the people I need to inform about changing my email address. I get periodic emails from hospitals about upcoming recurrent appointments for one of my children, for example. I need AT LEAST 6 MONTHS NOTICE to be able to manage a sensible migration onto a new email address. And I would need Talktalk to put in place an email-forwarding service so that emails to my lineone.net email address get automatically passed onto my new email address. Anything less is unreasonable.

Others have said that this is extortion. They are right. If you give us a long lead time to migrate to another email address, then this is reasonable. Anything less is not. I will be writing to Ofcom to raise the issue directly.

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Gazzawazza - I agree entirely. This is a straight ransom demand.

If Talktalk gave us 6 months notice to manage an orderly migration from one email address to another, then it would be a different matter. But Talktalk has provided no assurances as to how long the email addresses would remain active beyond 1 December, and there has been no mention of putting an email-forwarding service in place to help with such a migration.

Talktalk's approach to this matter has appalled me; as a parting gift, I will be emailing everyone I know to share the experience, and warn them not to ever do anything with Talktalk in the future.
Highlighted
Community Star

And British Telecom charges ex-customers £7.50 a month for an email service hosted on the Yahoo Mail platform. A commercial benchmark to judge TalkTalk against.   

Money Saving Expert reported on the BT price increase from £5 to £7.50 in 2018 here. The bits of advice in the MSE editorial are equally applicable here. 

When I ceased a previous ISP's mail service it didn't take long to fully switch mail service provider. Weeks not months. If you think you actually need 6 months then subscribe month by month for any extra months beyond your December deadline. You can cancel at any time.

Or rejoin TalkTalk and TalkTalk Mail is free.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Gondola - with respect, you've missed my point.

Except in the case of my lineone.net email address, I have never used an email box provided by an ISP precisely because of the problems when you switch provider. And I agree that in such cases, where you intend to switch between ISPs, one would be foolish to use the ISP's email offering for critical logins and communications in daily life.

But lineone.net accounts are rather different. They go back to the beginning of the internet, and those who still have lineone.net email accounts will have had them for 20+ years. The providers of that email address have set an established pattern of not charging for the service. Consequently, the use of such an email address will be deeply embedded in all aspects of their daily lives. I agree it does not take long to switch the email address of an online account (eg, Amazon); I suggest it takes rather longer to get all the records that matter updated - eg, hospital contact details, banking contact details, pension contact details, etc. These are the sorts of contacts, if broken, can have very serious consequences. It is in this context that to start charging without reasonable notice is tantamount to extortion - I will have no choice but to pay your fees, even though I know you will be making huge marginal contribution off me.

You suggest I can switch to Talktalk. I cannot - I'm in a 12+ month contract with Sky. So Talktalk has me in a position where either (i) I have to pay Talktalk however much money they demand; or (ii) I have to take significant risk that important emails never reach me, once my lineone.net email address is closed down, at whatever unknown cost that will be.

And that's the point: Talktalk can demand however much you want per month and I would have to pay or take significant risk. Hence it is extortion.

I put it to you that Talktalk's approach on this is pretty nasty. If you gave me sensible notice, I would have no problem. You haven't. And that's unreasonable.

Highlighted
Community Star

I shudder to think how you would ever cope with moving home ....

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @lineone_net_user 

When Lineone started it was as a subscription service for dial up Internet including email and web hosting. Customers like me paid a monthly subscription to include email. I had a Lineone email address.

There was a transition of Lineone into Tiscali and then TalkTalk. I recall at some point I got an email saying that I could no longer keep the email address as by then I was either using free dial up Internet services or was a customer of another ISP.

Sky don't provide email service to new customers because it costs too much to be able to reasonably absorb the cost and still remain price competitive in the broadband market.

TalkTalk has never said you can keep an email address when you leave. It also seems to be giving adequate notice to migrate email service to another provider and giving you the opportunity to keep the lineone email address on a subscription basis which is how lineone started in life.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Fergason.

Moving house is easy, because the old address doesn't disappear: any mail sent to the old address still gets delivered there, and I make sure I keep in contact with the new occupiers of my old address, and I pick up any mail I've forgotten about when organising a change of address. No problem.

If Talktalk put in an email-forwarding service on the lineone.net email account, so that emails to my lineone.net were diverted to my new email address, I would have no difficulties. The problem is that Talktalk will be deleting the email account, which means emails to that address will bounce and the sender will have no way of getting it to my new address. There is no practical fix that I can put in place unless Talktalk wants to be helpful. The cost to Talktalk of offering email-forwarding for a year, say, must be close to £Nil.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @lineone_net_user 

Mail auto forwarding is an interesting option. When Tesco fully closed down tesco.net email they allowed customers to use mail forwarding for 3 months before deleting accounts.

I would say that's a reasonable compromise for legacy customers. i.e. in your case you have been given a deadline of December so to allow mail auto forwarding for 3 months after the deadline before a mailbox is deleted would seem fair.

@OCE_Ady - as part of the project team perhaps you could take this on?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hmm, the last time I moved it was from London to Nottingham, not very practical to keep picking up my mail.

Surely you can set up an alternative email address to forward your lineone stuff to? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Gondola - 

I never paid a monthly subscription for lineone, just a pay-as-you-go dial-up service. The email was free.

I have never received an email from anyone about having to give up my lineone email address, until earlier this week. Hence why I am now alarmed at my situation.

I'm not comparing Talktalk to Sky. I'm simply saying that I cannot switch to Talktalk to avoid the £5/month fee, as I'm in a contract with Sky. I have never taken an email address from an ISP, except for lineone.net because it offered a free email address, just like Hotmail did.

I have not been a Talktalk broadband customer, as far as I can recall, so the idea that "I cannot keep it" when I leave is irrelevant. I had my lineone email address before Talktalk existed! Talktalk chose to acquire Tiscali, which had itself acquired lineone. Talktalk made the commercial decision to take on these customers because they saw value in them, and the approval of that deal would have been based on a business case that took into account the (very small) cost of my email box.

I agree that Talktalk has to manage its cost base. I agree that Talktalk may want to modify its revenue model. This is standard business. It is also sensible business (alas not so standard, these days) to think about things from the customers' perspectives. The introduction of a significant fee on an email box at such short notice is not, I suggest, sensible business. It will take up a lot of my time to mitigate the problems Talktalk is going to cause me, and ensure permanent lack of goodwill to buying any Talktalk products or services in the future.