Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Setting up email account on mobile phone

6 REPLIES 6
AlexanderGrahamBell
First Timer

I am having problems setting up my Talk Talk email account on my new LG G5 running Android 7.0.

Every time i attempt to complete the set up, using the steps in the Talk Talk help pages, and setting up as an IMAP rther than POP3 account, and using the  port numbers as prescribed in the Help Guide, i get the following message every time I try to complete:-

" Setup incomplete.

Cannot connect to server. try again after checking network connection and eneterd info."

I have done the above numerous times but to no avail.

I did manage to set up the account a couple of days ago but as a POP3 account not an IMAP but because it wouldn't send emails (was receiving fine) I deleted  the account and started again, thinking setting it up as an IMAP would overcome the sending problem, but to no avail.

Anyone got any suggestions/solutions they can offer?

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi AlexanderGrahamBell, do you by any chance have android 6 device? Is that working ok? I've got a feeling that the latest version of Android will be the issue. I've dropped a message to our mail admins to see if they're aware of any issues.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

AlexanderGrahamBell
First Timer

Hi,

I previously had a device running Android 6.0.1 and had no probems setting up email accounts on that device.

However I have continued to persevere and eventually found an old post from a few years back ( i think it was 2013/14) and used the settings advised there which did the trick. My email accounts are now setup perfecty and work without a hitch.

There clearly seems to be a problem with the incoming and outgoing server the settings advised in the help pages as they won't necessarily work on all android devices.

These are the settings I used 

Solution 

Re: Outgoing server setting issue on android phone  

I use these settings;

Android devices and Talk Talk email addresses
***First, you must choose manual set up in the mail application when setting up your android device!***
Incoming settings
account name - yourmail@talktalk.net
username - yourmail@talktalk.net
password - your password
IMAP server - imap.talktalk.net
port - 143
security type - none

outgoing settings
SMTP server - smtp.talktalk.net
port - 587
security type - none
require sign in - ticked (yes)
password - your password

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

That's excellent. Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

joannie-a
First Timer

Followed andys instructions worked great. Over an hour on chat to talktalk and they could not give me thst simple info!!!

@AlexanderGrahamBell wrote:

Hi,

I previously had a device running Android 6.0.1 and had no probems setting up email accounts on that device.

However I have continued to persevere and eventually found an old post from a few years back ( i think it was 2013/14) and used the settings advised there which did the trick. My email accounts are now setup perfecty and work without a hitch.

There clearly seems to be a problem with the incoming and outgoing server the settings advised in the help pages as they won't necessarily work on all android devices.

These are the settings I used 

Solution 

Re: Outgoing server setting issue on android phone  

I use these settings;

Android devices and Talk Talk email addresses
***First, you must choose manual set up in the mail application when setting up your android device!***
Incoming settings
account name - yourmail@talktalk.net
password - your password
IMAP server - imap.talktalk.net
port - 143
security type - none

outgoing settings
SMTP server - smtp.talktalk.net
port - 587
security type - none
require sign in - ticked (yes)
password - your password

Joannie-a
trudyb19
First Timer

I have this problem and have followed both your advice and that from Joanne but to no avail.  My network provider tells me that Talktalk do not support LG8 mobiles

John Smith
First Timer

Similar Problem.

I am trying to set up my Tiscali account on my new Moto G6 phone on Outlook without success.

It will set up on Gmail and BlueMail but not outlook - the one I would prefer to use.

I have changed my password to ensure it is correct, used the pop/imap and smtp settings as recommended. 

According to the Outlook support, having checked the server settings,...'it seems that it doesnt support TLS v1.2 protocol which is required by the appto establish a secure connection to Tiscali.'

Any suggestions?