Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

D-Link 3782 Firmware Update

63 REPLIES 63
AldridgeAndy
Super Duper Contributor

Hi OCE's it seems sometime ago that awareness was raised of firmware quirks along with the VPN issue when using the D-Link 3782 router.

Then a few months ago a revised test firmware was released for a day or two to fix the VPN issue, this firmware was then withdrawn awaiting an official release.

The current firmware on this device was built in December 2016, so well over 12 months old.

The HG633 device has regular updates to improve its performance, around three or four incremental releases within the past twelve months.

Has the 3782 router been abandoned by TalkTalk, or do D-Link not work as closely with TalkTalk for firmware updates?

Any ideas when / if the 3782 will have an update to enable reliable VPN working and to also address the issues you are aware of via forum feedback?

Many thanks in advance.

KeithFrench
Community Star

We have not been advised of any official release of new firmware for the DSL-3782 as yet.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi AldridgeAndy

New firmware for the DSL3782 has been tested and should be available soon.

As soon as we receive a date for when this firmware is ready then we will post on the Community to let you know.

Thanks

Debbie

ajaxupgrades
Team Player

No news on this firmware release yet?

AjA

Start with the obvious, easy fixes. Save yourself embarrassment when you find out it's the microfilter that's knackered!
TeamPope
Popular Poster

I received a brand new D-Link 3782 just over a week ago.. same hold Dec 2016 firmware on it, so they have at least note updated their stock firmware.

KeithFrench
Community Star

There is currently no firmware update since V1.08.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

ajaxupgrades
Team Player

@OCE_Debbiewrote:

Hi AldridgeAndy

As soon as we receive a date for when this firmware is ready then we will post on the Community to let you know.

Thanks

Debbie

Has the update you mentioned been scrapped @OCE_Debbie or is it still being worked on?

AjA

Start with the obvious, easy fixes. Save yourself embarrassment when you find out it's the microfilter that's knackered!
AldridgeAndy
Super Duper Contributor
I’m sure I read somewhere that the new firmware was currently in test with TalkTalk employees.

If that’s the case and no “show stoppers” are found then it hopefully won’t be far away.

I’m sure TalkTalk would like to crack the VPN issues as continually swapping out the 3782 for a HG633 must be costing them some serious money.
ajaxupgrades
Team Player

My work Sonicwall VPN is working OK through the 3782. Must be just the Torrent downloaders that are struggling... 😉

AjA

AldridgeAndy
Super Duper Contributor

@ajaxupgrades Must admit my Baracuda VPN works fine too, and I actually really rate this router. If the niggles were sorted then I think it would be a first class device. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

First do not use the mydlink app as atm it sends login details in plain txt and while on its own its not an exploite if you have other holes it will leak.

Am sure you guys know of the diagnostic page exploit where anyone with access can spam it with txt/numbers to cause ddos but make sure to put a lockout timer on login password as can do same thing with it and thats not even logged into router. Password length is 30 which is fine but being able to spam it indefinitely causes router to lag out and in depending on what your doing online it can dc while showing lots of errors. Easy to sort, also default username should NOT be stuck to admin.

Not a lot can say or will be going cross firmware and going into exploits that will only happen if 3-5 other criteria met and other hardware/software personalised exploits that have almost 0% chance of happen.

Just few things

1 current firmware has bugs will try describe. Some settings like time and log bug out and usb port random starts spam log with /dev/usb/lp0: No such device, will try opening later and constant port 1900. Think it wants a remote printer, am testing this atm in case its exploit and trying to send RAW data stream remote, doubt this is case as not seen any data stream yet. Few other bugs/errors in code that cause visual and lil bugs in gui but am sure its only in gui and not actual problems.

99% of exploits are down to bad user settings and the other 1% need a bunch of things to fit criteria and only really happen in lab environment.

Dont bother with the bad cookie or shell exploits as that is caused by OS and user settings and has also been patched at OS level but if anyway to stop attackers being able to constant spam random code into router and not get locked out?? happens in OS or network but should not with right settings but no way on router to stop random code. If this is patched will stop almost every other known exploit, some sort of limits put in.

I could go on and on but these are the main things.

Oh I get it why dns is locked but it could be set to allow a few well known dns and set to reboot router after its changed?

one last thing whoever keeping up with current exploits mind most will work cross firmware if given right exnviroment (bad user serrings) 

Will be a law in next 2 years to stop some root settings on wifi routers being changed so many ISP routers will be locked right down and a lot less exploits but at same time a lot less ability to test.

Anyways I got work to do.....

Community Team

Hi ajaxupgrades,

Sorry, we have no further news about the firmware update yet, we'll let you know when we do

Chris

royan
First Timer

Hello all,

I've just scanned my network with Avast and learned that D-Link firmware v1.08t is affected by CVE-2017-14491

Can someone from Talktalk escalate the task of releasing most recent firmware upgrade with your security people?

We all remember how almost 157 000 Talktalk customers had their private data stolen by 16 year old hacker who had used plain old-school SQL injection just three years ago and all because you forgot to patch your own systems.

Thanks,

Roman

KeithFrench
Community Star

HI @royan

If you are concerned about this, then please create your own thread.

Keith

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rohan I think this is the reason that Talk Talk have locked down dns settings on the DLink 3782 but I may be wrong.

Also if you check Avast forums a lot of people getting the same CVE detected and not just on DLINK routers. It has something to do with google I think as all signs point back to googles dns.

Long story cut short its more than likely a false positive but good you have noticed it and posted so it can be checked out.

This is the info for this CVE

• CVE-2017-14491—A DNS-based remote code execution vulnerability in Dnsmasq versions before 2.76 is marked as the most severe that allows for unrestricted heap overflows, affecting both directly exposed and internal network setups.

Note it says  DnsMasq  not firmware version!!! and the dlink 3782 has  DnsMasq version .2.78 from what I remember.

Avast are muddeling the numbers so people tell each other that it detects that CVE so they use Avast. F Secure router check is what you want to check DNS

https://www.f-secure.com/en_GB/web/home_gb/router-checker

It runs from browser. Its not complicated scan/test or anything and same can be done with comand prompt/powershell.

Anonymous
Not applicable

wont go on but the amount of modded CVE exploits has went from 372 down to 1 and the 1 is part from host not router. I bred Zanti with kali nethunter aka "broke no matter what"

I use Zanti with my own custom payloads on same LAN and friend does same but without the custom payloads from the Wan using the external IP and after 12 tonight we noticed that its only method tamper on port 80 relating to a host that sends details in http 80 and for anyone who dont know thats common thing and not a real exploite.

I did not want to post about this again guys so wont go on but am very very happy with this turn around and whoever made the small change (looks like its been a missconfiged htaccess file :P) DID SAY 😛 whoever did the fixwell done and thnx 🙂

Can post my screenshots showing that what I say is true however like before am not posting exacts as a lot of them are sort of "just born" and dont want them repeated by anyone. I only do it to test so 🙂

thnx Talk Talk 🙂

AldridgeAndy
Super Duper Contributor

@OCE_Debbie wrote:

Hi AldridgeAndy

Thanks

Debbie

@OCE_Debbieare there any updates to share on the 3782 firmware front?

I appreciate that releasing firmware V2.0 for the 633 has given it a new lease of life. The new hub is getting some very favourable reviews. Will the 3782 be shown some "TalkTalk Love" soon too?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Best advice I can give you AldridgeAndy is get a hub even if you need to renew contract, its £30 which is a bit of money but it is the umtimate in wifi networking and omg is it secure.

im currently doing a custom firmware build for the dlink but as its one of the "dont mess with me" routers its taking some time. What kind of new things are you hoping for with the new firmware? as its not likely to be much just CEV patches and few last htaccess tweaks.
AldridgeAndy
Super Duper Contributor

@Anonymous

To be honest, fixes to highlighted bugs would be nice.

Off the top of my head...

Sorting out the drifting device time as it only seems to connect to the time server at power-up

Getting the device logs to work, I don't believe they do at the moment.

Enabling compatibility with business VPN's for home workers

Ability to adjust DNS

Ability to rename or assign a name to devices accessing for easy identificaiton

But the big positive is that this device has no problems uploading and downloading at the same time ( though this may well be fixed with the 633 v2.0 firmware as i've not seen complaints for a while ).

KeithFrench
Community Star

I passed all of this & more to TalkTalk when I originally tested the DSL-3782. They have it all in hand with the developers. I have seen numerous posts saying the next firmware version could be released soon, but no news of a release date or details of what is in this release.

Keith