Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperate help required for Port Forwarding

simonwarren007
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 15

Looking for help on port forwarding.  On thursday the credit card terminal in my shop worked fine but on Friday morning it wouldnt connect to the wifi.  

Investigations with the terminal provider showed that the ports had been blocked overnight and that i should contact my service provider to unblock them.  When i contacted TalkTalk they told me that they didn't support port forwarding and told me to go to portforward.com.  I did this and followed the instructions but have not been able to unblock the ports.  

After several pleading/begging calls to talktalk without any assistance, just a point blank 'we don't support port forwarding' i had to employ an IT support company to help me, but even they, after an hour of working on my system remotely (and costing £80) weren't successful.

I have lost 3 days of trade due to this issue as i rely on the credit card terminal for 100% of my business.  

Please can someone assist. Looking at previous threads maybe @KeithFrench can help?

Many thanks

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

You will need to speak to the card machine people on that. Mind you this is all a bit surprising because unless your router had lost its configuration for some reason, you said it worked OK up until recently. 

The port forwarding seems fine but there is always a problem when trying to support Business customers. The TTB routers run a different firmware to the residential router of the same model. I know that you get four static IP addresses & presumably the incoming connection request comes in on one of these, but I do not know if there is any other configuration required to get it to use the port mapping or not. With residential it is easy, there is only one IP address.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

i'm not sure. How do i find out?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Are these ports TCP or UDP? If TCP try testing some via a port checking website from another device connected to the router:-

https://portchecker.co/

Do they report as open?

If they are UDP, then port checking websites are incompatible with UDP & they will always report as closed.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hmm, afraid to say that's exactly what i've done.  Really not sure what else to do...

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Sorry, it has been some while since I have worked on a similar router. Those two are applications, which is what I meant, they are fine.

Then on the port mapping page, create a port mapping of card terminal 1 & set its application to be card terminal 1. Then create a second port mapping called perhaps card terminal 2 and set its application to be card terminal 2.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

So thats what i thought as well, so i made two seperate ones 10,000-28089 and then 28091-46408 but i'm not sure sure what you mean by not putting them on the same page.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

From what I can see there is one port in that range it won't allow - 28090.

Try one port mapping (card terminal1) from 10000 - 28089 and a second totally different mapping (perhaps called card terminal2) from 28091 - 46408. Don't put them both on the same page as that often doesn't work

Then point them both at the same Application.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15
i have a talk talk HG635 router
0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

The card terminal is connected to the wifi but won't connect to Barclaycard due to the blocked ports.  

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

So is the device now connected to the WiFi? If it is then please can you get me screenshots of the above from the router & let me know which make/model of router that you have?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Ok, @KeithFrench, any help you're able to give i'd greatly appreciate.

The port ranges i've been asked to open are: 16400/46408 and 10,000/46408.  However, when i do that it says:

• The range of external port cannot include 7547,514,68,53,546,500,1701,8443,8080,990,5060,28090,50000-50020.
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 12 of 15

If it won't connect to the WiFi the problem is not port forwarding, it might be a WiFi interference issue. 

Sorry but this forum is only for residential customers only, for all business support, please visit:-

https://supportcentre.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/home

Having said that, whilst I am not supposed to I will try & help if you want, although I don't expect to have much time until tomorrow.

Thank you.

Keith

Message 13 of 15

I'm using an HG635 router

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 14 of 15

@KeithFrench is certainly your best bet.

@simonwarren007  whilst waiting for the guru to appear, please add your router model number and firmware version here.

If, however, you are a TT Business customer, be aware there is no official forum support and TT Business supply different firmware and routers.