Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Congestion? Speeds drop at 7pm

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

For the last week or so I have noticed that my speeds drop from 68mb to around 28mb, pretty much exactly at 7pm onwards.

I have already ruled out all the usual suspects, so I'm assuming it's conngestion or something Anyonne else get this?

My router still shows downstream at 68 but any speed tests always go below 30.

It will be back to normal tomorrrow morning and then start again in the evening.

Highlighted
Team Player
Can any staff help me with this? It happens every night after 8PM. Clearly congestion, but don't know what to do as it's well below the minimum guarentee.
Highlighted
Community Star

Your topic seems to have been missed originally I'm afraid, so I have escalated it to the support team for you now. 

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you. It's also around this time at night that I get really bad packet loss and long ping times.

Highlighted
Community Star

Is this wired, wireless, or both? Local wireless congestion can be an issue when a neighbourhood is very busy, not really a lot that your ISP can do about that.

Highlighted
Team Player

It's both wired and wireless, tried both. During the day I get the full 60-70mb and then about 7PM onwards it goes down to about 25MB but I also get crazy packet loss and high latency.

The router still shows a sync speed of like 67MB, but every single speed test I tried comes out at the same 20-25MB speed.

I tried completely disabling the WiFi and keeping only one ethernet connection going and it is the same. I have no phones connected and also tried connecting to the test socket.

It's repeated each night from 7PM on, until about 12AM.

Highlighted
Team Player
Isn't there the minimum guarenteed speed or something though? I would of thought ISP's would be required to upgrade their hardware if there is serious congestion like this.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi scott,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent.

Could you run a few more wired speed tests at different times of the day and also run a wired ping and trace route when the speed is good and also when the speed drops and post the results into the thread. We can then pass this over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player
It's very bad tonight, it seems to go from 0.5mb/s to 30mb/s every few minutes and the latency also bounces around. It really is like clockwork though, 7PM onwards until about 12 ish. It's like there is others using my internet or something but ive checked the router and only the PC is connected. It must be congestion somewhere along the line.

Could you please check if there are issues with my local exchange? Or any other congestion issues reported in my area? That would save a lot of time. My exchange is NDSIT.

I have also asked neighbours and they also report problems at night.
Highlighted

Hi scott,

I've asked one of our Network Engineers to take a look and I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I did two speed tests tonight as I forgot the other day. So during the day I was getting 62mb and now I get 30mb.

fast.pngfast2.png

Highlighted
Team Player
Also the router still shows a sync speed of 62
Highlighted
Team Player

It's now 1am ish and speeds are back to normal. This repeats like clockwork each night.

fast3.pngfast4.png

Highlighted
Team Player

I did two speed tests today, one at 4PM and one at 9PM although not as bad as yesterday, it's still quite a drop:

4PM:

4pm.png4pm2.png

9PM:

9pm.png9pm2.png

Highlighted

Hi scott,

I'm sorry for the delay. I'm hoping to hear back from the Network Engineer today and I'll post back here as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi scott,

Just a quick update to advise that our Network Team are still investigating this.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi scott,

I've just chased for an update on this again now.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player
Thank you
Highlighted
Team Player

This is tonight at 9:30PM, was 62 earlier in the day.

Highlighted
Team Player

Another test at 12AM and things are back to normal. There does some to be some issue with single threaded download speeds though.