cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

How to order TalkTalk Openreach FTTP (Future Fibre)

184 REPLIES 184
Highlighted
First Timer

At my house we have an openreach fttp line already installed but with TalkTalk we have to use the ADSL. Our speed is 0.4mbps, when we were promised 7! I looked on the openreach website and i see that TalkTalk is listed as an openreach fttp ISP. I contacted Openreach about this and they said that all I need to do is order it from the TalkTalk website. How would I go about this?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @muluka 

See if you can get on the Future Fibre trial with TalkTalk. The trial offer ends soon.

I'm expecting to see TalkTalk offer FTTP full fibre from both CityFibre and Openreach networks very soon. The deal with CityFibre is due to complete during March and hopefully negotiation of a national FTTP agreement with Openreach will also be finalised.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

It looks like Openreach may have jumped the gun in showing TalkTalk as offering FTTP over Openreach lines, unless it purely due to the trials as they don't show Sky who are prepping a imminent launch.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Colin

I think, as you do, that Openreach have jumped the gun on availability. Not even heard that a national deal with TalkTalk has been finalised yet just that a trial pricing deal was done.

Did you see that Openreach are going to be releasing to the consumer market in March their 500Mbps and 1Gbps FTTP products where supported by suitable equipment.  I know my street cabinet is already 1Gbps capable. Whether the national agreement with TalkTalk includes that or not we'll find out in due course.

Insiders are reported as saying to ISP Review that Openreach are looking to capture the potential full fibre users seeking those top-of-the-range products with some attractive wholesale price offers to ISP's in Q4 this year.  I hope that TalkTalk will not delay offering those top-end products to customers until they can take advantage of discounts for achieving quantity sales targets.

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

I did see the news about offers on the higher speeds and my first concern was TT holding off till then, but as Sky are saying they will launch FTTP very soon I think TT will have no choice but to follow suit soon after.

Highlighted
First Timer

This has been really useful information, but it doesn't help that the only provider for my new flat is BT and they want to charge me loads more than what I can afford, I am holding out for TalkTalk to give a better deal, when do you think this will be? As I have been in my new build flat for over a month now and still nothing.

I don't understand why a housing association have allowed FTTP to be installed but no available providers aside from BT who are expensive knowing that the people that are putting in there can't afford it.

That aside I have to be able to get something sorted through talktalk quickly as I am currently working from home.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

BT's own website is currently saying FTTP is available for me now - they literally just finished the cabling work last week.  The website also lists TalkTalk as a provider that has a Package currently available, however nothing is listed in My Account for me to upgrade.

I've been living with a sub-par service ever since moving to FTTC, so it'd be fantastic to get on a package that actually delivers the speed it should.

If BT are explicitly listing TalkTalk as a provider who has a Package available - with certain other notable IPS NOT on the list - then surely we must be close to being able to sign up for something?

I have my own post on this topic, but thought I'd share here so anyone following this one can see if they can progress things.

Scoob.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Scoob

Heads up that Openreach aren't offering any home installs for FTTP for anyone. Not BT, not Sky, not TalkTalk. Order books are pushed back until at least 1 June whilst the Government special measures are in place. And TalkTalk have made no announcement as yet on availability or pricing. Not even sure they got the national deal agreed with Openreach before the lock down began.

There are TalkTalk customers on FTTP trial with the Openreach product as that trial started before the lock down.

So wait until Openreach start accepting orders and then for TalkTalk to start taking orders. I'm sure FTTP will be available in due course via the main sales page.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Thanks.  I wonder why BT have updated their site within the last couple of days then?  I checked last week and FTTP was "coming soon to your area" (or words to that effect) now it says it's available and TalkTalk is explicitly listed as a Provider option.

Note: this is their formal availability site, where you enter your postcode and select your address - the exact same thing I did last week, and got a different result.

I was speaking to the guys actually laying the Fibre and doing the work on the pole outside the house a little over two weeks ago, and they said they expected packages to be available in two weeks...which ties up with what BT's own site is saying.

Perhaps something has changed with the timescale?  The guys working for BT certainly seem to think so.  Guess I'll just watch this space and see what happens.  I didn't expect things to move this fast - even when they said it - due to the current situation, but the site suggests it's available now, certainly for BT customers.

Edit: like many websites, there are different ways to access information.  I've tried several routes to look for the new FTTP packages.  Depending which route I go, I either get an "it's available now, order it from us or these providers" or a "it's not ready...yet".  So, BT's own website has contradictory information, depending on how you get to their page.  I of course you the exact same post code each time, and there are only a handful of houses here, so it looks like they've updated part of their website prematurely.  I'll continue to watch, but I suspect their recent website change will be regressed soon.

Scoob.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Scoob

Obviously you believe that you can get FTTP installed in 2 weeks' time. Good luck with that.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

No, that's not what I've been trying to say.  I was just repeating what I'd been told by various BT Staff, and what was also reflected on their website, that's all.  With the infrastructure work all completed last week, it's not a huge leap to believe it might be ready soon when it comes from two sources.

It was the discrepancy between various sources of supposedly legit information that was my my query.  In summary:

BT Engineers - outside actually doing the work to install the Fibre line to the pole and install a box (I don't know if it has a specific name) on said pole ready to run the Fibre line to the house, replacing the current overhead cables.  Main Fibre to the Pole was completed a couple of weeks back, with the Engineers saying it'll be finished within a "couple of weeks".

Different BT Engineers arriving, adding the "box" on the pole and connecting it up to the Fibre, completed last week.  So the "couple of weeks" was correct in that respect, just not regarding it being customer ready, so to speak.

BT's own website being updated in the last few days to now say that an FTTP product is available NOW from them, and selected Providers, including TalkTalk.  Which seems a bit premature, based on other information.

I'm just coming here to see when a Package might be available.  I've read what you wrote about things being delayed due to COVID-19 - which makes perfect sense of course - however, Engineers have been here working over the past few weeks and BT's own Website has been updated to say it ready, and you just need to select your package.

The discrepancy seems to be solely on BT's side, with other parts of their Website - which also ask for your Postcode - saying it's not available yet.  I suspect the BT Engineers were just quoting the normal time-scale for things, not taking into account the impact of COVID-19 on other areas of the business, while their job, surprisingly, was not impacted, so they assumed things would progress as usual.

I've just been trying to share what I've been told, alongside the actual work that's been going on outside the house.  No one was more surprised than me when BT turned up and started laying Fibre down our quite little lane.

When they did FTTC replacing the old ADSL - which was only a couple of years ago here - a package was available to buy before the work was actually finished.  My start date actually got moved back by a week or so I think it was, but I signed up early.  I was the first person, by almost a month, to get FTTC in our area, not that there's many houses.

Scoob.

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Couple of points, the install to the poles has been going ahead abiet at a slower rate, but the engineers won't come inside the house to install the ONT. The checker should now show '1 stage install', and after lockdown they can then run a cable from the manifold on the pole to your house and fit the ONT.
AFAIK if you order FTTP from BT with no ONT fitted, then BT will put you on their FTTC until such time as lockdown finishes.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Thanks @Colin59 that makes perfect sense.  I think BT just jumped the gun with their website saying it was available now for my Postcode.  I checked again and it's been reverted back, so evidently a mistake or a change being implemented on the website based on the pre-COVID-10 schedule.  The Engineers I'm sure were just quoting the usual time-scale, unaware perhaps that their colleagues who performed the pole to house part of the install had been delayed.

I had hoped initially, with actual fibre now being closer to the house, it might enhance FTTC in the short-term - i.e. they'd pop a cabinet closer.  However, that does not seem to be the case.  Whatever work they've been doing, my existing FTTC has degraded over the past few weeks.  Though that could just be coincidence of course.

Scoob.

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

I would say it's unlikely that any new cabinets will be installed, the UK is moving towards FTTP and expenditure on new cabinets isn't seen as part of that anymore, although I suppose there may be the odd case for one.

As for speed, when FTTP first came down the road, my speed dropped by a small amount, but with many of the BT customers now on FTTP and a bit of work by Openreach (after intervention from TalkTalk) on resetting my line profile it's now much higher than it ever has been.

Now it's just waiting for TT to join the party, it's been annoying that Brexit and CV-19 has slowed things down, but at least I've avoided the two total losses of service my village has suffered as the FTTP has played up.

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

FTTP should be available on OpenReach fibre next month.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

any sign of this ?

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

I've been keeping a watch on any signs, nothing yet. It will be a 'soft launch' apparently, so don't expect to see it prominently displayed.

Highlighted
First Timer

I'm hoping TalkTalk publish their FTTP offerings soon. I'm thinking  about paying my early termination fee going with BT.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

As am I.  BT will actually refund any termination fee - it's an offer they're doing at the moment.  I was shocked when they told me, on two separate occasions.

Scoob.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I have order placed with BT for activation in August but really hoping TalkTalk get act together before then.