Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Solid red Internet light on router.

60 REPLIES 60
Simon Atkinson
Team Player

I have had no internet access for 4 days.   Really could do with some help to get it fixed.   I have done the online chat tech support 5 times.  Each time i get asked the same standard questions which result in being told to turn router off for 30 mins which doesn't result in a fix.  Have been told i need a new router which is being sent . I have tried a different talk talk router and still red internet light .  All other lights are green as normal and no faults are found on phone line . Tel works fine.  Has anybody any suggestions as to how to fix as Talk Talk don't seem to have any suggestions other than a set of standard questions.  When it doesn't fix they just blame the router and end the chat! 

KeithFrench
Community Star

When the internet light is red on the router, (or the status light is amber on the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub) the connection to the exchange equipment (or fibre cabinet if fibre) is normally OK, but there is a virtual path that needs to exist from this equipment to the internet. It is this virtual path that is down. This can be caused generally by:-

1. Authentication issues
  2. Network issues
  3. IP filter issues
  4. An unusual line fault that does not affect basic connection.
  5. Router configuration issue or faulty router

The best way to resolve this is for me to pass this to one of TalkTalk's OCEs to investigate the condition for you now.

The forum is not real time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use on-line chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

Please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Simon Atkinson
Team Player

Thanks for the list of possible faults.  Has anybody had success in getting this type of fault fixed? How do you get Talk Talk to look further than a faulty router?  They have said i have to wait for the new router as this will sort my red light issue.  They have said the spare known working talk talk router i have  could also be faulty!  I have a feeling the 3rd brand new router they are sending will also show a red fault light when plugged in.  

td123
Chat Champion

@Simon Atkinson  You don't mention it so I don't know if you have tried the reset button on the rear of the router, depressing it with a paperclip or something similar. Depending on which router you have it may require 10 to 20 secs to activate.

Simon Atkinson
Team Player

Thanks for your help.  Yes have tried a full reset in the back of the router.  I have a spare router which shows the same fault when i plug it in.   The internet was working fine at 11pm Thursday but when i got up at 6am Friday the red light was on and has never gone off since.  

td123
Chat Champion

@Simon Atkinson  Again apologies if you have already tried this but if you have a test socket within your master socket you should be able to determine if the fault is on the outside phoneline setup or inside your home. 

Hopefully this link will work:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-guide-to-master-sockets/ta-p/2205432

KeithFrench
Community Star

Simple, you cannot solve it yourself, wait for the OCEs tomorrow as per my original post.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Simon

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket? Once you have confirmed this then I can escalate this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Simon Atkinson
Team Player

Thanks.  Yes.  Everything is connected and solid red light next to the word internet is still showing .  Equipment is HG633.  All other lights are green and normal.   Tel has dial tone.

Community Team

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply.

I've escalated this fault over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Simon

Our Network Team have advised that if all testing has been completed with an alternative router, cable and filter at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Pfred
Conversation Starter

Hi Simon,

Been there, done it, got the tee shirt!

Tomorrow marks eight weeks of no internet access!

Hope that you have better luck but don't hold your breath!

Peter

Pfred
Simon Atkinson
Team Player

OMG.   That's what i am worried about.   Internet just went off overnight. Phone line still working and green broadband light is on .  Now been told an engineer will have to visit to check my wiring.  Nothing is up with my wiring. No fault will be found with it.  This will take weeks to sort at this rate.  I am self employed and need the internet connection.   I don't understand why talk talk can't just cancel my current set up and just give me new number and internet set up.   Would that not sort the unknown fault?

Community Team

Hi Simon,

The line test is showing a lot of reconnections, our network team have advised that to investigate further we will need to arrange an engineer visit 

Chris

Community Team

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the PM, I've replied requesting a bit more information

Chris

Pfred
Conversation Starter

Hi Simon

At least it seems from what you say that you had a connection previously so you are in with a chance!

I had six separate visits from those nice guys at Openreach before TT admitted that they are at fault. From the start, the first Openreach engineer suggested a "cease and re-provide" but this was turned down flat by TT as "not a solution to the problem"! I raised that idea just recently again and was told that "ceasing" takes thirty days and "re-provide" a further two weeks!

Keep smiling!

Peter

Pfred
Community Team

Hi Simon

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have asked our Network Team to book the first available appointment. I will post back to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Simon

The engineer visit has been arranged for 04/04/2019 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Simon Atkinson
Team Player

Hi Debbie, the Openreach engineer has just left after being at my property for 4 hours!  He has said he has done everything he can including swapping things in Fibre cabinet and asking Openreach 2nd line to run diagnostic tests .  I don't have a lot of knowledge of this type of thing but he seemed to be saying the fault is definitely with Talk Talk. He said openreach side of things is set up correctly and fully working without faults.   

Would you be able to advise what happens now to get my internet service working.

Many thanks 

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

While not a solution to your problem, it would appear you should now be eligible for automatic compensation ( see link ) which might help concentrate minds on a solution.