FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Fiber with speed boost--Slower Speeds

DEGSY541
Participant
Message 23 of 23

Been away for a few days,left modem switched on,tested speeds after returning home yesterday,and they have dropped quite a bit,on the downside,upload acceptable.I was reaching almost constantly ,down 53 mbps.and up 11.7 mbps.Now on returning home-down is 44.3 mbps. and up11.1 mbps.(hardwired ethernet to pc).I then switched modem off for about 40 minutes or so and connected to test socket with just hardwired ethernet connection to pc. and results not much difference--45.0mbps.down and 10.9 mbps.up.Any modem disconnections showing are by myself,re-setting modem.I have the latest modem which has been rock solid with no disconnections. There does not seem to be any noise on line.

I have had openreach engineer out about 4 times earlier in year,testing line,as I was only achieving about 40mbps. down then.He could not find any faults in my home set-up,he cleaned some connections outside at telegraph pole and line connection box at my roof,and also re-set system.All has been ok. after that until now.I am about 400 yds. from cabinet,and engineer said,as my line is copper,from cabinet,I would only be able to achieve around 53 mbps. down,and 11.0 mbps. up.I would like to achieve the readings my system has been reaching all year,up to this suddend download drop from 53 mbps. down to 45.0 mbps.I have left connection in test socket.

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

Message 1 of 23

OK thanks, could you continue to monitor and let us know if the speed drops or you experience any stability issues

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 23

Hi Michelle,

Yes,ok--the connection has been stable.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 23

Hi DEGSY541,

Thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats now and the sync speed and stability do both look consistent. How have you found the overall performance of the connection?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 23

Hi Debbie,

Monitored speeds for six days-1st. day-48.1 up and 11.2 mbps down,all other days a constant 48.6 down,and 11.2 up.Used to get 52.6 down,and around 11.2 up.Openreach,last visit,put me on a spare line,which has now increased download speed a little,around 4 mbps.Openreach  engineer tells me it is aluminium cable from cabinet to my property.Looks as if I might have to settle for these results.Looks as if cable from cabinet to property has deteriorated over the years,and maybe cable installed when houses were built in 1969.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 23

Hi DEGSY541

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you monitor the connection this week and post back on this thread on Friday, we can then check the connection stats/speed again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 23

Hi Debbie,

Openreach guy came yesterday and used a spare line from cabinet to grid,by my house.At the moment speed has increased a bit to--48.6 down. and 11.2 up,hoping it may increase a bit more to the 53 mbps.download speed before fault,will see if it increases and stabilises in next 10 days or so.

Message 7 of 23

Hi DEGSY541

This fault has now been closed. Has the fault been resolved?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 23

Hi DEGSY541

We will. The engineer should also contact you directly once the work has been completed.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 23

Hi Debbie-thanks for reply-please let me know when openreach contact you regarding the line repair.

thanks.

Message 10 of 23

Hi DEGSY541

Apologies, we have not received any further updates from Openreach expect the notes they left to advise further work is required.

The fault is still with Openreach so hopefully the engineer will complete this work as soon as possible.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 23

Hi Debbie,

Thanks,will await any updates from openreach,and yourself.

Message 12 of 23

Hi DEGSY541

Apologies for this.

I can also see the engineers notes advising that further work is required, however there are no additional updates as yet.

I will check this again in a couple of hours to see if Openreach have provided any further updates.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 23

Hi Debbie,

Engineer called Friday,checked everything and said there is a fault on line incoming to master socket.

Here is his report"I do not have the skills required to complete the task,and could not obtain assistance on the day.I am passing to an engineer with underground skills,because the fault has been proven underground.The line has been proven good to the PCP.The test towards the end customer was inconclusive".

Any news as to when Openreach will attempt to fix this fault?

Today,Sunday,my download speed is 45.2 mbps,upload is 9.5 mbps.

Spoke to your tech. support guy yesterday,and asked him what my guaranteed minimum speeds for my line should be for faster fibre with speedboost.He said--57.4 mbps.The best I have ever received is 53 mbps. ,possibly due to this underground line fault?

thanks.

Message 14 of 23

Message 15 of 23

Hi Debbie,

Many thanks-will keep you informed.

DEGSY541

Message 16 of 23

Hi DEGSY541

The engineer visit has now been confirmed for 20/12/2019 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 23

Good Morning DEGSY541

I've checked and I can see that the sync speed hasn't increased, apologies for this.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 23

Hi Debbie,

Today-44.8 down,11 up-down hasnt increased over the 2 days,up is acceptable,but down not.Not reaching guaranteed minimum fibre speed with speed boost.Looks like it will be another engineers visit to check line to master socket etc.If you book one,if possible AM. on Friday 20th. Dec. or Monday 23 rd. December or Monday 30th. December.

thanks.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 23

Hi DEGSY541

Thank you. Your line is in sync at 42.7mb.

Please can you post back on this thread tomorrow and I can check the connection stats again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 20 of 23

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for quick reply-will leave router at test socket for another 24 hours or so,its been connected now 22 hours,without a re-boot.What download speed are you getting when testing line to my master socket?If you are getting same download speed as I read,around 44.8,it must be a fault at master socket,or incoming wiring to it?

thanks.