cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre/WIFI Issues

freweyni
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 53 of 53

Hi,

I’ve been having issues with my fibre speed. My Broadband speed has decreased from a consistent 37mbps (max that my package provides) to 29mbps. This currently below my minimum speed guarantee of 31.9mbps. Although 29mbps should be plenty enough to watch videos online, I’ve been experiencing video stutter consistently via WIFI. I’m also experiencing unbearable lag while gaming via WIFI. 

Having accessed your support page, the speed test confirmed the slower speed to my router (see Picture) and when attempting to run a connection test, a fault was picked up, but a line test weirdly found no issues at all. The reference number to this fault is REP-12959300.

TalkTalk Speed Test.png

For the past fortnight, I’ve tried numerous troubleshooting options such as turning off the router for 30 mins, resetting the router and even connecting my router directly to the test socket, but none seems have solved the issue.

I’ve also accessed my router panel and I’ve noticed changes on my xDSL stats. These include my maximum downstream reducing from about 47500kbps to 28563kbps as well as having zero noise margin on my downstream. Also weirdly, my actual downstream rate seems to be higher than my maximum rate. Is this even possible? I’ve attached a picture of this for you to see.

Router xDSL Stats.png

I would appreciate it if this can be looked into and resolved as soon possible. Thanks.

0 Likes
52 REPLIES 52

Message 1 of 53

Morning,

Just to confirm, did you fill in your details when we sent you the PM? 

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 53

Hi Chris,

Is it possible to set a engineer visit for tomorrow PM.

As for the line profile, we are capable and for almost a decade achieved the max speed of our contract (37mbps), So why is the line profile only 30.9mbps. Our minimum guarantee is also 31.9 Mbps and this is below that as well.

As for wifi, you can disable wifi optimisation for now and will monitor if manual channel selection will improve the issues we are having.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 53

Regarding your other questions

The line profile doesn't appear to be restricting your speed

I can see that channel 6 is a less congested channel than the current channel 11 (there are also apps available for your mobile phone that you can use to check for wifi congestion)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 53

Hi freweyni,

If you'd like me to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 53

Hi Chris,

If an engineer visit is absolutely necessary then i'm happy with that and will need to find a date where i'm able to give access to my property. 

Also,  is there a reason on your end as to why our profile sync is set low at 30.9Mbps?

In regards to disabling wifi optimisation, if you were to do that, how would I go about finding a channel that is not congested?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 53

OK thanks. We can arrange an engineer visit to investigate the slow speeds, if you'd like me to do this please let me know and we'll confirm some details

Regarding the poor wifi performance, your current wifi channel is congested, there are other channels that are less congested which should result in improved performance. I can disable wifi optimisation which will allow you to manually change the channel, if you'd like me to do this please let me know

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 53

sorry Chris , as stated previously, I don't have a telephone. We use the landline for broadband only.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 53

Thanks for running the speed test. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 53

Hi Chris,

Yes, it's currently connected to the test socket. Why is the sync that low. Our line had the ability to reach speeds of around 45-48mbps and we always achieved the max speed of our contract of 37 mbps. 

Edit:  Now that i'm back at home, I performed multiple wired speed tests and all are giving me a maximum download speed of 24-25 Mbps.

Wired Speed Test.png

0 Likes

Message 10 of 53

Hi freweyni,

Line test is passing and your router is in sync at 30.9Mbps. Is your router currently connected to your test socket?

Chris

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 53

No worries, hopefully they will pick this up tomorrow. 

freweyni
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 12 of 53

Thanks Ferguson

Message 13 of 53

@freweyni I have moved and re-escalated the thread for you. 

0 Likes

freweyni
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 14 of 53

Hello,

Can this thread please be placed back to the Fibre section. Since I’ve created this thread (Four months ago), The speed issue is yet to be resolved. It’s constantly below the minimum speed of our contract and fails to achieve the maximum speeds of our contract (37 Mbps) that we’ve been accustomed to for close to a decade. In the past two months, speeds had dropped so low sometimes to the point the broadband becomes unusable. Web pages slow to load, Video calls lag, YouTube videos lag, online gaming lag and so on. Also, my household is realising that all our devices throughout the day are disconnecting and reconnecting back to the router randomly, causing disruptions for about 5-10 seconds each time.

This really now needs to be rectified once and for all.

3.png1.png2.png4.png

0 Likes

Message 15 of 53

Hi freweyni

I can see a credit has been raised to clear the charge. 

Regards

0 Likes

Message 16 of 53

@freweyni 

I have moved this to the Billing section for you where the support expert will be happy to have a look at this. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 53

Hi,

I’ve just seen my bill due to come out on the 4th Aug 2023 and your company has made a mistake. I’ve been charged £75 for the engineer visit on the 23rd June 2023. The engineer made it clear during his visit that the fault was outside of my property (manhole junction box to cabinet) and not my property, yet I’ve been charged for the visit. Please rectify this issue immediately by removing this charge from my bill.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 53

Hi freweyni,

Thanks for the update, I can confirm that the engineer visit has been cancelled

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 53

Hi Chris,

Just to keep you updated, I’ve cancelled my engineer visit for now. On Sunday, the internet speed got really slow, so I decided to see if leaving the router off for 30 minutes would fix the issue. My internet did improve considerably but not to normal levels yet. So, I just want to give it 48hrs for the line to stabilise to see if it could potentially return back to normal. If not then I’ll contact you to set up a new visit date.

Can you also please confirm that the appointment has been cancelled, as I’ve cancelled it through ‘Track My Fault’ but haven’t received any type of automated confirmation via email or text. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 20 of 53

Hi freweyni,

I've booked the appointment for  July 04 2023, PM  as requested, please let us know how you get on

Chris