FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN suddenly not working on TalkTalk

Mark9992
Popular Poster
Message 17 of 17

Hi, My partner's home to work VPN has suddenly stopped working through both TalkTalk WiFi and TalkTalk ethernet. It connects fine on a mobile hotspot (Vodafone). We're using the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
version SG4K100130. I've read elsewhere on the forum that others have had this problem and a new router was needed. Any ideas please?

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi jmcnally26

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

jmcnally26
First Timer
Message 2 of 17

I am having the exact same issue and I am just beginning to work from home. Can I get an alternative router? I am getting nowhere with your life chat.

JMC
0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Mark,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Mark9992
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 17

Old router posted back to you today. My partner tells me her VPN's working perfectly. Thanks again.

Message 5 of 17

Hi Mark9992

I'm so glad to hear that this is now working.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Mark9992
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 17

New router arrived this afternoon. Tested VPN on old router: still not working, refuses to connect. Swapped over to new router. Tested VPN: connected immediately. So the old router was the problem. A firmware update, or some other issue, sabotaged our VPN. I'll post the old router back to you shortly. My partner's not yet tested the VPN to ensure she can transfer files but, assuming she can, you've solved the problem, fast and painlessly. My partner starts a major project Monday: impossible without her VPN. So you've saved her bacon! Thank you!

Message 7 of 17

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Mark9992
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 17

Hi Karl, Thank you. I'll report back what happens.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi 

A Huawei Hub is on the way.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Mark9992
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 17

Hi Debbie, yes please, many thanks!

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi Mark9992

Thanks for your reply. I can send a Huawei WIFI hub for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Debbie

0 Likes

Mark9992
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 17

Hi Debbie, thanks for replying. Yes, VPN worked fine for years on this router, both WiFi and ethernet. I tested it yesterday, both WiFi and ethernet: not working. But works fine through a hotspot on my phone (Vodafone tower).

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Hi Mark9992

I'm sorry to hear this.

Was VPN previously working ok on this router?

Are you connecting wired or wireless

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Good news, thanks! We're using no special VPN software: just the built in VPN package which comes with Windows 10. If new TalkTalk router firmware really has broken standard Windows 10 VPN software, TalkTalk might like to repair it ASAP. Numerous homeworkers rely on VPN.

0 Likes

Mark9992
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 17

Good news, thanks! We're using no special VPN software: just the built in VPN package which comes with Windows 10. If new TalkTalk router firmware really has broken standard Windows 10 VPN software, TalkTalk might like to repair it ASAP. Numerous homeworkers rely on VPN.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Hi @Mark9992,

That is a brand new version of Firmware for that router, so it is likely you have just updated to that version overnight and that has caused the issue. A small number of customers have experienced similar issues, generally people who are using less common VPN services.

Can you confirm what VPN software you are using, the staff here will then be able to assist when they are back tomorrow.

0 Likes